KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the seven alignment options will be narrowed to two at the aug. 17 parking and transportation commission meeting. time/location tbd. those two alignments will be presented on aug. 23 at a public meeting adjacent to the streetcar party/demo being planned by RTA.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the final alignment will be decided in september!
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone care to offer their predictions on the final two alignments? mine are main (bidirectional) and main/walnut (couplet). here's the map again.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Straight down Main the whole way may encourage more infill that Main desperately needs, however it would be tight.

Walnut/Main sounds good too and may have less issues with car traffic but I'd rather see infill development first along Main, especially on N side of loop and through Xroads.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Perhaps Grand? Seems like we have been hearing a lot of positive things about making Grand more grand the last few weeks. A streetcar route next? Could be.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

smh wrote: Perhaps Grand? Seems like we have been hearing a lot of positive things about making Grand more grand the last few weeks. A streetcar route next? Could be.
Being part of the highly regulated boulevard system, I don't think Grand would be a good choice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

quixotic is confirmed for the streetcar demo!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the winners are main and grand. no couplets. more info to come...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Could the grand complete street plan go along with this streetcar?  If so I might be leaning towards grand.

Ehhh I think I'm still for main. 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Could the grand complete street plan go along with this streetcar?  If so I might be leaning towards grand.

Ehhh I think I'm still for main. 
if the streetcar ran down the center of the street, sure. running along the curb would interfere with the planned bike lanes.

also, the consultant report notes that if main is chosen, MAX should be moved to grand for a (gasp!) straight shot from CC to RM.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay I think I might be for main even more now. Plus sprint wouldn't be able to shut down grand for large events with a streetcar running down it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

If they get the MAX route straightened down Grand, plus dedicated bike lanes, and a streetcar on Main I'd call it a pretty massive win.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

That would be great if they moved the max to grand for a straight shot from RM to CC.

I always felt a max down broadway would work well/better?  B/c then DT you'd have the Troost max line, Streetcar down main (if it went all the way to plaza) and Broadway max line (good for covention center access).  Seems more balanced.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chingon wrote: If they get the MAX route straightened down Grand, plus dedicated bike lanes, and a streetcar on Main I'd call it a pretty massive win.
The idea that this city might actually do something not-stupid is warming my skeptical heart.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote: The idea that this city might actually do something not-stupid is warming my skeptical heart.
Don't get ahead of yourself.  Plenty of time yet. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

if you haven't seconded this already, please make haste!

http://www.kcmomentum.com/parking-and-t ... h-downtown
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I was wondering what, roughly, is the cost to move the max to a new street?  Mostly just redoing curbs and building/moving shelters?  Does any one know how much was the cost of setting up the troost max minus acquiring buses?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: I was wondering what, roughly, is the cost to move the max to a new street?  Mostly just redoing curbs and building/moving shelters?  Does any one know how much was the cost of setting up the troost max minus acquiring buses?
technically, they could get away with just eliminating the union station stop and moving the crossroads stop. those are the only ones physically on main. that could be covered by a PIAC request or from the public works portion of the 1/2-cent transportation sales tax. no idea what it would actually cost, but the entire main street MAX was $35 million (i think, in 2005 dollars). you wouldn't HAVE to implement "signal priority" on grand north of 22nd, but i'm sure they will want to do it.

ideally, the line would not run on 8th/9th/11th/12th/16th at all and simply continue straight to its current river market terminus. i imagine this would reduce travel time from RM to plaza by 10 minutes?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: ideally, the line would not run on 8th/9th/11th/12th/16th at all and simply continue straight to its current river market terminus. i imagine this would reduce travel time from RM to plaza by 10 minutes?
This would be incredible. It takes me 45minutes right now from RM to Plaza and it is really stretching my desire for a carless commute.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James