im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by im2kull »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:07 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:03 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:52 pm North Kansas City
This idea clearly had a lot of thought put into it, but there's just one big problem. There's no way the Merrimans own all necessary land for this scope.
It's already done.
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:03 pm I still think overall it would be silly to go to NKC. But they seem to be taking the NKC site seriously. Do they really have that much land already in hand?
Yes.
I’m glad that it was pointed out that most of the land is already under control. That means that the North Kansas City site might really be an option for them.
I think you are misunderstanding. It is 100% assembled.

Take that how you want. I've been saying this for awhile now, so I'm glad to see others slowly seeing the light.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I went around the East Village this afternoon to get some current versus envisioned photos. I plan to go back and do North KC tomorrow since I need to look at the site plan a bit more to get correct locations. Locations shown here are approximate and line up with renderings and site plan.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:13 pm I think you are misunderstanding. It is 100% assembled.

Take that how you want. I've been saying this for awhile now, so I'm glad to see others slowly seeing the light.
Even more interesting.

While I'm still leaning heavily towards the East Village being the new home of the Royals, the North KC vision could offer a solid roadmap for developing that part of town. Since it's all under control, a phased development could deliver what's shown, just without a stadium. Thoughts and dreams of SportingKC going there aside, it's a solid vision and I like the intention.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah all this did today was further confirm that I think this is going to EV. Don’t know how anyone really takes away that this is going to NKC from today Tbh.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm Yeah all this did today was further confirm that I think this is going to EV. Don’t know how anyone really takes away that this is going to NKC from today Tbh.
Only the fact that the rendering data I have says East Village was rendered in October 2021 and NKC in July 2023. NKC is a much more recent vision. Doesn't mean much, but surprising to see anyways. We all know East Village has been on top of their mind for a long time now.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KC_Ari wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:07 pm The NKC site is terrible for getting into and out of with no way to fix it for anyone south of the river (most fans). Even with the hypothetical streetcar stop on swift they have called out.

The only thing it has going for it is more assembled acres in friendly hands, that's it.
There will be plenty of road capacity for the nkc site. It will take some mods and planning but the bridges and nkc gridded streets can easily handle it.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:37 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm Yeah all this did today was further confirm that I think this is going to EV. Don’t know how anyone really takes away that this is going to NKC from today Tbh.
Only the fact that the rendering data I have says East Village was rendered in October 2021 and NKC in July 2023. NKC is a much more recent vision. Doesn't mean much, but surprising to see anyways. We all know East Village has been on top of their mind for a long time now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CwQyP5JpY7A ... BiNWFlZA==

Are these pics from 2021? I don’t know enough about those particular views to say.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:52 pm

Are these pics from 2021? I don’t know enough about those particular views to say.
I received a packet of the renderings and when saved to my phone, they show the "production" dates. Granted, that could mean when the picture was taken by the drone photographer and not the actual rendering production date. But notice in the East Village rendering, where the rest of the skyline is shown, 3 Light isn't in it yet. There's nothing wrong about this either, just interesting enough to point out. Proves that they've had the East Village desire for at least two years now.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:56 pm
Imarealperson wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:52 pm

I received a packet of the renderings and when saved to my phone, they show the "production" dates. Granted, that could mean when the picture was taken by the drone photographer and not the actual rendering production date. But notice in the East Village rendering, where the rest of the skyline is shown, 3 Light isn't in it yet. There's nothing wrong about this either, just interesting enough to point out. Proves that they've had the East Village desire for at least two years now.
Makes sense to me. These aren’t too different from the ones we saw almost a year ago for the EV site.
SouthKC_Citizen
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SouthKC_Citizen »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:28 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:13 pm I think you are misunderstanding. It is 100% assembled.

Even more interesting.

While I'm still leaning heavily towards the East Village being the new home of the Royals, the North KC vision could offer a solid roadmap for developing that part of town. Since it's all under control, a phased development could deliver what's shown, just without a stadium. Thoughts and dreams of SportingKC going there aside, it's a solid vision and I like the intention.

I think Royals should take EV and Sporting KC should take NKC. That would be perfect….
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:28 pm While I'm still leaning heavily towards the East Village being the new home of the Royals, the North KC vision could offer a solid roadmap for developing that part of town. Since it's all under control, a phased development could deliver what's shown, just without a stadium. Thoughts and dreams of SportingKC going there aside, it's a solid vision and I like the intention.
Hearing that there have been overtures to this behind the scenes. I don't know if it would be part of the same tax proposal with the Northland adding themselves to the sports tax for a SKC stadium, but that sure seems like it'd make sense. Would get a bit stadium crowded with Current, NKC and EV in very close proximity but it would push a massive storm of development.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I’m on record of saying downtown, at EV. The renderings are nice. However I really wish they would have a more prominent fountain/water feature & a Crown shaped score board. Those 2 elements are what makes the K distinct & almost iconic as they have been there since 1973. It is what makes the K instantly recognizable. These new renderings really do nothing to play up the history of these features. Yes there is a fountain, buts it’s almost an after thought throw in instead of an iconic feature. Really hope others feel this way & can voice feedback to make them listen. For all the world class sports architecture & design talent our city has these renderings almost seem like a “graduate project” of design. Just my opinion but I was hoping these companies would see this as their chance to do something WOW, in their hometown.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

These really aren’t renderings per se, they are location mock ups to show where the pieces might fit and what would be included. Really high level starter plots. You can’t really look at design details at all. Those will come after the site is chosen and they start working towards financing and approval.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Why?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Lot of confirmation bias in this thread tonight.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:08 pm
Why?
Because of what Chris said earlier, and the note about how many more structures would have to be removed for NKC to happen. Also just from hearing the execs speak today.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

After a long day of stewing on this I have some thoughts....

-I wish they would go a little more vertical in the EV site, although I can live with it
-The ballpark looks **far too basic**. Especially for all the hype around KC having the best sports architects
-The pedestrian bridge(s) going over East Loop is a super underrated asset to gain here
-The NKC ballpark looks better than the EV one, but EV location and spin-off is far superior
-The renderings list almost all the buildings as commercial and not residential...how there is little to no residential planned here I have no idea
-I think this project will spur a lot more projects than the renderings can even show (particularly around Grand)

-Petco Park is the closest comp, maybe a mix of Nationals Park in DC as well
-This would be far superior to what they build in Target Field & Busch stadium surroundings

-My final thought, just a hunch, I think this project will finally give KC a really active downtown
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Like the NKC Stadium and the Downtown location.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

what team would Nashville rather have? would they rather watch replays of the Titans or Vols during the summer instead?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Constantly seeing that the NKC is the much better looking stadium but that EV is the much better spot for it.