TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! THE BIG 12 IS DEAD! MAYBE!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: TIME TO FREAK OUT AGAIN ABOUT CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT! TH

Post by beautyfromashes »

Wouldn't really know how many team the SEC has. It's kind of like feeling sorry or your ex girlfriend because she's dating an abusive hillbilly. Sad, but it doesn't really bother you much cause she was a whore anyway.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

True, but enough about the University of Texas.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

AllThingsKC wrote:Maybe I'm not meant the understand the logic that "the Big 12 is as good or better than the SEC from top to bottom."

To me, I look at:
# of ranked teams (and where they're ranked)
# bowl eligible teams
# of games played against ranked opponents
# of game played against bowl eligible teams

But, to each his own. I guess there's no one true way to determine which conference is better, since there's so many ways to look at it.
beautyfromashes wrote:Not surprising. Same percentage for a 10 team league vs. 16.
The SEC has 14 teams.
Percentages. If you go with straight numbers, the 14 team conference should always come up on top.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That's fair enough.

% of ranked teams (and where they're ranked)
% bowl eligible teams
% of games played against ranked opponents
% of game played against bowl eligible teams

But again, this is just one way of looking at it.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote:That's fair enough.

% of ranked teams (and where they're ranked)
% bowl eligible teams
% of games played against ranked opponents
% of game played against bowl eligible teams

But again, this is just one way of looking at it.
It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. When you play fewer games (8-9) against conference foes and when the best teams in the conference do not play against each other, your conference will have fewer chances to knock each other out of the top spots. The SEC has seven teams ranked in the BCS. Before tonight's game those seven teams had a combined 16 losses. If all of those seven teams played each other (as would have happened in the Big 12 and did when it had seven ranked teams last year) they would have at the minimum another five losses between them (and since those 16 losses included five against teams that are not part of that group, the real number of losses they would have had would be 25- ten more losses than they do now!)- and then there wouldn't be seven ranked teams- it would be more like four or five. SEC teams pad their win totals with OOC games and with games against bad SEC teams and that is what gives them a higher percentage of ranked teams, and bowl eligible teams, and even then, the Big 12 had a higher percentage of both last year when MU was sitting at home watching both TCU and West Virginia play their bowl games.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Yawn. The kansas/st kids endless sour grapes over three teams that left their conference is completely nonsense.

Besides, it's very likely you can all cheer on your texas/oklahoma overlords in a game versus Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl this year.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Mizzou will likely be in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando. I hope the 900 fans who actually travel to see the game enjoy themselves. Stay in the Big 12 and it would have been a BCS Bowl, perhaps even the National Championship, but Mizzou fans wouldn't have traveled to see that either.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

So, the "worst conference in the nation" is sending two teams to a BCS bowl.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

beautyfromashes wrote:Mizzou will likely be in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando. I hope the 900 fans who actually travel to see the game enjoy themselves. Stay in the Big 12 and it would have been a BCS Bowl, perhaps even the National Championship, but Mizzou fans wouldn't have traveled to see that either.
damn you are seriously butthurt.

Orlando is certainly a possibility, but Cotton Bowl is what I'm hearing as the most likely bowl Mizzou will get. Would travel well to either one, but I personally would prefer Florida over texas.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

beautyfromashes wrote:Stay in the Big 12 and it would have been a BCS Bowl
:lol: Yes, because the Big 12 always made sure Mizzou got the bowl game they deserved.
longviewmo wrote:So, the "worst conference in the nation" is sending two teams to a BCS bowl.
And the conference that is "as good or better than the SEC from top to bottom" is still not playing for the National Championship. Again.

But hey, don't shoot the messenger.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Mizzou going to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

Supposedly, Mizzou did pretty well ratings wise in KC Saturday. A tweet from Danny Parkins of 610 sports. Not sure if all these events were on at the same time or if they were on at different times on Saturday.

I interpret this language to mean these are local area ratings - not national ratings. But the KU rating does seem suspeciously low for local ratings.

Danny Parkins@DannyParkins
Local TV ratings for Saturday in KC. #Mizzou got a 18.5 rating on CBS, Sporting pulled a 4.3 on ESPN, and KU Basketball a 1.8 on ESPN2.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Congrats to Mizzou on a great regular season. Pinkle and co. definitely exceeded what I thought was possible with this team. The team may be as deep from a recruiting standpoint as ever, but I still think this was Pinkle's best job as a coach. Do Mizzou fans think that this team is better than the 2007-08 squad? worse? impossible to compare? My impression was that Pinkle got more out of this team vs. what was possible than he did the 2007-08 squad.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

knucklehead wrote:Supposedly, Mizzou did pretty well ratings wise in KC Saturday. A tweet from Danny Parkins of 610 sports. Not sure if all these events were on at the same time or if they were on at different times on Saturday.

I interpret this language to mean these are local area ratings - not national ratings. But the KU rating does seem suspeciously low for local ratings.

Danny Parkins@DannyParkins
Local TV ratings for Saturday in KC. #Mizzou got a 18.5 rating on CBS, Sporting pulled a 4.3 on ESPN, and KU Basketball a 1.8 on ESPN2.
All three of those were on at the exact same time IIRC. I know Sporting and Mizzou both kicked off shortly after 3:00. I also know the Mizzou and Sporting numbers are local, so I would assume the ku number is as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Last edited by Highlander on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From Twitter:

"The Oscars are like the Big Ten. Slow, unwatchable, and Nebraska keeps losing."
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Its always striking how often the last word (or in this case "word") in a troll post unintentionally sums up every preceding word.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

You need to charge your battery.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Latest round of conference income for Big 12, SEC schools rivals ticket sales
Total revenue from television contracts, bowl games, NCAA tournaments and ticket sales to league championships are the primary sources for the conferences. Big 12 revenue totaled $214.8 million in 2012-13; the SEC totaled $314.5 million....

Missouri reported $21.1 million in conference revenue in 2012-13, almost doubling its income from the final years in the Big 12. The Tigers’ biggest windfall from their Big 12 era came in 2011, when they received $12.8 million.