Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:14 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:00 pm Seems exciting. Can we use opportunity to also bring down the 9 highway bridge?
Maybe if the community had turned out for the study
In what way? Seemed like a lot of interaction with that survey. Biggest disappointment was the # against the idea.

Potentially going to NKC is yet another reason to bring it down to grade and do something better.

So you are declaring it dead?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I thought the conclusion was that lowering was the most popular choice from that survey
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If we ever get good transit in this country we have to stop with this community review bs.

If people would have showed up? I don’t even know what that means. What could I possibly offer of any consequence?

I have a job and it’s not attending transit meetings or environmental review hearings.

This is all nimby shit.

Just do it.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

There needs to be a medium between straight Communist China/Robert Moses style transit where the population doesn't have a choice. We don't want a repeat of 71 highway where the poor and politically powerless minority community got displaced and destroyed for a highway. But we don't want a eon long environmental and community review that people can take advantage of either. See Cali HSR project, billions over budget and having to pay millions of dollars for easements to run through pecan farms and such.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:50 pm There needs to be a medium between straight Communist China/Robert Moses style transit where the population doesn't have a choice. We don't want a repeat of 71 highway where the poor and politically powerless minority community got displaced and destroyed for a highway. But we don't want a eon long environmental and community review that people can take advantage of either. See Cali HSR project, billions over budget and having to pay millions of dollars for easements to run through pecan farms and such.
https://www.kcur.org/community/2014-06- ... compromise

Read this, I think you’ll be surprised how the population helped determine the design of US 71
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

A California judge just blocked Berkeley from increasing students because they didn't study the impact on the neighborhood. 😂😂😂😂

It's all NIMBY bs.

None of it is in good faith.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When the original streetcar system was built in Kansas City, there was no community review or input. I'm sure most people were excited wherever it went because before it existed they had to walk, ride a horse, or take horse-drawn buggies.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:44 am When the original streetcar system was built in Kansas City, there was no community review or input. I'm sure most people were excited wherever it went because before it existed they had to walk, ride a horse, or take horse-drawn buggies.
If I remember right operators had to pay a franchise fee to use the streets so the city could just not give approval if they didn't think it was a good project.

They did community input, only it was just rich white people with the machine.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I recently went from strongly against northland light rail to moderately supportive. For some of the same reasons I think Rock Island LRT to Lees Summit should be pushed.

Benefits:

1. Connects housing in good school districts (which is in strong demand) with jobs and amenities downtown.
2. Northland still has a chance to be build in a transit oriented manor. That train has sailed for much of JoCo.
3. LRT in Northland means more density in KCMO and could support a better financial future for the City.
4. Reduces the need for parking downtown more than another streetcar line would
5. Potential for KCI connection which would benefit tourism and events business
6. Could be politically favorable and seems like some push for it in the community

Cons:

1. Low density today
2. Actual support for transit is in question
3. High price tag for an expansive system
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:40 pm1. Low density today
That isn't stopping the streetcar from going down to Berkely Riverfront
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:53 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:40 pm1. Low density today
That isn't stopping the streetcar from going down to Berkely Riverfront
Berkley a ready funding source and is very cheap to build. Northland line not likely to have either
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:40 pm Cons:

1. Low density today
Transit doesn't need total density, just density around stops/stations. The current Rock Island TOD Study will address land use around select station areas.

Jackson County polls the best of all the region's counties when it comes to transit support.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 am

1. Low density today
Transit doesn't need total density, just density around stops/stations. The current Rock Island TOD Study will address land use around select station areas.

Jackson County polls the best of all the region's counties when it comes to transit support.
Are there plans to use part of the rock island way as a bike lane to connect to the trail at the stadiums?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 am

1. Low density today

From that link

Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA) – Missouri
Award: $250,000
To plan for TOD along the Rock Island Railroad Corridor, a 17.7-mile corridor where a fixed guideway project is being planned to connect three major cities in the Kansas City region.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 am Are there plans to use part of the rock island way as a bike lane to connect to the trail at the stadiums?
If I understand your question correctly, yes there will be a plan to connect the existing Rock Island trail to the urban core. The Linwood Corridor Complete Streets project offers some details on how that would work (10-14' shared use path):

https://dashboards.mysidewalk.com/linwood-psp/
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 am
Riverite wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 am Are there plans to use part of the rock island way as a bike lane to connect to the trail at the stadiums?
If I understand your question correctly, yes there will be a plan to connect the existing Rock Island trail to the urban core. The Linwood Corridor Complete Streets project offers some details on how that would work (10-14' shared use path):

https://dashboards.mysidewalk.com/linwood-psp/
That does answer my question thank you, sorry I asked it in such a confusing way
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Why does this route go through Coleman Highlands and Roanoke instead of turning down Broadway and then west along 39th to KU Medical Center? It would seem to me that the Broadway with more of 39th St. route would to provide more development opportunities as well as allow riders to frequent W. 39th St. restaurants. That route is also more apartment dense now, and certainly would be if the streetcar ran there.

Second question. Is there some reason it couldn't go down Southwest Trafficway if Broadway would be considered too close to the Main Street line? Same reason. There are already more apartments along SW Trafficway that the route through Roanoke Park.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When is pen going to be put to paper on a plan or drawings for any light rail at all in the KC region?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Late October I thought
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:27 pm Why does this route go through Coleman Highlands and Roanoke instead of turning down Broadway and then west along 39th to KU Medical Center? It would seem to me that the Broadway with more of 39th St. route would to provide more development opportunities as well as allow riders to frequent W. 39th St. restaurants. That route is also more apartment dense now, and certainly would be if the streetcar ran there.

Second question. Is there some reason it couldn't go down Southwest Trafficway if Broadway would be considered too close to the Main Street line? Same reason. There are already more apartments along SW Trafficway that the route through Roanoke Park.
That initial study was focused on "complete streets". A formal transit study will follow very soon.