OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Post by KCMax »

Too bad they weren't open for New Years. That would have been a helluva way to have a grand opening.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

walked by the President tonight. lobby looks fabulous, and the street-level drum room sign on the corner of 14th and baltimore is lit. street and sidewalk work is almost complete, save for all four street corners and grouting of the concrete street surface. nice brickwork adorns the entire sidewalk in front of the hotel. north end of the building on baltimore appears to be the gift shop. behind the hotel, a circle drive is nearly complete. hilton flag is now hanging in front. overall, a top-notch restoration from the outside. can't believe this gem was nearly lost.

one thing of note, the site to the south is now a repaved surface lot. maybe temporary between now and next fall when a new garage is completed? will go back this weekend during daylight to take photos.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote:
one thing of note, the site to the south is now a repaved surface lot. maybe temporary between now and next fall when a new garage is completed? will go back this weekend during daylight to take photos.

Hmmm... good thought, I hadn't made that connection.  That could indeed give the President parking until the garage can be built.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: walked by the President tonight. lobby looks fabulous, and the street-level drum room sign on the corner of 14th and baltimore is lit. street and sidewalk work is almost complete, save for all four street corners and grouting of the concrete street surface. nice brickwork adorns the entire sidewalk in front of the hotel. north end of the building on baltimore appears to be the gift shop. behind the hotel, a circle drive is nearly complete. hilton flag is now hanging in front. overall, a top-notch restoration from the outside. can't believe this gem was nearly lost.

I'll admit I've been worried about the fate of the President for the first year before P+L gets into full swing and everything is under construction around it. But who wouldn't want to say at a swanky, retro hotel downtown? I think this hotel will instantly get good word of mouth around town as there isn't much like it except the Phillips. People can stay at the Westin, Hyatt, Marriot(s), Fairmont and get a somewhat similar aesthetic experience, but the Hilton President sets itselft apart. It also has the advantage of flying the only Hilton flag(excluding Embassy Suites, Hampton, etc.)  in the urban core.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

They seem to be starting to keep the lights lit regularly now too. 
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I went on a quick tour of the President today.  WOW.  It's great.  We started at the very top, where the Congress ballroom has been restored and has views of the city from 3 sides.  I saw the Aztec room on the 2nd floor that has a Spanish theme.  Then down to the lobby and the Drum Room.  Finally up to a guest room, which was quite nice.

There are original pieces everywhere, and where an original piece was no longer available, they had replicas made.

The Drum room was much different than I expected - pretty small.  There is a larger fine dining room off of it.  The lobby is beautiful.

I brought my camera along, but the battery died after the second picture.

Opening day is January 5th!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How were you able to get a tour?
There is no fifth destination.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

During the day today there were food trucks everywhere delivering to the President.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Lots of windows were lit up tonight.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

They were having a party this evening for the owners/investors - the first official function.

I got a tour by tagging along with a friend who was looking at the ballroom for a wedding reception.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

did anybody catch the story on the front page of the star this morning?  it had pictures and everything, this place looks BEAUTIFUL.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13512360.htm

they have even more pictures online...so pretty
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

we wanted to stay here so bad this december, but it was just a few weeks off. we did sneak a tour of the lobby, and we had wanted to see the upper floor ballrooms, which, they ( hotel sales staff ) obliged, because we had heard the marble floors, 80 years old, were saved. and it is true, they even have a book in the lobby that shows before and after. way cool.

kansas city is DAMN lucky to have ron jury, perhaps if we had 2 more of him, we would still have the twa building. but given a choice, i would rather have the president!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Those pictures are awesome. That ballroom looks like an awesome place to have a wedding/party.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

what do you suppose a 4 hour rental goes for up there?  i've no idea on the cost of a regular ballroom, i'm sure that one is a lot more though.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

It appears from the photo that the ballroom floors are terrazzo and not marble.

(Shinatoos dicky comment of the day).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shaffe wrote: what do you suppose a 4 hour rental goes for up there? 
My first pass reading this led me to think you were talking about the hotel rooms, not the ball room.  :shock:  Better stick to the Hotel Midwest if you want an hourly rate.  :D
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

shaffe wrote: what do you suppose a 4 hour rental goes for up there?  i've no idea on the cost of a regular ballroom, i'm sure that one is a lot more though.
The room is free as long as you spend at least $10,000 in food and/or beverage.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

And you only spend $47 on food and beverages, then what?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCLofts wrote: The room is free as long as you spend at least $10,000 in food and/or beverage.
how long do you get it for 10 large?  that seems like a lot, but i've never tried to rent a ballroom or anything.  how great would it be to have your prom there instead of the airport embassy suites (where mine was).
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shaffe wrote: how long do you get it for 10 large?  that seems like a lot, but i've never tried to rent a ballroom or anything.  how great would it be to have your prom there instead of the airport embassy suites (where mine was).

well, from my experience as an executive chef at a hotel, the rental for any function room in a hotel ( ballroom, smaller meeting rooms ) is waived by meeting a food and beverage minimum. 10 grand usually meets it, some cities are far higher on weekends. when i was at hyatt in kc, 10 thou, provided the room was open, got it for a max of 6 hours, or if the even starts later than 7, you get it until local ordinances require last call. i am guessing the hotel pres will be no different.

as far as your prom, high schools tend to go places that are cheap, where they can feed like 400 people for 5,000.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D