Apple's new hardware

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Apple's new hardware

Post by KCMax »

jdubwaldo wrote: I'm curious - has anyone broken down and bought an iPad yet......   :?:
I was going to buy one for my wife, but the fact it doesn't support Flash is a pretty big drawback so I'm looking at netbooks instead.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd not buy an iPad, but I am on the fence between getting a netbook and waiting for an android 2.2 tablet to see how they perform.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mean wrote: I'd not buy an iPad, but I am on the fence between getting a netbook and waiting for an android 2.2 tablet to see how they perform.
I am having this same debate now. I'll just do what you do. Keep me posted, I don't want to have to make a decision!
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I was really hoping the iPad would have a full OS on it instead of it just being a giant iTouch.  If it could replace my MacBook, I'd buy it in a second.  I already have an iPhone...I don't need one in hulk size.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

staubio wrote: I am having this same debate now. I'll just do what you do. Keep me posted, I don't want to have to make a decision!
Ha! Well, with Google I/O tomorrow and Thursday, I'm sure we'll get a taste of what's coming.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I'm convinced the Apple/Verizon deal is going to be announced in a couple weeks, so I'm having the debate with myself, do I really "need" and iPhone AND an iPad?  :)  I want it mostly to use as a reader though so am leaning towards yes. I just hate being held hostage to itunes/ibooks/etc.  After my experience with the Hero, unfortunately I'm not at all sold on Android.  It can't touch the iPhone in any area I use it for other than I can actually make phone calls that don't get cut off.  I think this is more a carrier issue though not a knock on either platform.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I can't speak for the Hero as I've never used it, but my Nexus One makes my friends' iPhones look downright archaic by comparison.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

jdubwaldo wrote: It can't touch the iPhone in any area I use it for other than I can actually make phone calls that don't get cut off. 
Really? What areas can't it touch the iPhone? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm a little over two weeks from my next phone and everything I've played with makes Android look like a very capable platform:

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

likey....HCT EVO 4G.....might be time for a new phone.  Any prelim reviews?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

zonk wrote: likey....HCT EVO 4G.....might be time for a new phone.  Any prelim reviews?
All that's out there right now is demo videos, which obviously should be taken with a bit of a grain of salt, but it's pretty damn sweet for a cell phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24r6q4clez8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iNmmXYozI
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/ma ... -3g-phone/

Also, my Apple-lovin', iPad, iPhone, iMac, and MacBook owning friend Joel (who even wrote this: http://bit.ly/b2awgx), long skeptical of Android devices, got to mess with an Incredible today and tweeted, "First impressions of HTC Incredible: You Android fans are not crazy."  :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i work with a lot of phones. seriously, like, all of them. all carriers, all OEMs.

the EVO will be a great phone and will impress a lot of people (most of them will already be smartphone users, perhaps even some iphone users). then, a few months later, something else will come along and steal the spotlight (probably on verizon).
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

(Thought I'd share some excerpts and links of this very conversation started on my Google Buzz account)

It also includes a front-facing camera for video chat!

The all in one phone! http://www.pomegranatephone.com/

Great post comparing the SPRINT EVO 4G and Google N1.
http://androidandme.com/2010/03/news/7- ... nexus-one/

www.Sprint.com/EVO and www.Sprint.com/4G

Not to beat a dead horse, but in case you are not yet sold.... more information for your viewing and consumer pleasure (great pics and video demos): http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc- ... hone-armo/

ok, so I'm officially hooked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuNDQGYVDk4
On to the Next One
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm like the last person I know that got a cell phone, so I'm not well-versed in this stuff, but is there anyway to get out of a contract with a cell phone and upgrade to a better product with the same carrier? I really hate my HTC Ozone Blackberry and I've only had it for about six months.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I have been on the Droid for several months now - love the operating system/hate the hardware. 
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

staubio wrote: Really? What areas can't it touch the iPhone? I'm genuinely curious.
A bunch of things I don't like about the hero compared with the iPhone.  Mostly I use it for the phone, email, calendar, maps, texting, surfing the web, facebook and a few of the apps.  So pretty basic.  I, personally find it is not as user friendly overall and just cumbersome to use. 
Namely - Response time.  I click on something, then wait.  Then wait some more.  Then some more.  Then it pops up.
The camera is totally terrible, I feel like I need a tripod or something to get clear photos to come out sometimes.
Typing is a pain in the ass.  I have tiny fingers but it takes me forever to enter text and I'm always hitting the wrong letters.
I like that you can do so much customization on your different pages.  Yet it seems no matter how I rearrange my screens, it is never as intuitive or easy to use as the iPhone for the simplistic things I use it for.
None of the facebook and twitter apps I've tried so far seem to not work very well.
Battery life on both aren't great and the appkiller helps, but I can hardly get through a 9-5 day without recharging, even with a bunch of battery saving things like getting email only every couple hours, etc, etc, etc.

I'm in mourning for my iPhone.  Which pisses me off because noone (admits) to having the same issues both my husband and I had with it. Although most times when I call my one friend with one it doesn't ring and sticks me into voicemail automatically.  8)
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I do HATE that my mac doesn't have flash.  How many websites do I get a blank questionmark/error box on.  So freakin' annoying.

That EVO = sweet.  I might have to check this out at the WPM sprint store once it comes out....
Last edited by jdubwaldo on Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I really hate my HTC Ozone Blackberry...
this really does prove you don't know much about phones! :)

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2246

you have a windows mobile device. no wonder you hate it! call the carrier or drop by the store. you may not get another free phone, but they may cut you a deal. worse case, lie and say it drops calls.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

jdubwaldo wrote: A bunch of things I don't like about the hero compared with the iPhone.  Mostly I use it for the phone, email, calendar, maps, texting, surfing the web, facebook and a few of the apps.  So pretty basic.  I, personally find it is not as user friendly overall and just cumbersome to use. 
Namely - Response time.  I click on something, then wait.  Then wait some more.  Then some more.  Then it pops up.
The camera is totally terrible, I feel like I need a tripod or something to get clear photos to come out sometimes.
Typing is a pain in the ass.  I have tiny fingers but it takes me forever to enter text and I'm always hitting the wrong letters.
I like that you can do so much customization on your different pages.  Yet it seems no matter how I rearrange my screens, it is never as intuitive or easy to use as the iPhone for the simplistic things I use it for.
None of the facebook and twitter apps I've tried so far seem to not work very well.
Battery life on both aren't great and the appkiller helps, but I can hardly get through a 9-5 day without recharging, even with a bunch of battery saving things like getting email only every couple hours, etc, etc, etc.

I'm in mourning for my iPhone.  Which pisses me off because noone (admits) to having the same issues both my husband and I had with it. Although most times when I call my one friend with one it doesn't ring and sticks me into voicemail automatically.   8)
Thanks for sharing. I think the Evo will conquer most of these issues, though battery life might still be a concern. These sound like hardware issues. The Hero is a little underpowered, with a smaller screen that isn't as great for typing, etc. The Evo will be my first phone without a hard keyboard in many, many years, so I'm anxious to see how I take to it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: I'd not buy an iPad, but I am on the fence between getting a netbook and waiting for an android 2.2 tablet to see how they perform.
I am intrigued by this android tablet you speak of.

What netbooks would you recommend? My wife would just use it for simply web browsing, photo storage, streaming video, nothing too high-tech.