KCKev wrote: Where are the pictures?
I didn't get any of the hail.  :(
KC is the way to be!
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by KCLover »

Some potentially bad storms in the west heading our way that have had rotation or produced tornados.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Brian Busby!  Gary Lezak!  GET OFF MY FUCKING TELEVISION SCREEN!!!  Can I just watch the fucking playoff game?!

I mean, this coverage is absolutely outrageous.  On both ABC and NBC, storm coverage has been streaming uninterrupted for a full goddamn hour. 

I don't pay a $115 HD Time Warner cable bill to watch the fucking weather channell!!! 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Hey at least they give you a little box in the lower left of the screen... that's progress.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

KC-wildcat wrote: Brian Busby!  Gary Lezak!  GET OFF MY FUCKING TELEVISION SCREEN!!!  Can I just watch the fucking playoff game?!

I mean, this coverage is absolutely outrageous.  On both ABC and NBC, storm coverage has been streaming uninterrupted for a full goddamn hour. 

I don't pay a $115 HD Time Warner cable bill to watch the fucking weather channell!!! 
Your absolutely right your god damn game is much more important than peoples lives in a potentially deadly situation. Tornados were spotted, numerous tornado warnings were issued. I even saw a Tornado but fuck that your game is more important.  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

You do realize this was the Finals though right?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I get where he is coming from.  This is 2008 right?  HDTV, all digital etc?

Why can't we have more control over these weather updates from our home.  If there are tornadoes in Leavenworth, why do I care in Lee's Summit?  Why can't we just flip off the weather stuff if it doesn't affect me or in my case, I don't care 99.9% of the time anyway.  Unless I see shit flying around the yard and sirens going off, I don't care :).

But some people, like my wife, watch these weather updates like a freaking hawk, switch between the channels and think everything is coming our way and scaring my kids to death.

So, while I'm upstairs watching something other than the local networks, my wife and kids are in the basement because there is a tornado warning in Shawnee.  We have a nice basement with another big screen etc, but they still choose to be down there "just in case".

Anyway, where is the technology.  I just want to be able to turn it off.  We have plenty of TV's to watch the weather drama on if needed.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I too am like your wife in that regard. I switch between channels for the new data constantly. What a weather dork I am.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

They don't completely interrupt programming because they're concerned about people's lives. They do it because they think that they have to, to remain relevant. If Channel 41 is interrupting programming, then by God, Channel 4 is as well!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCLover wrote: Your absolutely right your god damn game is much more important than peoples lives in a potentially deadly situation. Tornados were spotted, numerous tornado warnings were issued. I even saw a Tornado but fuck that your game is more important.  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Oh my goodness!  A tornado touched down 45 minutes east of Kansas City!  In the Spring!  During tornado season!  Jesus.  I wouldn't have been able to figure that out without Brian Busby and Gary Lezak rambling on about absolute nothing for 1.5 hours on major network channels.  Seriously, what ever happened to the severe storm warning box in the corner of the screen? 

I mean, yeah I understand the safety concern with severe storms, but welcome to 2008, for god's sake.  We've got weather hotlines, we've got internet, we've got storm sirens, we've got the "Weather Channel!"  And, you know what really gives a tornado away?  The green fucking sky and 100 m.p.h winds blowing trees through the streets.  If you can't figure out that you'd better get your dumb ass to the basement, than you're probably gonna be the first casualty. 

Welcome to the midwest.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KC-wildcat wrote: Oh my goodness!  A tornado touched down 45 minutes east of Kansas City!  In the Spring!   During tornado season!   I wouldn't have been able to figure that out without Brian Busby and Gary Lezak rambling on about absolute nothing for 1.5 hours on major network channels.  Seriously, what ever happened to the severe storm warning box in the corner of the screen? 

I mean, yeah I understand the safety concern with severe storms, but welcome to 2008, for god's sake.  We've got weather hotlines, we've got internet, we've got storm sirens, we've got the "Weather Channel!"  And, you know what really gives a tornado away?  The green sky and 100 m.p.h winds blowing trees through the streets.  If you can't figure out that you'd better get your dumb ass to the basement, than you're probably gonna be the first casualty. 

Welcome to the midwest.
God bless us, everyone.

KC is the way to be!
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

KC-wildcat wrote: A tornado touched down 45 minutes east of Kansas City! 

Oh yeah, that's great, but I have pictures that I took of one on the ground just west of the K-7 & Shawnee Mission Parkway area.

The rest of your post isn't worth responding to. We both have our views on this.  Weather channel, internet or not the local news has the best coverage and I enjoy the helicopter views that you don't get on the weather channel. I understand i'd get my panties in a twist if I mentioned a portion of an NBA finals game. I mean doesn't the NBA finals games last several weeks? It's not like you just missed the superbowl.
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

The best part of this discussion is that the portion of the game that was blocked due to Busby's coverage was a blow out - Lakers up 21 after the first quarter, 18 at half-time.

Had people been watching that, they would have tuned to a different channel.

BUT

Since Busby hooked us on returning to the game, we stuck around to see a great second half.

From the darkness came the light!
Indecision is the root of evil.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Do any of you weather buffs out there have recommendations on a decent weather radio?  I bought a Midland in May but I've come to the conlusion that the one I got is defective--it never picked up a single watch or warning, even though I had the "SAME" codes set up correctly.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I was at Radio Shack yesterday and when the Severe Thunderstorm Watch was issued...about 20 of them went off at the same time. Sounded like a shit storm. I think like everything else...you get what you pay for.
- Mark Twain
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Sometimes, I hate Kansas City.
KC is the way to be!
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Anybody get any damage?
I noticed a lot of trees down, news paper bins thrown around everywhere.
I-70 at SE corner of the loop was under water, i got stuck in that crappy jam.
There is an underpass on Benton at I-70 that had cars with water up to their roofs.
Noticed a large portion of the crossroads without power starting at Truman Road.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KCLover wrote: Anybody get any damage?
Downed power and phone lines behind my place, downtown, but they only affect a few buildings. A couple of cars will remain immobile, possibly for a few days, due to the LIVE power lines that are draped across them right now... but since the lines are in fact intact and working (!!!) we're low on the repair list!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Power was out for five hours in the freighthouse district.  Looked like a damn huricane.  All of the standing water in the street kept rapidly reversing tide because the swirlling wind was driving so hard. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it wasn't too bad in south hyde park.  lots of rain and wind and a brief smattering of minor hail.  the lights flickered a couple of times, but stayed on. 

i was driving on troost around 9:15 and i saw that there was no power at all on Armour Blvd within viewing distance of Troost.  it was pitch black and scary and apocalyptic.