Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by chingon »

The short answer is that black people live there and white people watch the news.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

wouldn't this just turn out to be another TSC type deal..if it is indeed built in this location...I'll bet in 5-10 years everyone on here that wants it built here (even me) will be cying about how its sooo far out from everything else..
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Blinders?  That's all I can come up with.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: wouldn't this just turn out to be another TSC type deal..if it is indeed built in this location...I'll bet in 5-10 years everyone on here that wants it built here (even me) will be cying about how its sooo far out from everything else..
Where in the hell do you want to put it?  159th and 69?  K-10 and Renner?  It's not going and shouldn't go downtown.  Bannister is fine, but I think it should go to the SPORTS COMPLEX myself where the roads are in place, the parking is there and it would be one more investment in the area.  Can you imagine 3 modern stadiums out there?  Better than building all new infrastructure at 159th IMO. 

I guarantee you, attendance will not be higher just because it's in JoCo.  Put a new 22,000 stadium at the sports complex and it would draw the same if not more people as it would be more accessible to more of the metro area.  I'm telling you, people in Blue Springs, the Northand and even Lee's Summit are not driving to the K-10 or far south 69 corridors on any regular basis.

We just need a soccer specific stadium to get the crowds back up and why not add it to the TSC.  You know, if we built a soccer stadium out there, it would be one more venue for concerts, car shows etc and it would be one more reason to build some sort of transit system along 70 and redevelop the 70 and 40 corridors.

But I forgot, KCMO simply can't do any more "regional" projects, and the rest of the city (yea, the KS side) has no interest in funding projects in KCMO.

So we get a stadium at 159th and 69 or no stadium at all.

Welcome to KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

GRID wrote: Where in the hell do you want to put it?  159th and 69?  K-10 and Renner?  It's not going and shouldn't go downtown.  Bannister is fine, but I think it should go to the SPORTS COMPLEX myself where the roads are in place, the parking is there and it would be one more investment in the area.  Can you imagine 3 modern stadiums out there?  Better than building all new infrastructure at 159th IMO. 

I guarantee you, attendance will not be higher just because it's in JoCo.  Put a new 22,000 stadium at the sports complex and it would draw the same if not more people as it would be more accessible to more of the metro area.  I'm telling you, people in Blue Springs, the Northand and even Lee's Summit are not driving to the K-10 or far south 69 corridors on any regular basis.

We just need a soccer specific stadium to get the crowds back up and why not add it to the TSC.  You know, if we built a soccer stadium out there, it would be one more venue for concerts, car shows etc and it would be one more reason to build some sort of transit system along 70 and redevelop the 70 and 40 corridors.

But I forgot, KCMO simply can't do any more "regional" projects, and the rest of the city (yea, the KS side) has no interest in funding projects in KCMO.

So we get a stadium at 159th and 69 or no stadium at all.

Welcome to KC.
Grid...why don't you blow off some more steam..then reread my comment....woooo..saaa..wooo..saa..*rub your ears*

1st...I do support a stadium on top of the bannister location...knock out two ..or hell three..birds with one stone
2nd...the TSC would be even better
3rd...I was simply stating that in due time we WILL hear about how shitty that location is/was...aka...kemper..TSC...even if the TSC serves its purpose perfectly and keeps that area from being blighted, look at how many shitheads are on here saying that the TSC needs to go DT or somewhere more "urban" because god knows that the TSC is a horrible failure and is sitting in the middle of nowhere?  Its ineveitable..even if we build a new stadium in a good location NOW...LATER we will never hear the end of it.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: Grid...why don't you blow off some more steam..then reread my comment....woooo..saaa..wooo..saa..*rub your ears*

1st...I do support a stadium on top of the bannister location...knock out two ..or hell three..birds with one stone
3rd...I was simply stating that in due time we WILL hear about how shitty that location is/was...aka...kemper..TSC...even if the TSC serves its purpose perfectly and keeps that area from being blighted, look at how many shitheads are on here saying that the TSC needs to go DT or somewhere more "urban" because god knows that the TSC is a horrible failure and is sitting in the middle of nowhere?  Its ineveitable..even if we build a new stadium in a good location NOW...LATER we will never hear the end of it.
That wasn't really directed at you im2kull, just posting and my thoughts took off.  I know where you stand, we are on the same page. ;)

We have committed to the TSC, why not take it to the next level rather than tyring to duplicate it someplace else?  Again, not directed at you im2kull.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

im2kull wrote: Grid...why don't you blow off some more steam..then reread my comment....woooo..saaa..wooo..saa..*rub your ears*

You somehow turned "Baseball Stadium" in to the entire TSC.  I don't know of anyone who wanted Arrowhead Stadium Downtown.

It was all about moving the K there.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but the TSC does make some sense. Where would you fit it though? In the neighborhood north of I-70 by the FCA? I don't think the Chiefs are going to want to take out any parking lots.

Is the TSC being considered at all or is it just a thought on this forum?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but the TSC does make some sense. Where would you fit it though? In the neighborhood north of I-70 by the FCA? I don't think the Chiefs are going to want to take out any parking lots.

Is the TSC being considered at all or is it just a thought on this forum?
I have been saying that from day one.  I think the main issue is Jackson County has absolutely no leadership or vision and that is controlled by them.  It would be MUCH cheaper to build there as the land is already flattened, the infrastructure is there etc.  Just build it on the parking lot someplace and relocate a few hundred parking spaces where the footprint of the new stadium is, or just deal with a little less parking.  The basic stadium structure would not cost much, Jackson County could use tiffs etc to pay for it and have another venue to keep the TSC busy.

Again, they are clueless.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Its not even that trivial of a thing...

If we build a stadium on the TSC site...

Just simply spend an extra 1-10 mil and build a friggan garage...it'd be just as easy as building any more surface parking..if thats even a viable solution...idk why there aren't garages there anyways..makes no sense...then they sit back in their high backed leather chairs and wonder why there's ZERO density around the TSC..save the clarion and QT...

..what are we supposed to do..pay 20 bucks a day to tailgate?
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: Its not even that trivial of a thing...

If we build a stadium on the TSC site...

Just simply spend an extra 1-10 mil and build a friggan garage...it'd be just as easy as building any more surface parking..if thats even a viable solution...idk why there aren't garages there anyways..makes no sense...then they sit back in their high backed leather chairs and wonder why there's ZERO density around the TSC..save the clarion and QT...

..what are we supposed to do..pay 20 bucks a day to tailgate?
I don't think people would want to tailgate in parking garages. I'm not even sure if that's legal or not???

Too bad we couldn't swap Kauffman (put it DT) for a soccer stadium.  :lol:
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Hispanics make up a portion of the Wizards fans. In the past, not a large percentage, but a noticeable one. The exception to that the last two years are the matches against Chivas USA. Those matches brought out a sizeable contingent of Chivas supporters.

The new ownership is committed to having a much larger presence in the hispanic community as well as the "soccer fan" demographic. HSG, for what little marketing they did, catered mostly to the "soccer mom/family" demographic. There will be no more "Zard Cards" or deeply discounted tickets directed at kids and families. They'll be trying to get more 18-34 year olds.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

GRID wrote: I have been saying that from day one.  I think the main issue is Jackson County has absolutely no leadership or vision and that is controlled by them.  It would be MUCH cheaper to build there as the land is already flattened, the infrastructure is there etc.  Just build it on the parking lot someplace and relocate a few hundred parking spaces where the footprint of the new stadium is, or just deal with a little less parking.  The basic stadium structure would not cost much, Jackson County could use tiffs etc to pay for it and have another venue to keep the TSC busy.

Again, they are clueless.
As someone who works in the streets at Arrowhead (31 years, Assistant Director of Traffic ) I can tell you that on Chiefs game days, we traditionally park 25-27,000 cars. There are 22,000 and some change parking spaces on site, not including the gravel lot out behind lot N, near the RV lot. If you've been to a Chiefs game, you know we park grass around the perimeter of Dubiner Circle and along the strips between parking lots. During inclement weather, we lose these spots, making surface parking an even greater premium when crummy weather hits. (a side note for yoiu Chiefs parking folks - grass parking many times beats parking lot parking - specially if you're tailgating) Sacrificing parking spots for another stadium facility is really not an option.

Vacant land near TSC.

Most of the land directly S. of the facility is not an option given there's an abandoned rail line that actually cuts across TSC property on the south side. If you go in Gate 4, it runs over the roadway and under the Gate 5 roadway. All lands S. of the RR right of way and W. of the Gate 4 roadway belong to Jackson County and are park lands. Lands S. of the RR right of way and E. of the Gate 4 entry are vacant and I believe held privately, but it still leaves the RR right of way to deal with. There was actually talk a few years back of re-activating that route for rail traffic. The Rails To trails folks have also been after that route to use as a link to the Katy Trail. Bottom Line - RR right of way use still way up in the air.  

An Option

There is some land out by the PF (practice facility) that could be utilized without great encroachment on existing parking. There's a major utility (electric) right of way that bisects that land however so I'm not sure how viable that would be. If you were to develop the soccer facility at or near TSC, this might be the land to do it on. Existing infrastructure is there, you could lease parking space from TSC in the form of Lot N and parts of F, G and H if neccessary and toll booths would already be in place at Gate 5 and 6. Utilities could probably be re-routed or buried and office space could be integrated into the stadium facility.

Central location as well.

Sportster
...random thoughts
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chingon wrote: The short answer is that black people live there and white people watch the news.
Possible, but it seems like the ratings would be better if you were scaring white people about places they actually go. You know, WAL MART COULD KILL YOUR CHILDREN NEWS AT ELEVEN!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

CENTRAL TIME.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The stadium will go at 135th in OP next to the lastest youth fields proposal or somewhere north of the river in, or near, North KC and Riverside. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Know for a fact that you can tailgate in Parking Garages...People do it at Brigade games and College stadiums (Tennessee, Auburn)....But the cost would be excessive...
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Word is that Ray-Pec is may yet end up as the Wizards temporary home.  ](*,)
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

Why not have them play at William Jewell, Mid America Nazarene, or KU for that matter. Not Friggin Ray-Pec!!!
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Hell, i'd rather see it at Rockhurst before Ray-Pec. Although, Rockhurst has artificial turf and Ray-Pec has grass.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.