The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Streets were clear Sunday.  Homes Assn pays a contractor to plow plus the City of Raymore crews were also going by.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Can't remember seeing this much snow and cold in KC. Maybe that stretch before Christmas in 1989. We're basically screwed with the temps so low. The spring will also bring about more potholes than we've probably ever seen.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

NDTeve wrote: Can't remember seeing this much snow and cold in KC. Maybe that stretch before Christmas in 1989. We're basically screwed with the temps so low. The spring will also bring about more potholes than we've probably ever seen.
IT's the freeze thaw cycle that brings potholes. So if it stays frozen and doesn't thaw it should be better, pothole wise.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Or the amount of sand and salt.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this weather is awesome, and terrible.

no problem getting around in our area, though we live about 50 feet from a major road (gillham) that has been cleared pretty quickly throughout this ordeal.  

i've actually been pretty impressed with the snow clearance that i've seen.  unlike past years, i didn't have any near-accidents.  i stayed with my parents in raytown 12/24-26 and when i drove into KCMO along blue parkway it was like night and day (KC snow removal superior to raytown).  

we drove to oak park mall on 12/31 and, while the major roads in OP were perfect, the side roads seemed just as bad as in KCMO.

also, anyone who uses KCMO snow removal to justify their move to JoCo is a complete asshole.  
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

shinatoo wrote: IT's the freeze thaw cycle that brings potholes. So if it stays frozen and doesn't thaw it should be better, pothole wise.
Many potholes have already appeared from the snow plows snagging ice that penetrates into cracks in the pavement.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Streets were clear Sunday.  Homes Assn pays a contractor to plow plus the City of Raymore crews were also going by.
That's good. I saw the news interviewing some neighborhood way out south that didn't have city services and their residents were irate the HOA hadn't done anything about the streets. They also showed rural unincorporated parts of Clay County having pretty much no snow removal. So I guess my side street could be worse.

I will say I have never lived in a city - small or large, suburban or urban - where people did not complain about snow removal.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: also, anyone who uses KCMO snow removal to justify their move to JoCo is a complete asshole.  
More like an idiot.  Who would justify their location on the basis of something that happened a couple of times per year in a bad year and not at all in a good year. 
KCMax wrote: So I guess my side street could be worse.

I will say I have never lived in a city - small or large, suburban or urban - where people did not complain about snow removal.
I've never understood why residents of a street would not simply hire a guy to plow the street independent of what the city does or does not do.  Jeez, what would it cost to have person drive down the street with a plow divided over the 30 houses on the street.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Highlander wrote: More like an idiot.  Who would justify their location on the basis of something that happened a couple of times per year in a bad year and not at all in a good year. 

I've never understood why residents of a street would not simply hire a guy to plow the street independent of what the city does or does not do.  Jeez, what would it cost to have person drive down the street with a plow divided over the 30 houses on the street.
"Tragedy of the Commons."
- Maitre D
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it's called an HOA. i wouldn't trade mine for the world. i even get the sidewalks cleared.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I still can't believe how much more snow KC has accumulated than StL. We have barely had a dusting, and that melted off before the cold front came in. Also, the way this cold front has played out is interesting. Its presently 10 degrees warmer in St. Louis and 15 degrees warmer in Chicago! No negative temps in site for this week for StL or CHI, unlike KC. I tend to relish a couple decent snowfalls, so i'm jealous.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

warwickland wrote: I still can't believe how much more snow KC has accumulated than StL. We have barely had a dusting, and that melted off before the cold front came in. Also, the way this cold front has played out is interesting. Its presently 10 degrees warmer in St. Louis and 15 degrees warmer in Chicago! No negative temps in site for this week for StL or CHI, unlike KC. I tend to relish a couple decent snowfalls, so i'm jealous.
So this map would be inaccurate with respect to St Louis?  It suggest St Louis has 2-4" on the ground.  
http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weath ... .aspx  (snow cover)

Houston is expecting another snow later this week and possibly record lows (not just for the date) with sub 20 degree temperatures forecasted.  
Last edited by Highlander on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

forget KC, OKC broke the record for any snowfall event in recorded history... over 14 inches. that's pretty serious for a place where any annual snowfall isn't even expected.

the star reported recently that this december wasn't even a record month in KC when it came to snowfall. of course, rarely are two snow events so close together with no real temperature break in between.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The problem here is that the length of the snowfall and the drifting meant that crews couldn't get to side streets before it compacted to ice.  In many neighborhoods the 10 inches of snow is now 2-3 inches of ice firmly bonded to the pavement.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Highlander wrote: So this map would be inaccurate with respect to St Louis?  It suggest St Louis has 2-4" on the ground.  
http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weath ... Cover.aspx  (snow cover)

Houston is expecting another snow later this week and possibly record lows (not just for the date) with sub 20 degree temperatures forecasted.  
Yeah, that's not accurate. Theres nothing on the ground south/east of the Missouri River (or at least around I-64 and south in St. Louis County/City) in the St. Louis area. Now, my parents live almost exactly halfway to Hannibal from downtown St. Louis, and they probably have 1-2". That cold front must have moved across the state a little slower than they thought it would/ did, allowing the little snow we had to completely melt before the big ice box moved in to town. I drove to KCK that night through that cold front, it was a bit of a shock when I opened the car door in Odessa, MO (not to mention seeing the Twin Cities esque snowblanket/dirty snow).

That was also one of the richest sunsets I've seen this year, with the open road and the frozen clarion skies. Gorgeous. I love clear midwestern/western autumn/winter sunsets - though we didn't get many clear golden autumn sunsets this year in Missouri, that colbalt sunset made up for it.
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

Why have no school districts in Kansas cancelled? Most in MO have
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

pstokely wrote: Why have no school districts in Kansas cancelled? Most in MO have
Missouri requires districts to build more snow days into their calendars than Kansas does, so Missouri districts usually have more leeway for canceling classes without extending the school year.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote:   In many neighborhoods the 10 inches of snow is now 2-3 inches of ice firmly bonded to the pavement.
Or as in my neighborhood - firmly bonded to the pavement in some places, with broken holes scattered libberally about, and numerouse wavy ruts.  Thereby ensuring that a slow drive up the block gives you the authentic, undulating, sea-sick feeling of sailing a small boat in a rough ocean. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

3-5 more inches tomorrow. Winter Storm Watch. 14 inches from one storm would probably be a record in KC as it was in OKC. I remember when we got 12 inches in 1993 and the front page of the star called it a record.
- Mark Twain
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not sure if that is an overall record or just a record for Dec.  I do remember a snowfall that took place the first weekend of Jan in 1979 that I thought was 15 to 16 inches.  My daughter was born in late Nov, 1978 and during that snowfall I spent about 30 hours at work.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.