P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: The funny thing is it's 10x more diverse than the typical Westport or plaza bar I enter.
Yeah. That's the ironic thing about P+L. All the people that call it "Power and White" hang out at places that really are all white whereas P+L is actually quite diverse relative to KC nightlife.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

man, I get tired of all the P&L bashing too.  While I think a lot of the comments directed toward the Live block in particular have merit (stereotypes and all), at least among the urban nerd crowd, one can have a fantastic time in the area without too much exposure to "that scene".  

I consistently enjoy Flying Saucer, Bristol, the AMC Mainstreet, Fran's, Gordon Biersch and occasionally Maker's, or the Copaken Stage.  And the beauty of the district on a busy weekend night, or whenever really, is that you can enjoy these sort of "edge" locations (i.e. not directly in the Live block scene) while experiencing the energy and great people watching that all of those stereotypical folks create.  It's a huge win-win.  I get to hang-out a place I enjoy, and get a nice little taste of the energy and drunkeness and fun that tends to float around the whole place on a busy night.  Admittedly, you won't be gaining any new hip points while doing this (like I felt at Chez Charlie or Gen. Royale recently), but sometimes that's okay too.

As an example - I've specifically driven with friends down to Fran's for later night meals, because it can be such a fun experience on a warm evening.  They serve a large menu of halfway okay food late, have a bar, and a great patio on the very lively 14/main corner across from the big bright AMC marquee.  Yeah the food isn't going to blow you away, but it isn't supposed to.  Gordon or even Bristol,  admittedly with food/drink/atmosphere on a different level, are kind of similar in my head.  The energy down there on a weekend night is what impresses me, and it can be a great thing to enjoy if you do it right.
are we spinning free?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I absolutely agree, P&L does not equal Live Block.  I'm actually happy the block is there, just not my cup of tea generally, but is for most of my clients.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

My sister was in from Chicago and had a perception of the P&L as basically the Live block.  She only knew of the issues with the dress code and that people who have never been there hate on P&L every chance they get.  We saw a movie at the AMC, and on our way back up Main street toward 12th, she was shocked to see the side of P&L that included one of the best theaters in the nation, the H&R Block headquarters building (whose lobby we probably take for granted), a few theaters, a bakery, a cleaners, one of the coolest grocery stores in an urban area, a row of local clothing shops, etc.  Nobody thinks of these things when they think of the P&L.  I'm not going to spend many nights in the Live block unless there is a sporting event going on, but I think Cordish deserves a little credit (while there are admittedly many problems like empty spaces and dress code fiascos) for building a very respectable downtown hub of activity out of thin air/concrete.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

My brother was in town for the holidays, took him on a brief tour downtown, and he immediately gravitated towards the P/L area, saying he would love to get an apartment near there.... although he wondered where all the people were (i actually thought it was looking kind of ok by non-event daytime dt KC standards, but he's coming from a big east coast city).  The things he liked were that there was a grocery store right there, and the movie theater, and a bunch of random restaurants (we didn't get a chance to stop and look inside the live block, but he's not much of a clubber/bar scene type so it wasn't a big miss).

A few days later he went out with some suburban friends who basically told him the flip-side narrative of the dress code: basically, how the P/L district used to be a good place to go before they "lifted" the dress code, and now it's ghetto and thuggish and not a place to go out to on weekend nights.  (they also told him about how some guy got beaten to death in Westport as a part of a gang initiation... and the know the guy's ex-girlfriend so they know the story is totally true)  :roll:

I don't go out to the P/L district so i don't know if there's been any change pre/post dress code controversy, but it's interesting to hear how different folks have spun it.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ComandanteCero wrote:
A few days later he went out with some suburban friends who basically told him the flip-side narrative of the dress code: basically, how the P/L district used to be a good place to go before they "lifted" the dress code, and now it's ghetto and thuggish and not a place to go out to on weekend nights.  (they also told him about how some guy got beaten to death in Westport as a part of a gang initiation... and the know the guy's ex-girlfriend so they know the story is totally true)  :roll:
Kansas Citians.  Our own worst enemy. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC-wildcat wrote: Kansas Citians.  Our own worst enemy. 
Amen.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

well...not EVERY bar in P&L is about drinking shit beer. Flying Saucer comes to mind....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Johnny's has one of the better beer selections for a sports bar I have seen.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote: well...not EVERY bar in P&L is about drinking shit beer. Flying Saucer comes to mind....
Very true. Flying Saucer is great. Johnny's is also pretty good. I suppose I meant from the tiny Coor's cups outside in the Live area. Although, they do sell BLVD Wheat out there among others..but still the shitty cups...makes the beer shittier..right? maybe it's the $6.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote: well...not EVERY bar in P&L is about drinking shit beer. Flying Saucer comes to mind....
good luck getting a decent glass of wine. i paid $8 for a glass of ecco domani. off my list for good! nearly every place that serves good wine also serves decent beer. why not the other way around? pffft!
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

No i totally understand writing off a beer bar for having crappy wine. I almost never go to Bristol anymore after the terrible chimichanga i had there last year.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote: No i totally understand writing off a beer bar for having crappy wine. I almost never go to Bristol anymore after the terrible chimichanga i had there last year.
=D>
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Is it safe to say there's a good chance the Whopper Bar won't happen? Announced in October and former Chefburger still sits there today. No mention on Whopper Bar web site and no chance of it opening before important Big XII tourney gets here.
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

trailerkid wrote: Is it safe to say there's a good chance the Whopper Bar won't happen? Announced in October and former Chefburger still sits there today. No mention on Whopper Bar web site and no chance of it opening before important Big XII tourney gets here.
Whopper Bar, along with Drunkin Fish, was included in the mailing I received from the P&L this week.  I thought it mentioned March as the opening date.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

SAC wrote: Whopper Bar, along with Drunkin Fish, was included in the mailing I received from the P&L this week.  I thought it mentioned March as the opening date.
yeah i wouldn't be surprised if BK could turn that space into whopper bar in like three days.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

chrizow wrote: yeah i wouldn't be surprised if BK could turn that space into whopper bar in like three days.
True that.  They just need a new paint scheme and maybe some other aesthetic adjustments and put food in there and you're ready to go.  Good thing its setup for a mass burger joint.  :)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Drunken Fish signage going up right now. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

work has been progressing inside whopper bar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Winder if there is any way whopper bar makes big 12 tournament?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc