Hawaii, February 2008

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Hawaii, February 2008

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wow.  You must have taken thousands of pictures.
Prompted by your comment, I checked to see. From 2/7/08 through 2/21/08, I took 2,975 pictures. It is customary for me to take about 1000 pictures a week when I go on vacation, so that's just slightly more than "normal." The most taken in one day was 462. The 1GB card in my camera can handle 577, way more than I'm likely to take in one day. I would transfer the pictures from the card to my Mac laptop just before going to sleep each night. And recharge the battery.

Actually, my son would sometimes grab my camera and take pictures where I couldn't/wouldn't/didn't go. For example, I believe he took some of those "sunset" pictures later in the thread with my camera.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Now where did we park that car?

Pretty little flowers, all singing the same song.

Oh, no! The wild chickens are attacking my son!

All I could utter at this scene was, "Wow!"

These flowers, truly native to Hawaii, have a nice view.

Notice the island at the left of the horizon, if you can tell where the sea ends and the sky begins.

Sigh. I'd like to go back.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Breath-taking!  =D>
KC is the way to be!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I'd forgotten all the chickens that roam in Hawaii.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Thank you for your comments, ATKC and Nota.

We are still on the same trail in Kauai. You will see more of it here. It follows a ridge, and you can see nice views on both sides.

Here, you can see the tips of semi-far-off islands.

Many, if not most, of the flowers you see in Hawaii are not native. This one *is*.

Another island peeking on the horizon.

Here's a peopled view of the long trail. Honeymoon couples, perhaps.

It's always the same scene on that side, with slightly different foregrounds.

This one reminds me of Jurassic Park.

I experimented with getting the camera to focus where *I* wanted it to.

I do like dark foliage against that light blue background.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Do you feel as if you are hiking along with us? We're on the same mountain-ridge trail.

Notice how we are looking at the same scene far below, but the foregrounds keep changing (as we walk and walk...)

Natural but gnarly staircase.

I have no idea what this thing is. It looks like one of those party favors you blow at New Years.

More odd plants.

These plants are the audience in a nature show.

Here's the other side of the ridge. Not quite so spectacular, but still pretty.

The path had interesting twists.

My son grabbed my camera, and so here I am, waving at you.

Aren't these purple ferns a sight?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Roanoker, I'm in Denver, Colorado right now (for a week).  I stand in awe at the awesome mountains.  But, your pictures make me look with even more amazement. 

I can only imagine how you must have felt when your were seeing this in person!
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Roanoker, I'm in Denver, Colorado right now (for a week).  I stand in awe at the awesome mountains.  But, your pictures make me look with even more amazement. 

I can only imagine how you must have felt when your were seeing this in person!
Oddly, I enjoy the vacation even more when I fuss with the pictures. I honestly do not remember most of the things I see while on site. Cameras are a godsend. After a trip, you can focus on your computer screen, taking all the time you need to soak it in. When you are actually there, you have to watch your step, keep track of your companions, check the time, avoid knocking another hiker off a cliff, and on and on. However, nothing can replace Hawaii's great climate. Ya gotta be there.

I hope you can take pictures while rubbing shoulders with the Rockies! Get distant shots and close-ups of whatever suits your fancy. And post them!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Honeymooners?

I applied a Photoshop "ripple glass" filter to the background to hide the undiserable bluriness. I kind of like it.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

These are the last pictures from 2/15/08.

This is one of my "Son! Sit! Stay!" shots.

This flower seems to glow.

There's a town down there.

Somebody else's dinner.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Just beautiful!  I will really miss these updates, Roanoker!  So, you better go on another trip soon.  :P
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Just beautiful!   I will really miss these updates, Roanoker!  So, you better go on another trip soon.  :P
Thank you! But I inadvertently led you astray. These were not the last pictures of the trip, just that day. (I can hear the groans of other folks. :D) There will be more pictures from Hawaii, taken on subsequent days.

However, I did just return from another trip. We drove to Niagara Falls, stopping by Mt. Vernon, Hershey PA, and Watkins Glen in New York. Not sure when I'll post those.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

It is now 2/16/08, and we are about to take a helicopter ride over Kauai.

There it is.

Now it's our turn. The young couple got the front seat, next to the pilot. We were told to wear black clothing, but the guy in front preferred to wear light purple. Its reflection is in many of my pictures.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Keep em coming Roanoker, I think we may be flying out to Hawaii in the next year and I will be reading this thread a lot.  Your photos are amazing.

Did you fly over or visit any of the active volcanic sites?

Also, did you do any dolphin or wale watching?

We did a whale watch in Maine last year and a dolphin watch in Gulf Shores this year.  Both were amazing.

Wife wants to do it in Hawaii.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Roanoker wrote: Prompted by your comment, I checked to see. From 2/7/08 through 2/21/08, I took 2,975 pictures. It is customary for me to take about 1000 pictures a week when I go on vacation, so that's just slightly more than "normal." The most taken in one day was 462. The 1GB card in my camera can handle 577, way more than I'm likely to take in one day. I would transfer the pictures from the card to my Mac laptop just before going to sleep each night. And recharge the battery.
That's a lot of shooting!! Your library must be huge, do you keep it all in iphoto?! I went back and tallied up my vacation pictures from Florida earlier this year and I came up with, 1 week 1100 photos. But I read a couple of books too.  :D  (I'll shoot up to five thousand shots a week when I'm on location working, but vacations are supposed to be.. vacations.)

I love all of your photos, thanks for sharing!!  And the Hawaii shots remind me of my favorite TV show LOST.... Anxious to see you shots of Niagra Falls.
the only thing for sure is change.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Here you go Roanoker, I don't want to hijack you thread, but thought you might like these.  We would like to do this in Hawaii!

Orange Beach, Alabama,

Bar Harbor Maine,

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

GRID wrote: Keep em coming Roanoker, I think we may be flying out to Hawaii in the next year and I will be reading this thread a lot.  Your photos are amazing.
Thank you, GRID. Your kind comments mean a lot. And you will love Hawaii!
Did you fly over or visit any of the active volcanic sites?
The active volcanos are on the Big Island, and that is the last of the three islands we visited. (The other two were Maui and Kauai.) We did visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, but we did not fly over. If we ever go back, we must do that. I will post any pictures I do have when I get to that part. Incidentally, my second-born son (who has great interest in geology) wrote the following in an email after the trip (not including the attached pictures):
One month since Hawaii....

.... there have been:

1. Lava crossing highway 130 (or what's left of it).
2. Lava entering the sea.
3. A new vent in Halema`uma`u (the large pit in the caldera).
4. Incandescence in Halema`uma`u.
5. Explosive eruptions in Halema`uma`u (first since 1924).

What else will we miss by one month? .....
Also, did you do any dolphin or wale watching?
We didn't do any dolphin-watching, but we did go out to see the humpback whales. Look on the first page of this thread to see the one fairly decent shot I got of a whale breaching. You can see a few more pictures of whale parts at the beginning of page 2.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Cyclops wrote: That's a lot of shooting!! Your library must be huge, do you keep it all in iphoto?!
Currently, I keep all the pictures (and music) on my PowerBook G4's 80GB HD. I occasionally back it up to an external 120GB HD. I have another 120GB HD where I have put older pictures and files in the past, but I prefer more immediate access. Thanks for reminding me to do a back-up soon.

I haven't explored iPhoto. Is it a good idea?
I love all of your photos, thanks for sharing!!
Thank you! I thrive on words like that.
And the Hawaii shots remind me of my favorite TV show LOST....
I understand that LOST is filmed in Hawaii. I believe our helicopter pilot said so.
Anxious to see you shots of Niagra Falls.
If I didn't have this job that takes 60+ hours a week, I'd be able to get to it sooner.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

GRID wrote: Here you go Roanoker, I don't want to hijack you thread, but thought you might like these.  We would like to do this in Hawaii!
Those are great pictures! You are not hijacking the thread. You are interacting with it, and I am delighted!

I like the way you tell a story with the boys on on the boat taking pictures of the dolphins splashing about in the water. (Nice looking boys, by the way.) And you managed to sneak in the KC logo. :D

Terrific shot of the two animals leaping up out of the water together, and the one where he is fully out of the water. Nice.

When you go whale-watching in Hawaii, be aware that boats are prohibited by law to get closer than 300 feet. You will get a lot of pictures of tail tips and residual splashes because they pop up and disappear fast.

What time of year were you in Maine? It looks cold. I've never been there, but I hear it is a beautiful place, perhaps known for its lighthouses.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Roanoker wrote: Those are great pictures! You are not hijacking the thread. You are interacting with it, and I am delighted!

I like the way you tell a story with the boys on on the boat taking pictures of the dolphins splashing about in the water. (Nice looking boys, by the way.) And you managed to sneak in the KC logo. :D

Terrific shot of the two animals leaping up out of the water together, and the one where he is fully out of the water. Nice.

When you go whale-watching in Hawaii, be aware that boats are prohibited by law to get closer than 300 feet. You will get a lot of pictures of tail tips and residual splashes because they pop up and disappear fast.

What time of year were you in Maine? It looks cold. I've never been there, but I hear it is a beautiful place, perhaps known for its lighthouses.
Thanks nota,

It was warm in Maine.  If you look close, you can see the boys are wearing shorts.  It was just super foggy and the boat can get you wet.  The light houses are cool though, we saw a lot of them.
Roanoker wrote: Thank you, GRID. Your kind comments mean a lot. And you will love Hawaii!

The active volcanos are on the Big Island, and that is the last of the three islands we visited. (The other two were Maui and Kauai.) We did visit the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, but we did not fly over. If we ever go back, we must do that. I will post any pictures I do have when I get to that part. Incidentally, my second-born son (who has great interest in geology) wrote the following in an email after the trip (not including the attached pictures):

We didn't do any dolphin-watching, but we did go out to see the humpback whales. Look on the first page of this thread to see the one fairly decent shot I got of a whale breaching. You can see a few more pictures of whale parts at the beginning of page 2.
Very cool photos.  Right now, I'm debating on whether to take the kids or not.  I think we might leave them here, but I think they would just go nuts if they didn't go.  The want to fly over (and visit) the volcanoes so bad.

I'm not into swimming or going to the beach all the much, I have just always wondered if Hawaii is worth going if you don't do the beach thing.