Main Street MAX

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Main Street MAX

Post by shinatoo »

How about bus routs that connect the whole city. i.e get rid of the Jo. There should be a route that follows 350 through the plaza and on down SMPW out to Shawnee.
KCExile
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCExile »

Shinatoo, I agree with you about the JO.  I believe the KCATA originally served Johnson County, but that the county opted out of the system some time in the early 80s.*  We need to get behind SmartMoves because it aims to re-integrate the various regional bus systems into one.  I think this is the single most important step toward successful transit in the KC area. 

I think if we incorporated Ignatius' idea of 5-7 minute headways on SW TFWY, Broadway, Main, Gilham and Troost into the existing SmartMoves concept, we would take a great leap forward in connecting the suburbs to the core.  If you could take fairly frequent buses (maybe every 15 minutes) from the suburbs on SM Parkway, 75th Street, Meyer Blvd, etc. and then transfer to a frequent bus on any of KCMO's north/south thoroughfares, you'd have an effective transit system without a huge infrastructure investment.  Of course, we would also need direct service from far-flung places like Olathe, Liberty and KCI to Downtown/Union Station and suburban coach bus linkages like Truman Sports Complex P&R to Overland Park along I-435.  (But even if we actually accomplished this, we still shouldn't write off LRT and commuter rail routes at some point in the (near) future).

*I recall seeing bus stop signs on Mission Road in Fairway when I was growing up in the early 80s - which were from an earlier incarnation of the JO.  Does anyone else recall these busstops with Sunflower logos? 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCExile wrote: *I recall seeing bus stop signs on Mission Road in Fairway when I was growing up in the early 80s - which were from an earlier incarnation of the JO.  Does anyone else recall these busstops with Sunflower logos? 
They're still there. There are at least three on Mission Road between Shawnee Mission Parkway and 63rd Street.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

exile is correct.  Joco cancelled it's ATA contract in the 1980s and went with a private company, which was cheaper and non-union.  Although they do still have a rep on the ATA board.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I always wanted to write and Onion article that outlined my Billion dollar light rail plan along 63rd street from Raytown (my house) to Mission (my work) totally bypassing all of the major population centers. I can dream, can't I?

I tried the bus for a while. Had to make a paid transfer downtown to the Jo and back again in the evening. Last bus I could catch out of Mission was at 4:25. Total trip was 1:15 min each way and cost $4.50 a day. I can drive it in 30 min and it cost me 2 bucks in gas. The Jo and the Metro don't meet anywhere along the 63rd street rt.  :(
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote: I always wanted to write and Onion article that outlined my Billion dollar light rail plan along 63rd street from Raytown (my house) to Mission (my work) totally bypassing all of the major population centers. I can dream, can't I?

I tried the bus for a while. Had to make a paid transfer downtown to the Jo and back again in the evening. Last bus I could catch out of Mission was at 4:25. Total trip was 1:15 min each way and cost $4.50 a day. I can drive it in 30 min and it cost me 2 bucks in gas. The Jo and the Metro don't meet anywhere along the 63rd street rt.  :(
You could transfer to the Jo at Nichols Rd and Broadway -- the H route.  That would shorten it for you, but you'd still be looking at a paid transfer since the two systems don't work together.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Once again the decentralization of our cities comes back to bite us in the backside. It virtually assures car dependency since many people have to commute from one suburb to another, altogether bypassing the Mother City. Yet another one of the detestable, unintended consequences of the "American Dream" in action.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

staubio wrote: You could transfer to the Jo at Nichols Rd and Broadway -- the H route.  That would shorten it for you, but you'd still be looking at a paid transfer since the two systems don't work together.
Where does Nicols Rd and Broadway actualy meet?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shinatoo wrote: Where does Nicols Rd and Broadway actualy meet?
Wornall becomes Broadway after it crosses Brush Creek.  Nichols Rd is like 48th, I think.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Hmmm... apparently MAX is to began on July 5 but I haven't seen a single shelter installed.  Can they install all of them in time?
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

The ATA advertises that MAX service begins "Jul '05" -- and that leads to the confusion about July 5th. 

The start date that I've heard is July 24.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Although MAX isn't "real" BRT, as we get closer and closer to it coming online I have a feeling that it's going to be a big hit. Considering the media attention and interest it's generated I think it may be a major turning point in getting people in KCMO to buy into public transit, if they haven't already. When they see mass transit that is cheap, efficient and and easy-to-use many will begin to see how great of an invest it is.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: Although MAX isn't "real" BRT, as we get closer and closer to it coming online I have a feeling that it's going to be a big hit. Considering the media attention and interest it's generated I think it may be a major turning point in getting people in KCMO to buy into public transit, if they haven't already. When they see mass transit that is cheap, efficient and and easy-to-use many will begin to see how great of an invest it is.
hmmmm...  Lots of househoulds around town are getting this fancy Metro brochure in the mail that talks about all of the cost and frustration savings of trying the bus, but it mentions MAX zero times.  It seems awfully stupid to do a big mass mailing on the eve of your biggest project ever and not mention it at all.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: hmmmm...  Lots of househoulds around town are getting this fancy Metro brochure in the mail that talks about all of the cost and frustration savings of trying the bus, but it mentions MAX zero times.  It seems awfully stupid to do a big mass mailing on the eve of your biggest project ever and not mention it at all.
I just have a feeling that we should be a little optimistic about MAX-- not because of its innovative, but because efficient means of public transporation has been A LONG TIME coming in the urban core.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

New promotional video:  http://kcata.org/images/MaxVideo.wmv

After looking more closely at the numbers, I'm more skeptical about how much we are actually gaining with MAX.  KCATA is promoting a 17 minute trip between Downtown and Plaza.  The current 56X only takes three minutes longer.  I can drive it on Main St.  in 10 minutes or less. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote: I just have a feeling that we should be a little optimistic about MAX-- not because of its innovative, but because efficient means of public transporation has been A LONG TIME coming in the urban core.
Thank you.  That is all I've been saying.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MAX done right???

Vegas MAX

More pics and story here.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... adid=79259
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: MAX done right???

Vegas MAX

More pics and story here.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... adid=79259
yep, we probably could have done a very similar project for about 20% more than we are spending on our max.  That would attract new riders and be more inviting to tourists and suburbanites.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Interesting... The Vegas MAX makes the journey 40% faster than the previous regular bus.  The KC MAX will only be 15% faster than the 56X.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

how much faster is MAX than 56.....kind of unfair to compare it to the 56x I'd think
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc