Post by moderne »

Are y'all into polar plunges also?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:34 pm
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:25 pm "Chiefs fans care bout tradition. It's not just ownership. I think we are more similar to Buffalo than most other football cities and the fact they are building a brand new open-air stadium in a very cold climate speaks a lot to what their fans consider Buffalo Bills football."

Can you imagine the Packers building and playing in a dome stadium?
I can not! There's really only 3 cities that come to mind that cherish this cold weather tradition- KC, Green Bay and Buffalo.
Dude KC is not even close to the same winter weather realm as Buffalo & Green Bay. Those are real snow cities that are guaranteed 1-2 snow games every year. KC gets a snow game like once every couple years, if even that.

Arrowhead is known for the noise & atmosphere, not the outdoor weather elements-- the weather elements aren't impactful enough here to change the feel of Arrowhead at all. That's why it's stupid to base this decision around it. You can put a roof on the stadium and the noise level will still be there. And then we could also unlock a whole bunch of events.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:25 pm "Chiefs fans care bout tradition. It's not just ownership. I think we are more similar to Buffalo than most other football cities and the fact they are building a brand new open-air stadium in a very cold climate speaks a lot to what their fans consider Buffalo Bills football."

The only barrier preventing this vision in my mind is their shear lack of funding
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 pm

I can not! There's really only 3 cities that come to mind that cherish this cold weather tradition- KC, Green Bay and Buffalo.
Dude KC is not even close to the same winter weather realm as Buffalo & Green Bay. Those are real snow cities that are guaranteed 1-2 snow games every year. KC gets a snow game like once every couple years, if even that.

Arrowhead is known for the noise & atmosphere, not the outdoor weather elements-- the weather elements aren't impactful enough here to change the feel of Arrowhead at all. That's why it's stupid to base this decision around it. You can put a roof on the stadium and the noise level will still be there. And then we could also unlock a whole bunch of events.
This is one of more detached and flat out wrong posts you have ever made. Very clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been to almost every home game over the last 20 years. It’s not about “snow”. It’s about the overall elements of being in the Midwest and the often volatile weather we can get later in the football season. Rain, sleet, snow, wind and cold all play into a phenomenal football atmosphere. There’s a pride factor knowing we still show up in those conditions to support our team. Honestly, I’m not surprised you don’t understand.

It’s also a competitive advantage for the team who practices in this stuff and often faces opponents who are not used to colder temperatures.

Lastly, Boston, Denver, Seattle, NYC, Pittsburgh all built open air stadiums too because football is meant to be played outside!

I get you want the occasional mega event like final four and smack down but getting something like that once or twice a decade just isn’t worth the 500 million dollars or negative impact on tradition.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

langosta wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:44 pm

The only barrier preventing this vision in my mind is their shear lack of funding
Ownership is on record saying the cities reputation for cold weather and snowy games heavily influenced the decision to not put a roof on the stadium in Buffalo.

KCPowercat is gonna want us back on Kauffman stadium asap!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

A dome is more likely than them giving up 25,000 parking spots at $60 a spot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:56 am
langosta wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:44 pm

Ownership is on record saying the cities reputation for cold weather and snowy games heavily influenced the decision to not put a roof on the stadium in Buffalo.

KCPowercat is gonna want us back on Kauffman stadium asap!
I mean we have a chiefs stadium thread lol.

As a long time former season ticket holder, it was pride to go out there in the cold. It was more to do with your friend group though. It's not fun in one bit and it wore me out enough to get rid of tickets, which I wish I hadn't now a days!
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 pm Arrowhead is known for the noise & atmosphere, not the outdoor weather elements-- the weather elements aren't impactful enough here to change the feel of Arrowhead at all. That's why it's stupid to base this decision around it. You can put a roof on the stadium and the noise level will still be there. And then we could also unlock a whole bunch of events.
I agree with this.

Isn’t Arrowhead tighter dimensions than modern NFL stadium standards? I remember reading that this greatly impacts the famous crowd noise.

I am curious if moving Arrowhead would mean they need to follow the current setup which would totally change what makes the Chief’s game day experience great. Tailgating and crowd noise define Arrowhead in all weather conditions. I’m having a hard time thinking about tailgating in the cold then going into a temperature controlled dome that has half the crowd noise to watch the Chiefs.

To keep this baseball related….Royals are way overdue for an update on their plans. I don’t understand why this is getting dragged out so long. It feels like people are getting less and less interested in a move and the Royals in general the longer this takes.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

droopy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:30 am.

To keep this baseball related….Royals are way overdue for an update on their plans. I don’t understand why this is getting dragged out so long. It feels like people are getting less and less interested in a move and the Royals in general the longer this takes.
Pretty simple: Jackson County and the team are like 180 million dollars apart on contributions and on the funding mechanism.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I know more people are joining the Royals side to work with the city on getting this done. I think that will help move things along.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:51 am

This is one of more detached and flat out wrong posts you have ever made. Very clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been to almost every home game over the last 20 years. It’s not about “snow”. It’s about the overall elements of being in the Midwest and the often volatile weather we can get later in the football season. Rain, sleet, snow, wind and cold all play into a phenomenal football atmosphere. There’s a pride factor knowing we still show up in those conditions to support our team. Honestly, I’m not surprised you don’t understand.
My first big DCole fight-- let's go!!

If I wasn't a diehard NFL fan I wouldn't be making these claims. I, as well, have been to every home playoff game since 2017. Let me be clear-- I love rugged football weather more than anyone. When it comes to NFL weather, nobody thinks of KC or Arrowhead. It's literally just Buffalo and Green Bay. When it comes to NFL atmosphere, it's Seattle & KC without a question. Which means the fans are our strength, it's not anything to do with weather elements. You could build an entirely new stadium in NKC, outdoor or indoor, and the same fans will bring the same atmosphere with them. The physical structure & location of the building has nothing to do with what makes Arrowhead special. It's literally just the loud fans.

And yeah, some fans do like the weather elements. But alot of them don't. I remember the Chiefs Colts playoff game in 2019 that had snow the tickets were going for like $30 like an hour before the game because fo the...weather. Most fans aren't clamoring to attend weather games.

So you can debate whether the fans value having outdoor weather included, sure. But, moving the stadium to NKC would have *zero* impact on decreasing the stadium atmosphere. The same fans will show up, and they'll be just as loud. I don't know why you're incessant on saying it must stay at the Truman Sports Complex for it to remain a gem. We could get the same stadium and fans, just plop it in a location where you get real skyline views & a streetcar line connected. Will be like having legendary Arrowhead on steroids now.

TLDR: If you want to keep it outdoors, fine, I'm willing to budge on that more. But there's literally no reason to keep it in that horrific location over so many vastly superior locations in KC. Trust me, it'll still get the same atmosphere with the fans.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:02 pm

If I wasn't a diehard NFL fan I wouldn't be making these claims. I, as well, have been to every home playoff game since 2017. Let me be clear-- I love rugged football weather more than anyone. When it comes to NFL weather, nobody thinks of KC or Arrowhead. It's literally just Buffalo and Green Bay. When it comes to NFL atmosphere, it's Seattle & KC without a question. Which means the fans are our strength, it's not anything to do with weather elements. You could build an entirely new stadium in NKC, outdoor or indoor, and the same fans will bring the same atmosphere with them. The physical structure & location of the building has nothing to do with what makes Arrowhead special. It's literally just the loud fans.

And yeah, some fans do like the weather elements. But alot of them don't. I remember the Chiefs Colts playoff game in 2019 that had snow the tickets were going for like $30 like an hour before the game because fo the...weather. Most fans aren't clamoring to attend weather games.

So you can debate whether the fans value having outdoor weather included, sure. But, moving the stadium to NKC would have *zero* impact on decreasing the stadium atmosphere. The same fans will show up, and they'll be just as loud. I don't know why you're incessant on saying it must stay at the Truman Sports Complex for it to remain a gem. We could get the same stadium and fans, just plop it in a location where you get real skyline views & a streetcar line connected. Will be like having legendary Arrowhead on steroids now.

TLDR: If you want to keep it outdoors, fine, I'm willing to budge on that more. But there's literally no reason to keep it in that horrific location over so many vastly superior locations in KC. Trust me, it'll still get the same atmosphere with the fans.
It's not a matter of "liking" cold weather games; nobody enjoys donning five layers and feeling uncomfortable. What makes these games special is the sacrifice they embody. It's akin to persevering through pain to reach a goal, demonstrating unwavering commitment and passion, even when the conditions are far from cozy. This steadfast dedication is a hallmark of our fandom.

The structure of the stadium plays a pivotal role in generating the extraordinary noise levels that distinguish it from the majority of modern venues I've visited. Attending a football game here should be a stark departure from watching a movie at your local AMC. I've been to enclosed stadiums where fans remain seated throughout, only becoming vocal when their team achieves success. It's a rather unexciting experience.

It's important to clarify that when I mention cold weather games being a part of the Chiefs' identity, I'm not exclusively referring to historic snow games in the mold of Green Bay and Buffalo. I'm talking about temperatures first and foremost.

In terms of the physical location, I hold no particular affection for TSC; in fact, I find it subpar. However, it coincidentally houses one of the most iconic sports venues in the world. Traveling to other cities to watch the Chiefs, I've consistently heard home fans mention Arrowhead as a must-visit NFL stadium. We could debate this endlessly, but I'm strongly convinced that the fanbase would explode in anger if the Chiefs were to contemplate building a new, enclosed stadium.

In the end, the fans are what matter most. They have steadfastly supported this franchise, regardless of its performance. Unlike the Royals fans who come and go with the wins. The Royals can afford to piss off some old timers, the Chiefs not so much.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:51 pm In the end, the fans are what matter most. They have steadfastly supported this franchise, regardless of its performance. Unlike the Royals fans who come and go with the wins. The Royals can afford to piss off some old timers, the Chiefs not so much.
Just give us a new location, I don't care if it's enclosed or not. Just please move out of that shithole that no amount of development could even fix and will never get connected by transit.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

KC only has like 1 or 2 games below 30 degrees a year. People made big deal about Detroit and Minnesota moving inside also. Chicago is going to do the same thing soon. The cold doesn’t bother these guys. Half played in worse weather in college and they all practice indoors anyway.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Two reasons to have a retractable roof; big events, and freezing rain. I can handle all other types of football weather, but 40 and raining just sucks ass.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Another way to think about this is if they want money from the city/state, then they need to do something good for the city/state as well. And that means making it so we can get more events in KC. Not just taking millions in our public money and then only making it palatable for Chiefs season ticket holders and nobody else. They should have to do something that benefits the *public good* as well.

The Royals are taking millions in public dollars-- but their project is going to do immense good for the city. So how about the Chiefs?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

"Update: After closed session, Jackson County legislators passed a resolution directing Executive Frank White to send back recommendations on Royals ballpark reply terms, submitted by the team in answer to the below $300M counteroffer, within 48 hours. Royals were -not- in favor."

https://x.com/KCBJ_Thomas/status/171657 ... 67740?s=20
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:02 pm

Sorry this information is inaccurate. Arrowhead was designed for crowd noise. Plenty of articles specifically mention this. From the fact that the seats are closer to the players than any other stadium, to the field being a certain distance actually under ground level to the incline of seats in upper level to push noise back down to the center of the field. All of which are no longer regulation.

Arrowhead benefits plenty from the design of the stadium.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's talk baseball! We even had recent news on this with Jackson county apparently not approving what the royals wanted.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:09 am Let's talk baseball! We even had recent news on this with Jackson county apparently not approving what the royals wanted.
Not sure how the JaCo legislature as a whole feels about supporting a downtown stadium but my assumption is that if that is what KCMO wants then let KCMO solely have a tax to support it and not JaCo residents living outside of KCMO.