Arena Parking Challenge

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Arena Parking Challenge

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: T&I committee is hearing a sprint center parking report right now on channel 2.
according to parking control, P&L garages were only 20% full.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting...so where did everyone park?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

people were probably unaware of the underground garages or assumed they would be full do they took spots a little further away.

hilarious all the panic that proved to be just that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

There were a lot of folks in surrounding parking garages and surface lots I think.

That's good news, in that it shows that parking can be easily handled by surrounding facilities, and that non-event visitors should be able to find convenient parking in the P/L district even when events are going on.  I wonder, once the district is up and running, will restaurants offer parking validation for their customers?  Because it seems if parking prices get jacked up for everytime there's an event, non-event folks might try to avoid the area on those nights.... which wouldn't be good.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote: people were probably unaware of the underground garages or assumed they would be full do they took spots a little further away.

hilarious all the panic that proved to be just that.
I agree, but it will be more challenging when SC has a weekday event.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was actually pleasantly surprised to see so many people taking advantage of free or cheaper parking in the crossroads and hoofing it 3-8 blocks.  i arrived in the Crossroads around 5 to go to pizza bella for dinner and drinks and the street parking was pretty much nonexistent and all the Crossroads lots had people taking money to park there.  i managed to score a free street space on Main near Nara but that was the only spot i saw after 10 minutes of driving around the area. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they said they thought people parked south of the arena and walked. i'm not at all concerned about a weeknight event. people who work downtown mostly leave between 4 and 5 (at least that's how it looks to a pedestrian), and most events will start at 7 or 8.

and even if there was a "parking problem", who cares? take the freakin' bus or a cab. welcome to downtown 2.0.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

chrizow wrote: i was actually pleasantly surprised to see so many people taking advantage of free or cheaper parking in the crossroads and hoofing it 3-8 blocks.  i arrived in the Crossroads around 5 to go to pizza bella for dinner and drinks and the street parking was pretty much nonexistent and all the Crossroads lots had people taking money to park there.  i managed to score a free street space on Main near Nara but that was the only spot i saw after 10 minutes of driving around the area. 
I wonder, should this be something that's encouraged?  Taking the free spots that these businesses depend on for arena parking (especially when these folks walking 3-8 blocks could have easily parked in a Loop garage at that distance for $2)?  I think the bump in business the Crossroads saw probably outweighs any issues they might have for now....  but I'm wondering if there will be conflicts down the road as businesses continue to open.  I think the Loop has no parking issues, but in the Crossroads things are a little tighter (not bad right now.... but if we expect more and more businesses to open, it might be an issue on event nights).
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Sounds like a price reduction might be a good idea for the P&L garages.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

parking in the crossroads is NOT tight.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

99% of the time, parking is fine in the Crossorads.  On event nights (i.e First Fridays), it can definitely get tight, and that's precisely the times that i'm talking about.  Chrizow just stated it took him 10 minutes of driving around to find a free spot on Main during the opening concert, and I can vouch for difficulty finding free parking spots during First Fridays (particularly during the thick of it after 7).

I'm not complaining about it, since it doesn't bother me to pay a couple of bucks for parking (or walking half a dozen blocks), but I don't think it makes sense to direct folks to take up free parking in the Crossroads for arena events (as Collison did in his most recent column) when there's an oversupply of cheap/free parking in the Loop....

At the same time, who knows, maybe having these folks park in the Crossroads increases the likelihood that they'll grab a bite to eat or a drink before and after shows as they walk back....
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

ComandanteCero wrote: 99% of the time, parking is fine in the Crossorads.  On event nights (i.e First Fridays), it can definitely get tight, and that's precisely the times that i'm talking about.  Chrizow just stated it took him 10 minutes of driving around to find a free spot on Main during the opening concert, and I can vouch for difficulty finding free parking spots during First Fridays (particularly during the thick of it after 7).

I'm not complaining about it, since it doesn't bother me to pay a couple of bucks for parking (or walking half a dozen blocks), but I don't think it makes sense to direct folks to take up free parking in the Crossroads for arena events (as Collison did in his most recent column) when there's an oversupply of cheap/free parking in the Loop....

At the same time, who knows, maybe having these folks park in the Crossroads increases the likelihood that they'll grab a bite to eat or a drink before and after shows as they walk back....
There's places inside the loop and north of the loop for them to eat/drink before and after too.  I saw lots of free street parking inside the loop go unused that night.

(Incidently The Stables was foolish to terminate their Saturday hours.  They and Scooter's really missed out on a lot of business that night as I saw numerous people park at the City Market and walk south along Walnut.)

As for parking, imagine the first perfect storm of a good weather First Friday with a sold out Sprint Center event, a major Crossroads concert, something happening at Bartle, and a major City Market concert.  :)
artistboy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by artistboy »

Talking to a parking "guards" at the President Hotel on the EJ opening night, he told me the one big unknown for SC events was parking... and he said it went smoothly. They seemed pleased all went well. The other parking garages seemed to the in good business as well.

On the other hand, one of the street vendors on Grand could only bitch and moan about potential parking problems and how the SC would never succeed because of it. He seemed unfazed when I mentioned what good comments the parking guards down the block had to say. Unfortunately these are the same complaints I hear from my coworkers.

Walking around, it seemed like all went smoothly and hopefully when P&L opens more people will come back and realize the parking garages under ground... of course the coworkers seem to think underground parking will be dangerous too so...

If the event parking complaints continue, I say set up some tailgating in those empty North Loop lots so people can grill, drink, and walk half a mile to the events just like they do at Arrowhead. They don't seem to mind a long walk like that.
INGREDIENTS: COFFEE, BEER, AND ILL WILL.
Mfd. by KCMO © 1975
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

artistboy wrote: On the other hand, one of the street vendors on Grand could only bitch and moan about potential parking problems and how the SC would never succeed because of it. He seemed unfazed when I mentioned what good comments the parking guards down the block had to say. Unfortunately these are the same complaints I hear from my coworkers.
What a dummy.  Instead of complainging he should wheel out his cart and profit from it.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I'm going to the Van Halen concert. What are my best options for parking? Any lots/garages with high fees that I should avoid? Thanks.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KC0KEK wrote: I'm going to the Van Halen concert. What are my best options for parking? Any lots/garages with high fees that I should avoid? Thanks.
Park any legal place you want, there won't be any problems at all.

Remember, street parking is free after 6pm.

Avoid any third-party surface lots that want more than $10. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Park in the crossroads and walk.  You are best to just park west of Main and south of Truman.  The TWA garage is five bucks.  If you want a close garage with less congestion, I would recommend the Oak garage at 12th and Oak (10 bucks).  If you want to park in the P&L district, the Block garage and the Town Pavilion garage will be pretty open at night and also ten bucks.  Just don’t park in the surface lots all along the entryways into downtown (off ramps that dump into EB Truman, 15th etc.) and watch your parking sign restrictions on weekdays and you will be fine.

There are so many parking spaces downtown and since nothing else is going on downtown right now.  You will be able to park just about anywhere you want for under 10 bucks.  I just tend to do the free thing.  It’s only a five minute walk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kc...you should go without any hints and report back your experience.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCPowercat wrote: kc...you should go without any hints and report back your experience.
Good idea. Will do.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KC0KEK wrote: I'm going to the Van Halen concert. What are my best options for parking? Any lots/garages with high fees that I should avoid? Thanks.
head up Main or Baltimore into the Loop, there were a bunch of parking garages offering spaces for 2 bucks no more than a 4-5 block walk to the Sprint Center (i.e Main/11th).  If you get there early enough you can also find plenty of free street parking in that area too.