Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by AllThingsKC »

Disappointing first game.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

AllThingsKC wrote:Disappointing first game.
Gets worse before it gets better.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sporting KC games will air in nine states
This season, 23 Sporting Kansas City games will be broadcast by affiliates in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota and Oklahoma. The games will feature play-by-play from Callum Williams, commentator Diego Gutierrez, and sideline reports from Jake Yadrich. The broadcasts include 30-minute pre-game and post-game shows.

Sporting KC will have 11 games broadcast on national television through NBCSN, ESPN and ESPN2.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Sporting KC wins the first leg over Cruz Azul 1-0. They will play @ Cruz Azul next Wednesday.

Oak Park High School's Kevin Ellis scored the only goal.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AllThingsKC wrote:Sporting KC wins the first leg over Cruz Azul 1-0. They will play @ Cruz Azul next Wednesday.

Oak Park High School's Kevin Ellis scored the only goal.
Nervy game on the field. Lots of elbows and yellows. Sinovic and the ref had a running conversation that I think eventually led to a very quick yellow for time wasting on a throw-in.

Sinovic looked good, as did Feilhaber. Kronberg was solid. Bieler had his best game for SKC, setting up Ellis' goal. But Ike Opara was everywhere. He was the man of the match.

The Azul fans were there in considerable numbers and represented well. Much classier than, say, Fire fans. My inner 15 year old enjoyed them yelling "Aaaaaaaaaaaah... puto!!!" on SKC goal kicks.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

KCMax wrote:Sporting KC games will air in nine states
This season, 23 Sporting Kansas City games will be broadcast by affiliates in Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Dakota and Oklahoma. The games will feature play-by-play from Callum Williams, commentator Diego Gutierrez, and sideline reports from Jake Yadrich. The broadcasts include 30-minute pre-game and post-game shows.

Sporting KC will have 11 games broadcast on national television through NBCSN, ESPN and ESPN2.
We cut the cable. I need the games to be broadcast on Spanish channels! Univision, Telemundo, Unimas!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

phxcat wrote:
KCMax wrote:Sporting KC games will air in nine states

We cut the cable. I need the games to be broadcast on Spanish channels! Univision, Telemundo, Unimas!
26 games will be OTA on 38 the Spot.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

chaglang wrote:The Azul fans were there in considerable numbers and represented well. Much classier than, say, Fire fans. My inner 15 year old enjoyed them yelling "Aaaaaaaaaaaah... puto!!!" on SKC goal kicks.
I was wondering what they were saying. It was hard to tell who was saying what half the time.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What a remarkable game. That Dwyer goal was....awesome.

Colorado, we own you.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

really looking forward to the game on saturday. rematch of mls cup. should be a belter.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Robb Heineman tweeted he had conversations with UG about expanding the stadium. I'm unclear whether or not it was an April Fool's Joke, seems like a pretty sensible thing to joke about.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think I recall expansion being built in to the original design plan.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I remember that being mentioned back at the time of the stadium construction announcement as well.

Every time I'm at a game, I invariably spend a few minutes wondering where, exactly, they'd add seats. A second deck either above the Cauldron or overhanging the concessions behind the east stand are the only two locations that make sense w/o requiring major changes to the existing structure.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote:Here are some of the items I found interesting

RE: USMNT facility in KC
site selection should be done in the next 30 days, construction beginning next spring. HOF is interesting to us, but we haven't really been approached to do it.
RE: Stadium expansion
no timetable necessarily....demand in 2015 will probably dictate

probably around 8,000 more seats....
mostly [in the] east [section]. we do have an additional plan that would add a couple thousand above the cauldron

28k is max expansion capacity
i'd guess the 28k includes SRO since they already average about 20k now...
This is from Robb's Reddit AMA last year.

I'm pretty sure Robb's tweet yesterday was trolling everyone for April fools day...Its pretty much an annual tradition. Last year they were installing blue turf.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Should have been downtown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Blue turf would be awesome. They should do that too.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://soccernewsday.com/usa/a/1779/q-a ... ctor-munoz

This is an interview with Victor Munoz who recently signed w/ SKC. He was drafted by DC, but jumped at the chance to transfer to SKC. I thought this was a good example of how winners/good systems draw talent.

A few excerpts
While training with Sporting have you found anything similar to your time at Real Madrid?

VM: Yes, the way they understand soccer here in Kansas is very similar to the way we do in Spain. We try to control the game, try to keep the ball away, move the other team and find spaces. I like it here a lot. It’s easier for me to play in this kind of team than a team that's more direct. It's easier for me to play with these guys.

How did Peter Vermes reach out to you to train with the team? What was the process like after you left DC United?

VM: I was training there in DC and I didn’t like it that much because it was very direct. Since they have a difficult situation right now they don’t rely that much on younger guys and they didn’t give us many chances to play. Kansas offered for me to come here and as soon as I heard that I said "Let’s go, like, tomorrow morning."
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Columbus wasted no time getting the bad blood going:
http://deadspin.com/atlanta-burned-again-1563864432