KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote:The ATA should have 'free Saturday' buses (as long as they can financially do it) for major lines like MAX, 142 from KC North, Indep Ave line, JoCo line, KCK MAX like line - that connect to streetcar. They should promote it via media hype as a 'free streetcar connector from the burbs'. I imagine it would be a huge success but they may have to do it a few months through summer to get people hooked. That should really kickstart transit timid to use bus, using whizbang streetcar as the enabler. Then many may be willing to regularly use with fare after long trial period - $1.50 per ride, $3 day pass. I bet 95%+ of metro have no idea bus is only $3 for a day pass.

Free media promotion scenario.. The Buzz has a Saturday show at P&L Live, they could promote using the 'free suburban streetcar connector buses' to get there and use free streetcar to get to P&L- no hassles wifh finding parking or having to pay for it. It benefits the promoter to get more people to come to show w/out perception that 'downtown doesn't have enough parking''. Many different ways this could be promoted with events.
So since no reply yet, I'll ask this question for those in the burbs/outside downtown. Would you take a free 'streetcar connector bus' on Saturdays into downtown for an event/visit as described above?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Personally (without any traffic engineering or city planning background) I'd have them auto flip to walk at the beginning of a cycle for whatever the agreed upon safe shortest time length is. If it detected peds before the cycle, extend that time (or even better ped only light for like 2 seconds to give us a head start) . Mid cycle, if it detects peds, extend time or reflip to walk if there is enough time left in the cycle.

The danger to peds I keep seeing is the inconsistencies at the beginning of the cycle. This causes hesitation at first, then walking, which rightly confuses turning cars.

The intentions are probably great but the application right now is poor.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think that approach would extend any cycles and hence delay streetcar movement which is the ultimate goal... Well the ultimate goal should be ped safety.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling wrote:
earthling wrote:The ATA should have 'free Saturday' buses (as long as they can financially do it) for major lines like MAX, 142 from KC North, Indep Ave line, JoCo line, KCK MAX like line - that connect to streetcar. They should promote it via media hype as a 'free streetcar connector from the burbs'. I imagine it would be a huge success but they may have to do it a few months through summer to get people hooked. That should really kickstart transit timid to use bus, using whizbang streetcar as the enabler. Then many may be willing to regularly use with fare after long trial period - $1.50 per ride, $3 day pass. I bet 95%+ of metro have no idea bus is only $3 for a day pass.

Free media promotion scenario.. The Buzz has a Saturday show at P&L Live, they could promote using the 'free suburban streetcar connector buses' to get there and use free streetcar to get to P&L- no hassles wifh finding parking or having to pay for it. It benefits the promoter to get more people to come to show w/out perception that 'downtown doesn't have enough parking''. Many different ways this could be promoted with events.
So since no reply yet, I'll ask this question for those in the burbs/outside downtown. Would you take a free 'streetcar connector bus' on Saturdays into downtown for an event/visit as described above?
Yes, but the cost wouldn't be the factor. Frequency and hours would.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:...streetcar movement which is the ultimate goal... Well the ultimate goal should be ped safety.
you would think, right?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

No way. Streetcar > Pedestrians
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:...streetcar movement which is the ultimate goal... Well the ultimate goal should be ped safety.
you would think, right?
Any thought on my ped light scheme? What am I missing as far as that not working.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Would you take a free 'streetcar connector bus' on Saturdays into downtown for an event/visit as described above?
I don't know why I would take a connector bus when the same bus can take me all the way to the event. Seems like it would be easier to drive downtown and find parking near the train myself.

For the Air Show one of the benefits of taking the bus is you get dropped off right near the entrance where there isn't parking available. They make the options transit or walk there.
The royals celebration event transit worked out that way. Parking was gone to the point it ended up being where walking or the bus was the only choices.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

grovester wrote:
earthling wrote:

Yes, but the cost wouldn't be the factor. Frequency and hours would.
Some major lines run every 15 min during day on Sat, some about every 30 and some 60 min at worst. If planning for event, even the one hour lines shouldn't be too inconvenient, especially if not having to deal with parking/traffic downtown for major events - and it adds to the adventure. If the interest picks up, frequency may eventually as well.

Commuters in the big cities have to deal with it too depending on line, they may have a drink/coffee near the stop while waiting for next bus/train.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Eon Blue wrote:I haven't been very impressed with the automatic pedestrian detection. It works, after a fashion, but not promptly enough that I don't have to break stride. At intersections with default pedestrian signals, I can glance each way as I move to check for jaydrivers and only have to stop if I see one.
Is this why some of the verbose pedestrian crossing signals bark "Wait!" continually when people are hesitating at the crosswalk?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, but the cost wouldn't be the factor. Frequency and hours would.[/quote]
Some major lines run every 15 min during day on Sat, some about every 30 and some 60 min at worst. If planning for event, even the one hour lines shouldn't be too inconvenient, especially if not having to deal with parking/traffic downtown for major events - and it adds to the adventure. If the interest picks up, frequency may eventually as well.

Commuters in the big cities have to deal with it too depending on line, they may have a drink/coffee near the stop while waiting for next bus/train.[/quote]

How late do they run?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

grovester wrote:Yes, but the cost wouldn't be the factor. Frequency and hours would.

Commuters in the big cities have to deal with it too depending on line, they may have a drink/coffee near the stop while waiting for next bus/train.[/quote]

How late do they run?[/quote]

Troost/Main MAX and 47 line run till 2AM on Sat. Indep line last bus around 11:30. Northland 142 only runs till about 10:30 but would still be good for daytime events or events where leaving before then, or maybe run Sat later for 3 month trial. The KS lines would need to add Sat service, so no luck there unless changes.

They could trial with MO side first (hyped as 'free streetcar connector') and if successful, then trial on KS side too (if able to fund).
Last edited by earthling on Tue May 10, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I don't think Jo busses even run on weekends let alone every 15 minutes. Indebus is not much better. Public transit commuter busses from the burbs is garbage unless you use them to commute to a 9-5 job.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, I pointed that out in last post. KS side would need to add Sat service. Could at least start somewhere and it could later grow if even a couple lines successful. MAX and 142 Northland would be good start w/out any tweaking. Or maybe even 'free Friday streetcar connector' - something that could be tested. I'm just outlining possibilities, not that it has to be exactly as stated. Think opportunities and brainstorm alternatives that could financially work, rather than reasons to not even try.

I suspect a 'free streetcar connector from burbs/outer city' would draw more attention and increase ridership even after the free trial ends. What's the best way to kickstart?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That would be great long term but can't do it this summer or next or next - commuter rail on existing freight lines makes more sense. A 'free streetcar bus connector' can begin pretty quickly (or maybe next summer) and cost magnitudes less to deploy/operate. If many actually try a 'streetcar connector bus', may spur more interest in metro wide commuter rail as more people become more transit minded.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm aware of how long it will take to get rail to the burbs :evil:

I would take a shuttle from either Mission Transit center or maybe Ikea to Union Station if they ran hourly and the last train left US at 10 pm.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

herrfrank wrote:Is this why some of the verbose pedestrian crossing signals bark "Wait!" continually when people are hesitating at the crosswalk?
They tell me to WAIT! until I'm halfway across the street, then they give me the walky man.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Lots of people utilizing streetcar during lunch. Its very cool how much that activates the surrounding streets. Nice weather certainly helps I'm sure.

How many streetcars are running during the lunch hour? Is it considered peak hours?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

amazed at the lunch time crowds over the last two days. the weather helps, but this is a very good sign that people are taking the circulator seriously!

northbound library stop today:

leaving the northbound crossroads stop today: