Ramp metering coming to KC

Transportation topics in KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ramp metering coming to KC

Post by KCMax »

Initial ramp meter run-through calls for more testing
Engineers have canceled a full run-through tonight after initial tests didn't go well this afternoon. They expect to conduct more testing Friday and make a final decision on start time by Monday afternoon.

"If there are any issues with the final testing, we'll keep them dark until after Thanksgiving," said Mark Sommerhauser,
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Early report on I-435 ramp meters shows mixed results
The meters ? green and red traffic signals posted on the entrance ramps to the interstate ? have had a spotty record of improving traffic flow since they were installed in November 2009, a new study shows.

Although speeds increased on some parts of I-435 from Overland Park to south Kansas City, traffic flow has stayed the same or worsened in other areas.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i have never once seen the meters in action.  when are they turned on?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

"where speeds on some segments — such as the Nall/Roe interchange — increased as much as 11 mph. The average speed was 73 at that location"

i can't believe people bitch about congestion when average rush hour speeds are higher than the posted speed limit.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

chrizow wrote: i have never once seen the meters in action.  when are they turned on?
I have seen the meters at the onramp from Wornall to eastbound I-435 once.  I drive through there twice a week at rush hour about the same time.  No clue why they were on one time only.  Other conditions seem the same each trip.  Is it tied into SCOUT somehow?
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i saw the presentation kcscout staff made to a marc meeting in december.  ramp meter operation is triggered by level of congestion -- they like to turn them on before the situation gets too bad.  they look at traffic on the entire freeway segment, and then turn all meters on at once.  they didn't say what specific observed speed or other criteria they actually use.

interestingly, the presenter told me after the meeting that they plan to try hov bypass lanes next year.  being able to get on without waiting for the light would be an added incentive to carpool.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

modot will install a ramp meter on the NB I-35 on-ramp at penn valley park next year.