OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by KC Kropf »

Not to disagree with just about EVERYONE on this thread, but from the pedestrian level, I thought the art was not bad at all... I really liked the one with water around it, and how you can interact with the entire piece by walking around the 3 pieces, etc...  I think on a whole they play well with the building and the passer-by...
On to the Next One
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Anyone see the mounted patrol.  People young and old stop to look at the mounted patrol.  A couple of cops got out of their car and were letting down road barriers on grand North of the Sprint Center (these are really cool btw).  During this time a couple of people were waiting in line and getting to their cars on grand and actually got out of their vehicles and began snapping photos of the mounted patrol.  I saw four total.  3 men and one woman.  Hopefully they will be a staple when the P&L opens.  Surely they will be there for Sprint Center events.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I am still not convinced that closing Grand before, during and after events at the sprint center is a good idea.

Sure, sounds great during massive events like the Big 12 and while the P&L District is open and humming.

But I think it's going to do more harm than good tomorrow, or most other times.

Buses are always diverted all over and even the drivers don't ever know where to go, let alone the passengers.  Should I walk over to Oak?  Main?

Traffic will have a very hard time reaching the bigger garages.  Town Pavilion will have to be accessed from the north.  Kansas people will have even a harder time as both the main entrances to the P&L garages and town pavilion are accessed by "WB" 13th.

Getting out of the garages will be just insane as everybody will be forced west on narrow 14th and the biggest street in downtown is shut down.

I'm all for the pedestrian deal, but I just have this feeling that closing Grand is not a good idea at this time.

Let's at least let people find the garages they will use before forcing them into massive detours.  Then when big events to warrant the closing of Grand, people will be able to find their usual parking places with far less headache.

Just my opinion.
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Spoken like a true engineer.
"Let's get it!"
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't think the flying Kansas Citian is so bad. It's like a cartoon.
There is no fifth destination.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Well we will see how the closing of Grand works tonight at the Elton John concert.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

FangKC wrote: I don't think the flying Kansas Citian is so bad. It's like a cartoon.
$1.3 million cartoon.  nice 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: I don't think the flying Kansas Citian is so bad. It's like a cartoon.
It's stupid.

I would rather see that sprint commerical playing on the big screen inside the arena showcasing KC attractions than a cartoon.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

GRID wrote: Traffic will have a very hard time reaching the bigger garages.  Town Pavilion will have to be accessed from the north.  Kansas people will have even a harder time as both the main entrances to the P&L garages and town pavilion are accessed by "WB" 13th.

Getting out of the garages will be just insane as everybody will be forced west on narrow 14th and the biggest street in downtown is shut down.
This is not a bad point, although of course Missouri people will have no less trouble than Kansas people  [-X. It is kind of hard to imagine a good place to park that doesn't require fighting one-way streets to get back to one's highway of choice. It certainly will take some time for everyone to figure that out.

And I thought 14th Street is one-way eastbound?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Parking was a breeze in and out. No traffic issues.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

eliphar17 wrote: This is not a bad point, although of course Missouri people will have no less trouble than Kansas people  [-X. It is kind of hard to imagine a good place to park that doesn't require fighting one-way streets to get back to one's highway of choice. It certainly will take some time for everyone to figure that out.

And I thought 14th Street is one-way eastbound?
I didn't mean it as a slam to kansans, just thinking of the traffic flow that most would go from getting off at 35 and Broadway.  And I meant 13th.

Coming from WB 70, it seems to me that the traffic flows to the garages better than getting off at 35 and Broadway.  But I'm probably thinking way too much about it.

Traffic seemed to really move fine.  Even Grand didn't really back up.  I guess I was wrong.  But I do think you will have more problems closing Grand on weekdays.  They should at least let the buses through.

And did anybody take a MAX bus?  I didn't see anybody using them, but the buses that did go to truman and grand were full.  Max should really have an "arena" route straight down grand.  I rode the max to the open house and it's just rediculous how long it takes to get to 12th and Grand from Crown Center.  But after some of the roads open, that should get better.

All in all, great night for KC and I'm proud of KC and how the handeled the parking issues.  I would bet none of the big garages (Oak, TP, P&L) came even close to filling up, or that's what I gathered from my walking around.

And these guys are not only morons, but they should be ashamed.  Good thing they only took advantage of a few people.  Like I said, there are 1000's of covered spaces much closer to the arena for 10 bucks, or you can drive around the block and park for free in the crossroads, like I did.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

HNR Block garage wasn't close to full.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Well, it takes two people for a bad deal to go down: the peddler and the fool.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

So...I went to the grand opening on 10,10 and am thoroughly surprised at the lack of photos on here.  That being said, I took millions, and shall post quite a few tomorow or once I get a chance to get them hosted somewhere.  My only question is, where is the "Mega/Super support" that was to hold the roof in the corner????  I only saw 4 large corner supports, if memory serves me right someone on here said there would be but on huge support visible taking up a large amount of seating?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

im2kull wrote: So...I went to the grand opening on 10,10 and am thoroughly surprised at the lack of photos on here.  That being said, I took millions, and shall post quite a few tomorow or once I get a chance to get them hosted somewhere.  My only question is, where is the "Mega/Super support" that was to hold the roof in the corner????  I only saw 4 large corner supports, if memory serves me right someone on here said there would be but on huge support visible taking up a large amount of seating?
There are 4 huge supports but they designed the SC better so no seat are blocked. I sat in the areas in question.

And all of the opening day pictures have been placed here: http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=13120.0
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As I started this topic 5 years ago in 2002...I think it's fitting I end it.  Congrats KC, we have a kick ass arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc