Ambassador

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

try this one instead:

mykn

Post by mykn »

"Bring the Toy Train Boondoggle to Midtown!"

Maybe if we preempt their message and take over their language, we will take power away from the opposition?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

More please!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:More please!
One way is Businesses can form a TDD and draw the lines to exclude residents in the vote. This would be very easy if a majority of property owners are on board.

Theres possibly drawbacks where the total length would be less, but the benefit money on the ground quickly. We could start bridging the gap to the Plaza and each half mile is another stop.

A mile or two further is nothing to complain about
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:Image
Yes please
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like Dave trolling the tkc/smart kc crowds.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I like Dave trolling the tkc/smart kc crowds.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I think maybe I misunderstood. Oh well
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:I think maybe I misunderstood. Oh well
maybe not. a TDD election doesn't have to be triggered -- or paid for -- by the city.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Are you talking about paying for the election or about funding the actual extension?
the election. if you were going to pay for the actual line with private funding you wouldn't need a TDD.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Right. ... So hopefully this is a hint that we might be getting close to an effort to put together a TDD?
yes, although i will say it's no longer a hint. it's coming this year.
Speaking of, I wonder how the Plaza's new owners feel about the streetcar. ... And did we ever figure out what the finances of the existing Plaza TDD look like?
the local contacts were ambivalent about the 2014 election. clearly they will benefit being connected to downtown with rail.

as for the existing TDD that funds maintenance of plaza parking garages, i haven't been following it (or the south loop TDD that pays for those garages). plaza is 1/2-cent retail sales, south loop is 1-cent retail sales tax. neither were voted on by residents, per statute, since they were drawn only around commercial properties.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:
pash wrote:Right. ... So hopefully this is a hint that we might be getting close to an effort to put together a TDD?
yes, although i will say it's no longer a hint. it's coming this year.
This is a really good plan. If this works, the benefit of the increased economic investment along Main St. will have commercial property owners in other corridors likely willing to set up TDD's for further streetcar expansions. Even though the greater, civic intent is to bolster the transit system in KC and improve the quality of life in the city, the best way to sell it is to get the direct support of those who would more immediately see the benefit of infrastructural improvements. Unfortunately most people don't think in the long term, such as rebuilding infrastructure and drawing population and tax base back to the urban core. It's more strategic to get the support (and tax investment) from those who would realize and see the immediate benefit as opposed to those who can be more easily swayed by the fear of taxes without seeing that economic return within the first year.

This is very exciting and I hope it works.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So given the streetcars are designed with less seating and geared more towards short trips with more standing room and bicycle room, how does this work if expanded to UMKC. That would mean much longer rides to stand, essentially commuter use than short trip use for many. Would that alter type of streetcar seating?

Or would MAX be geared toward express/commuter and streetcar intended more for local use. That is, use MAX to get between UMKC/Downtown but streetcar more practical for whatever general district you are in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:So given the streetcars are designed with less seating and geared more towards short trips with more standing room and bicycle room, how does this work if expanded to UMKC. That would mean much longer rides to stand, essentially commuter use than short trip use for many. Would that alter type of streetcar seating?

Or would MAX be geared toward express/commuter and streetcar intended more for local use. That is, use MAX to get between UMKC/Downtown but streetcar more practical for whatever general district you are in.
Good question...what do other 4-5 mile systems use? What is Portland's mix of sit/stand capacity? All their lines are around that distance or longer.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:
earthling wrote:So given the streetcars are designed with less seating and geared more towards short trips with more standing room and bicycle room, how does this work if expanded to UMKC. That would mean much longer rides to stand, essentially commuter use than short trip use for many. Would that alter type of streetcar seating?

Good question...what do other 4-5 mile systems use? What is Portland's mix of sit/stand capacity? All their lines are around that distance or longer.
The Portland airport line is very long - stood the entire route once due to packed capacity for a Rush concert - it wasn't bad. DT to UMKC seems pretty short to me. You can cover that distance in a car without excessive traffic in less than 10 minutes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't that their lightrail line? Portland makes me sick with jealousy BTW :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Will the extension use the same 3 module streetcar, or will it use a longer variant or something like the Urbos LRV?