2010 Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: 2010 Chiefs

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: I used to think KC was an NFL town.  Not so much anymore.  Not after living among the NFL CRAZY northeast.  You can't set foot in any stadium out here for less than $200 and tickets are still very difficult to come across for any game, no matter the record of the team.

Baltimore is going nuts over this game in KC and when the entire country sees the empty seats for a playoff game, KC's image as a football town will be forever tarnished.

BTW, nobody out here even remotely thinks the chiefs have a chance, so it might be an easy upset game as Baltimore is already looking at the next game.

I have always wondered if KC is too much of a college town (college sports out here are way down on the totem pole of popularity).  

But I'm disappointed in the attendance at arrowhead this year.  The stadium looks noticeably bad on tv.  Look Seattle right now.  They are loud and there is not an empty seat in the stadium.

Come on KC, step up and support your teams or you will never get NHL or NBA.
The Chiefs pissed off their fans to the point they aren't selling tickets and the majority of people in town just don't care about spending money anymore. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with "college town" this or that. Chiefs were selling out games before Ravens existed. IMO the Chiefs in the last 10 years have been one of the most frustrating sports franchises to watch. It wasn't that long ago the Chiefs brand was considered one of the best in all of sports. It's gonna take time to regain their previous position in this market. Why would you spend $300 to watch the miserable ass Chiefs? 100% serious question.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

59 Buck tickets for Philly game in stubhub right now.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

trailerkid wrote: The Chiefs pissed off their fans to the point they aren't selling tickets and the majority of people in town just don't care about spending money anymore. It doesn't have a damn thing to do with "college town" this or that. Chiefs were selling out games before Ravens existed. IMO the Chiefs in the last 10 years have been one of the most frustrating sports franchises to watch. It wasn't that long ago the Chiefs brand was considered one of the best in all of sports. It's gonna take time to regain their previous position in this market. Why would you spend $300 to watch the miserable ass Chiefs? 100% serious question.
I wouldn't pay 300, but I also wouldn't call they miserable. They won their division and are In the playoffs. I kind of wonder what subcontious effect Lamar being gone has on the average chiefs fan.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: I used to think KC was an NFL town.  Not so much anymore.  Not after living among the NFL CRAZY northeast.  You can't set foot in any stadium out here for less than $200 and tickets are still very difficult to come across for any game, no matter the record of the team.

Baltimore is going nuts over this game in KC and when the entire country sees the empty seats for a playoff game, KC's image as a football town will be forever tarnished.

BTW, nobody out here even remotely thinks the chiefs have a chance, so it might be an easy upset game as Baltimore is already looking at the next game.

I have always wondered if KC is too much of a college town (college sports out here are way down on the totem pole of popularity).  

But I'm disappointed in the attendance at arrowhead this year.  The stadium looks noticeably bad on tv.  Look Seattle right now.  They are loud and there is not an empty seat in the stadium.

Come on KC, step up and support your teams or you will never get NHL or NBA.
The Chiefs just haven't made believers out of their fans this year despite winning the division and making the playoffs.  Have they even beat a team this year with a winning record?  I think a lot of fans see them as still pretty inept.

As for college sports, they are big almost everywhere, and whether or not one is into college sports or not is not a criteria for sophistication.  College football is not so big in the Wash DC area because there are no local teams with strong traditions.  Go up to Pennsylvania and that will change radically with PSU and Pitt.  Georgetown basketball has no problem selling out the Verizon center; it's huge in DC. 
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCPowercat wrote: 59 Buck tickets for Philly game in stubhub right now.
Before Arrowhead, I think Chiefs tickets cost $8 per game and season tickets were $50. I know the dollar was worth more then.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Anybody okay with how this game went since "the experts" thought we wouldn't be here at all?  Anyone watch this bloodbath and comfort themselves with the knowledge that we weren't supposed to have a winning record this year?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

phuqueue wrote: Anybody okay with how this game went since "the experts" thought we wouldn't be here at all?  Anyone watch this bloodbath and comfort themselves with the knowledge that we weren't supposed to have a winning record this year?
The Chiefs benefited from being in a weak division and having a very favorable schedule.  I guess one can take some solace in being able to beat the lower echelon teams in the league....that's a start but there are lots of places to improve to be ever considered among the leagues elite.  There is more to a football team than a QB but I don't think Cassel can get the Chief's to the next level; I guess a bigger question is ... can Haley? 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Baltimore is just a better team at this point. But you can see the infancy of a great team here. Remember we are still very young and all our key positions have guys on the upside of their career rather than downside.

I think Cassel can be that QB. I don't think he is elite, but he's in the next tier below and lots of guys in that tier have taken teams to the Superbowl. We will see on Haley, but he certainly won over a skeptic like me. Consider me a fan of his now.

As for aattendance I think its clear season tix sales were sluggish as they were coming off a 4-12 season and made no big changes. You can't expect 20,000 individual sales all the time in a market of 2 million. People forget the first few years of the Marty years weren't played before sellouts. I still remember a snowy December game with playoff implications played before no more than 30,000 fans.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

phuqueue wrote: Anybody okay with how this game went since "the experts" thought we wouldn't be here at all?  Anyone watch this bloodbath and comfort themselves with the knowledge that we weren't supposed to have a winning record this year?
Yes.  KC kept it competitive for a half.  Cassel got jittery in the second half and turned it over causing a close game to get out of hand.  I expected much worse actually.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Well thank god they managed to keep it as close as a 30-7 blowout then.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Congratulations to the Chiefs for a big step this year... keep it going into next season, and I might have to go out and buy a team jersey/make it down to a game.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: The Chiefs benefited from being in a weak division and having a very favorable schedule.  I guess one can take some solace in being able to beat the lower echelon teams in the league....that's a start but there are lots of places to improve to be ever considered among the leagues elite.  There is more to a football team than a QB but I don't think Cassel can get the Chief's to the next level; I guess a bigger question is ... can Haley? 
Can Gabbert?

Ohhhhh see what I did there?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I can handle not winning a playoff game in 18 years. 

I can handle losing 30-7 at home.

I can handle sitting there in the snow and freezing temperatures.

But, how can I sleep at night knowing KC's reputation as a football town is forever tarnished?
KC is the way to be!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Can Gabbert?

Ohhhhh see what I did there?
no I don't see.  What was your point?  The Chiefs won't get  Gabbert anyway. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote: no I don't see.  What was your point?  The Chiefs won't get  Gabbert anyway.   
I was predicting that the chiefs will draft Gabbert and he will finally win a national title in Missouri. But for the chiefs.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: I was predicting that the chiefs will draft Gabbert and he will finally win a national title in Missouri. But for the chiefs.
Ha!...I missed the Missouri connection.  I'd like for the Chiefs to draft Gabbert but they were too successful this year as I think Gabbert will go pretty early being the highest ranked QB with Stanford's guy staying put.  When it comes to the draft, it's a shame to suck but not suck all that badly. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

harbinger911 wrote: I can't believe how anyone can think Cassel can ever be a Superbowl QB in KC.
He is the epitome of a knumbskull.
He looked like a 7th grade QB today (and many other games this year).
He cannot beat a Playoff team, it won't happen.

With Cassel at QB this team hit it's pinnacle this year.
He does not have what it takes, Chiefs must draft or trade for a QB or this team goes nowhere but down.
Next years schedule will not have mercy, if Cassel stays look for 7-9 at best.
Out O-Line didn't do him any favors neither.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Or the fact our second wideout was sitting on his couch at home a week ago.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I agree that we should draft a QB, but probably in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Our backups suck, and it is clear Cassel will have to be the guy next season.  Trading for a QB at this point would be a huge mistake in my mind.  We became halfway decent by hoarding young players.  This is not like baseball where you hoard and then trade up.  The players available through trade are almost all either overpriced (either by salary or by trade requirement) or about to be washed up.  If we can trade anyone, it should be Thomas Jones for an O-line player, pass rusher, or young receiver.  Cassel did just what was asked of him.  He had two bad games at the worst time of the year for them, but the O-line was pretty awful in both. 

Not to mention, the play calling was atrocious.  I never could figure this out.  One game Weiss and Haley would open up the bag of tricks and all would go swimmingly, then the following game, we would hunker down and refuse to try anything creative.  How many screen passes to our gamebreaking backs did we throw yesterday?  We were so enamored with McCluster (who has done absolutely nothing since game 1), we kept feeding our smallest player the ball against the biggest D in the league.  Anyhow, I am impressed with the Chiefs this year.  It was a terrific improvement, and it will be tough to match next season with the ridiculous schedule and potential lockout.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: Not to mention, the play calling was atrocious.
We are the #1 rushing team in the NFL, and yet on 3rd/1 or 4th/1 we continue to run plays that either require Matt Cassel to back up seven yards to pass, or require Jamaal Charles to run five yards behind the line of scrimmage to out-fox the opposition. Why does Haley not have the confidence to run it up their nose?

Thoughts on Eric Berry? Seemed like a coming out party for him. Brandon Flowers and Tamba Hali looked pretty awesome as well. We probably need some faster pass covering linebackers though. Todd Heap had himself a bit of a game.