Grinders

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Grinders

Post by beautyfromashes »

I understand being defensive about a business you've spent your life trying to build, but I don't think the comment should be taken with offense.  What would have been better for the restaurant- scooter making a complaint with a manager that the owner never hears about or feels the need to address, or posting a comment in this thread that he knows the owner will see and address immediately.  And this site has pushed way more business to Grinders than any one bad review can negate.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

All good Beauty...I do like this forum and the chance to discuss and listen..if there are problems I try to address.. I am very approachable and want the best..I eat almost every meal out and support many places..I also boycott the ones that dont change or appreciate the business and definitely do some bitching as well. were very Lucky at Grinders to have the biz we have and have the want to keep it coming in..without peeps we have no BIZ.
Now on another note....to show our appreciation to our customers..we have teamed up with Screenland and are doing FREE Sunday nite movies, June 26th is Blazing Saddles
P&L Free since 2008
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Oooh, I hope you're serving beans!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We went and sat on the patio yesterday about 5:30.  We had a new girl, very petite, said it was her 6th day.  She was very attentive and did a good job, way better than the "seasoned ones"  :lol:

Philly was a bit drier than normal but still delicious, and I've always appreciated the amount of meat/bun ratio.  I've learned that Grinders is the only acceptable place to get a philly.  Otherwise you're bound to get 90% bun and 10% meat.

We did ask for togo boxes 3 times to no avail and I finally went into West and got my own  :shock:

But we had a good experience yesterday.  Will have to check out the movies.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

beautyfromashes wrote: scooter making a complaint with a manager that the owner never hears about or feels the need to address, or posting a comment in this thread that he knows the owner will see and address immediately.

I definitely didn't mean offense by it, I knew that by posting it here Stretch would be certain read it and be able to take steps to address it.  I plan to work on the Grinders virgins that were part of the group to try to get them to give it another chance.  They loved the funky dough appetizer so I know they'd like the pizza.

Plus, those of you who know me know that I can put down a lot of beer, so I'm sure Stretch would prefer to have had his staff sell more than just two small plastic cups of it to me during all that time.  :)
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

grovester wrote: Oooh, I hope you're serving beans!
Although I haven't thought of this, it seems so obvious. STRETCH, you better make sure there's a bean special that night. And put some whoopie cushions on the picnic table benches.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

They already have the campfire!
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

"Scooter not sure what you do or where you do it but we have 60 employees that look forward to getting a paycheck, if you have problems you should deal with it on site.. "

What a shitty attitude, regardless of how much you try and backtrack. Forget Grill 101, I'd say Public Relations 101 would be a good start.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

grovester wrote: Oooh, I hope you're serving beans!
And no Irish.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I find it ironic the publicity the owner seeks in various media outlets such as here (internet), tv (food network), radio....he then jumps on a customer for voicing their opinion over those same channels.

those who complain here are probably some of your most loyal customers....we by in large aren't some one time customer coming in for the George Clinton concert.....so maybe they are overly critical, they will also be back.....but they are showing you why others may not be back without changes....
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
foodsnobnot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by foodsnobnot »

I don't think I've ever had bad service there, but I definitely have had some cold, soggy food on occasion.  But like said above, it's Grinders, I will go back.  It's just disappointing when some of your favorite food (at one of your favorite hangouts) comes out sub par.

Which is why I think this forum is an excellent place to voice those concerns (unless you can flag down Stretch himself, or whatever owner of the restaurant you are in, at the time).  I've seen quite a few owners on this board positively respond to critiques.  They want their restaurant to be the best, and having issues brought to their attention helps them achieve this. 

Let's just hope no one ends up like this for reviewing restaurants...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/2 ... 83219.html
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

power..yes I get a little defensive here and there..I also realize this forum is where I get answers and pretty much true opinions. I do however find it very difficult to go back and fix a situation when I'm not there or on the road.Grinders has Managers to deal with the problems at the time it's occurring, something we never had a year ago and this particular one may have been handled and not posted on YELP, where I think there's slew of people who make comments without thinking of the consequences. The comment was to scooter about that not here. And yes I know he likes beer.
P&L Free since 2008
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Regardless of the medium they choose to use, blaming a guest for giving negative feedback is just bad business.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

elextendo wrote: and not posted on YELP, where I think there's slew of people who make comments without thinking of the consequences.
Maybe you should train your employees to think of the consequences of bad service and subpar food.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

elextendo wrote: yes I get a little defensive here and there.
I do however find it very difficult to go back and fix a situation when I'm not there or on the road.Grinders has Managers to deal with the problems at the time it's occurring, something we never had a year ago and
Sat back to see how this would develop for awhile and it is quite interesting.  With regards to managers I have seen them to be the problem at times.  While I am waiting for a refill for a drink that has been empty for some time the manager is up front joking with the help, especially my server.  Other times at the same place I have my refill before my drink is empty and the manager (another one of course) is busy going from table to table talking with the customers about the experience.  Maybe you have a bad manager or two.
but I also cant fire everyone and start over
feel for you, especially considering the replacements can be worse than who you let go.  But if you keep a bad employee on then you must deal with the consequences.  And a bad review is one of them.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Sure did turn interesting. As often as possible I read these an or their sent to me to follow up. I do appreciate the interest and thoughts to improve. I'm a sculptor. Still find the ways of the restaurant world. Not looking for breaks or for people not being judgmental. But as always whatever you post can be mis interpreted. Posh love your brilliant post. Your a genius.
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Hiring people to work there that like their job would be the first step to fix this mess...
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Props to Elextendo for representing his actual self on the Interwebz. 
That said, Mr. Tendo, take anonymous commenters' opinions with a big, elk-sized, salt-lick-sized grain of salt. 

Who here complaining has ever worked in the restaurant industry?  Hands?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

my hand is very highly raised. I often go to Grinders, but most every time I go I think to myself how wildly different it would be ran if I were in charge.

Still, I'm a fan of the place, glitches in service and all. I'm just not a fan of shitty attitudes that towards people who have had bad experiences: all that does is compound the problem.