Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by KCMax »

Unknown JimmyD wrote:utter garbage tonight. and collin picked up an injury, so we go into sunday's game against chicago with our centerback situation looking like this: besler gone with the national team, opara out for the year injured, olum with the kenyan national team, collin injured for what looks like a couple weeks ... which leaves us with ... maybe slotting rosell back as a cb alongside 17-year old erik palmer-brown? could be a long 90 minutes on sunday.
Palmer-Brown is out Sunday because of his red card.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

KCMax wrote:
Unknown JimmyD wrote:utter garbage tonight. and collin picked up an injury, so we go into sunday's game against chicago with our centerback situation looking like this: besler gone with the national team, opara out for the year injured, olum with the kenyan national team, collin injured for what looks like a couple weeks ... which leaves us with ... maybe slotting rosell back as a cb alongside 17-year old erik palmer-brown? could be a long 90 minutes on sunday.
you got your dates mixed up. that post was before the chicago game in which epb made his debut and picked up that red. he was suspended for the game two days ago here in kc against toronto... where we lost ANOTHER defender in chance myers. i haven't heard an updated report on his injury (i think they were still waiting on the mri), but early rumors are that he's done his achilles and could be out for the rest of the year. happy days! :(
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

it was confirmed yesterday that myers is done for the year with a ruptured achilles. sucks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Unknown JimmyD wrote:
KCMax wrote:
you got your dates mixed up. that post was before the chicago game in which epb made his debut and picked up that red. he was suspended for the game two days ago here in kc against toronto... where we lost ANOTHER defender in chance myers. i haven't heard an updated report on his injury (i think they were still waiting on the mri), but early rumors are that he's done his achilles and could be out for the rest of the year. happy days! :(
Ah yes, thanks.

This season is in serious trouble.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Can we start bringing some players in on loan from the EPL? I say that in jest, but we look pretty sad lately...
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

i think tonight's game is still an issue, but i think things will improve going forward. collin appears to be close to returning to the lineup, and while i personally wouldn't risk it (the dreaded hamstring), vermes may roll the dice anyway. it'd mean that we actually have two cb's, even if one is hobbled and the other is 17 years old making his second pro appearance. we'll get olum back from his callup with kenya for the june 6th game, which will be a boost for our backline. after that, mls goes on a 3-week break for the world cup. i think we'll be ok when july rolls around. winning the supporters' shield (most points overall in the league) is probably out of the question, but making the playoffs should still be achieved with little trouble.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Summer transfer window opens in July...

we need reinforcements
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

David Villa of Atletico Madrid officially signed with the new NY MLS franchise today.

Is he still a big deal or is he David Beckham looking for a cushy payout as his career declines?
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

both? he's still good enough to be on spain's 23-man world cup roster and started for atletico madrid in the recent champion's league final. he's also certainly on the backside of his career where his physical tools are starting to decline. i think he'll still be top class, especially in mls (assuming he puts the work in obviously) for another 2 years.

frank lampard (chelsea in epl) is also apparently joining nycfc. he's the more questionable choice in my opinion. he's 36 or 37 now, and while he's also still apparently good enough for england's wc squad, i don't rate him nearly as capable of handling a full mls season like i would villa. i mean, nycfc basically already has their team captain in lampard, but i look forward to seeing him play in kc or houston or dallas in july/august.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SKC to transfer midfielder Oriol Rosell to Sporting Clube de Portugal.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/06/ ... n-portugal
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Unknown JimmyD wrote:both? he's still good enough to be on spain's 23-man world cup roster and started for atletico madrid in the recent champion's league final. he's also certainly on the backside of his career where his physical tools are starting to decline. i think he'll still be top class, especially in mls (assuming he puts the work in obviously) for another 2 years.

frank lampard (chelsea in epl) is also apparently joining nycfc. he's the more questionable choice in my opinion. he's 36 or 37 now, and while he's also still apparently good enough for england's wc squad, i don't rate him nearly as capable of handling a full mls season like i would villa. i mean, nycfc basically already has their team captain in lampard, but i look forward to seeing him play in kc or houston or dallas in july/august.
Agree with your Villa/Lampard comparison. Lampard is a legend at Chelsea but has been on fumes the last couple of seasons. Maybe he can mark Thierry Henry so they can both stand around until they're subbed out.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

not enough good things can be said about our boys tonight. played away at houston with our already severely depleted lineup, had to make a sub 6 minutes into the game because of another injury, went down to 10 men due to a red card in the 24th minute or so (ref mistake, in my opinion), had to make our final two subs at halftime (due to two more injuries) ... and came away with a 2-0 victory. we played roughly 70 minutes down a man in 90 degree heat/humidity (and the entire second half with no subs left) away from home with a makeshift lineup and not only got the 3 points, we got a clean sheet.

now we get a much needed 3-week break in league play for the world cup. back when this crisis started, all i wanted to do was not fall too far behind until we could heal up and get our players back after this break. we've done that. i see no reason not to expect a high quality second half of the season and become the dominant force in the eastern conference again.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Here's a video of the red card foul. It's, um, yeah.
https://vine.co/v/MDvgOq5II9U

Feilhaber has a separated shoulder.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

If anyone does not have cable and wants to watch the World Cup remember to turn it to Univision (I believe its 48) where every game will be televised
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote:If anyone does not have cable and wants to watch the World Cup remember to turn it to Univision (I believe its 48) where every game will be televised
Univision is also streaming games live on the internet for free.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

So, this took some skill:
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Early on, the guys on the radio call noticed that the Dutch strategy seemed to be to throw the ball over the defense and have RVP (and later Robben) run under it. I guess they thought that the Spanish defense was slow or playing too high a line. That got them the first 2 goals. The last 3 were really Spain making huge mistakes.

With 3 points and a game against Australia in hand, figure Holland is through to the next round. I did not expect that at all. Chile also won and probably only needs to tie Spain to go through as well. Even if they finish level with someone on points, that -4 goal differential is probably going to sink Spain.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.