GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GO Cardinals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KCMax »

Ponson confirmed as starting the home opener. Horacio Ramirez will be the #5 starter. Bannister shipped to Omaha, Joel Peralta released.

The Star had an article today about how Ponson, Ramirez and Davies have posted three of the ten worst ERA+ in the last three seasons. And we have all three! Lucky us!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If you're looking for a laugh, go back and read the first page of this thread (while it's still April Fools' Day!)

It's awesome.  Go Royals!
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Don't know if any of you have been following Royals pitching prospect Chris "Disco" Hayes, but he's pretty interesting. There were some great interviews with him on "Rany on the Royals". He's a submarine right-hander (they call him "Disco" because he throws in the 70's).

Anyway, he has an MLB blog and wrote about his opportunity to get in a big-league spring training game for the first time. It's really a great read.

http://discohayes.mlblogs.com/
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Throw another one on the, uh, Cardinals bandwagon: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/0 ... -for-2009/

Picked to win the AL Central, and Greinke for AL Cy Young.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

STLMax wrote: Ponson confirmed as starting the home opener. Horacio Ramirez will be the #5 starter.
Was it Horacio Ramirez that teamed up with the other "Ramirez" last year in the bullpen that did great?  If so, that's one thing I don't understand....why take a player who pitches wonderfully out of the pen, and ship him to the starting rotation?  Why not put him back in the pen when he clearly isn't starter material...its a completely different world.  Why mess with a good thing?

$82 bucks says that's what the Yankee's are asking themselves again after Joba Chamberlin either injures himself again, or pitches horribly as a starter.  Who's left in their pen now?  Gobble?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KCMax »

Ryan Shealy shipped to Omaha.

Looks like there are two bench spots to be fought over among Tony Pena Jr., Shane Costa, Mitch Maier, and Brayan Pena.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Bring on the White Sox...

ImageImage

KC is the way to be!
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

They kept Brayan Pena as a 3rd catcher instead of Costa as a 4th outfielder.  Essentially that means that we have Bloomquist, Callaspo, and Tony Pena as backups and all project better than Costa as a hitter.  Thats puzzling to me.  They had to keep Bloomquist with his guaranteed contract, and I think all of the 3 others were out of options.  I can see keeping Callaspo, but I would have dropped Tony Pena and kept Costa.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Tomorrows game has been postponed to Tuesday because of the forecast of rain/snow in Chicago.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Tomorrows game has been postponed to Tuesday because of the forecast of rain/snow in Chicago.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

More proof that Chicago sucks!
KC is the way to be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

AllThingsKC wrote: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

More proof that Chicago sucks!
I hate that opening day is postponed, but I look at this way: one more day of crappy weather in Chicago this week and Sir Sydney doesn't start the home opener.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Pendergast wrote: They kept Brayan Pena as a 3rd catcher instead of Costa as a 4th outfielder.  Essentially that means that we have Bloomquist, Callaspo, and Tony Pena as backups and all project better than Costa as a hitter.  Thats puzzling to me.  They had to keep Bloomquist with his guaranteed contract, and I think all of the 3 others were out of options.  I can see keeping Callaspo, but I would have dropped Tony Pena and kept Costa.
Supposedly Brayan Pena can play the both the corner infield spots and outfield as well.  I am not generally a TPJ fan either, but the dude has had a hell of a spring, hard not to reward that if you want players to have incentive in your organization.  If a month from now he is back to batting in the .100s than by all means ship him out permenantly. 
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Supposedly Brayan Pena can play the both the corner infield spots and outfield as well.  I am not generally a TPJ fan either, but the dude has had a hell of a spring, hard not to reward that if you want players to have incentive in your organization.  If a month from now he is back to batting in the .100s than by all means ship him out permenantly. 
I can see that, though keeping B. Pena with Bloomquist and Callaspo is all the infield backup you need.  I just think Pena Jr.  was less of a keeper than Costa.  If Pena Jr. had some flexibility other than a SS backup, I could make more sense of it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Pendergast wrote: I can see that, though keeping B. Pena with Bloomquist and Callaspo is all the infield backup you need.  I just think Pena Jr.  was less of a keeper than Costa.   If Pena Jr. had some flexibility other than a SS backup, I could make more sense of it.
Hopefully Pena stays hot for a few weeks and some team desperate for infield offense gets suckered into dealing for him before the inevitable regression.  :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:   I am not generally a TPJ fan either, but the dude has had a hell of a spring, hard not to reward that if you want players to have incentive in your organization. 
I agree.

Signed,

Luke Hochevar

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

KCMax wrote: I agree.

Signed,

Luke Hochevar
Now now, I'm sure Luke understands that it just wouldn't be the Royals without some bizarre, self-sabotaging roster move right before the start of the season.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I'm lost...what's the deal with Hoch?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Signed,

Luke Hochevar
I am hoping that the Royal's decision on Hochevar was more a sign that they do indeed have bigger plans for him this season.  If the big league 5th starter position in April really is just going to be spot start/bullshit mop-up duty like they have indicated, than perhaps the thought was that it would be better for Hochevar to continue getting regular starts until they really are ready for a full time 5th starter in KC.  Just a thought. 
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Geeze..I just realized that while I love the idea of Meche starting against the Sox on their opening day, we get stuck with Sir. Sidney for OUR opening day!  Damnit!
THINK (ONE) KC.
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

Signed,

Luke Hochevar
Exactly.  I don't want to bash them for every little thing, but how TPJ makes this roster along with Pnson and Ramirez is baffling.  That said, if we used spring training as the end all evaluation, we would be looking for a #1 and #2 in the rotation too.