KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 63467.html
“Any harm the union and its members may experience if the streetcar project is allowed to commence operations can be remedied in arbitration and/or with an award of monetary damages,” Powell ruled.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not knowledge of unions and arbitration type things... But it seems like arbitration wouldn't remove current drivers right? It would just set up monetary arrangements for those in the bus driver union if jobs were lost?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

okay, what's left of the meanies: watch these visually-impaired children board the streetcar

https://www.facebook.com/chris.hernande ... 6535599852

I DARE YOU NOT TO BREAK DOWN AND CRY TEARS OF JOY
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but some major bus lines will expand hours to match streetcar running until 2AM on weekends...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... atest_side

In some ways KC's bus system is getting better than cities larger than KC, at least in city core. Some cities with rail had to reduce bus service in order to fund rail maintenance, KC's expands instead.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I think Dave started a thread for that awhile back.

Is there any plan to add any more routes to the late night weekend schedule? Like an east-west route?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JBmidtown wrote:I think Dave started a thread for that awhile back.

Is there any plan to add any more routes to the late night weekend schedule? Like an east-west route?
i know they looked at more than 3 routes. the key is making sure people actually use the first 3 offered, otherwise it's an easy cut to make.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a bit about the local software company that's handling the signal priority for streetcar and other users: http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/len ... s-smoothly

the system is up and running, but they're still testing and fine-tuning. curious to hear of any traffic signal observations you've had traveling the corridor in the last 30 days -- cars, bikes, and pedestrians.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ped lights are a mess. I've seen some very quick e/W lights which I assumed was due to this.... And seemed to work well as it was only a couple cars.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:a bit about the local software company that's handling the signal priority for streetcar and other users: http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/len ... s-smoothly

the system is up and running, but they're still testing and fine-tuning. curious to hear of any traffic signal observations you've had traveling the corridor in the last 30 days -- cars, bikes, and pedestrians.
On Tuesday I parked facing NB on Main across from Union Station and saw the train leave from right overhead. I went straight to my car to follow and didn't catch up to it until 7th St and I only hit one red light. So with no traffic is moves well. At Independence it was directly behind me. Then I got all the way around the one-way loop to 3rd and didn't see it behind me the entire time on 5th. There was basically no traffic and it seemed to take as long to go 4 blocks as it took to go 18 blocks. Something about the 5th/Delaware turn slowed it down dramatically but I didn't see what.

One possible issue for cars is a light switching while the train is at a stop on the far side. I saw a truck sitting over the crosswalk behind it. I would add signs that say "do not block intersection" at any spot where an average car couldn't fit behind the train to wait. And maybe add some kind of "stopping" message on the signboard and blinking lights (alternating like a train crossing?) at the rear of the train when a stop is requested. Give drivers a clear alert to be ready. Without the train always stopping drivers won't know if it is.

I also saw someone dart around the train SB between 9th and 10th right as it was starting up from the stop. Bollards separating the through and left turn lanes starting at the stop could help. It's where the street drops from 4 to 2 lanes. Similar on the bridge at the turn lane to Indep Ave NB maybe.

I would do a much better job at marking the "do not wait for a light here" spot on Grand SB at 5th. Maybe paint the width the train will need in yellow at the turn? People are used to pulling past the corner to wait and that stop line is really far back compared to most.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

north side 3rd street bike lane need bollards. Too much trying to whip around streetcar turning left onto Delaware.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I thought of another one.

Go to the parking across from Union Station on Main. You can not see easily the train turnout traffic signal from the spots, behind and to the left is a difficult direction for someone to turn their head. It's why more cars have wide angle mirrors these days. I can also see someone in the front spot trying to beat the train. I pulled out from most of the way back and was actually surprised how it only took like 10 seconds to get to the track. It also only takes 10 seconds for the train to cross all the lanes of traffic. The timing of the two could create a side impact of one vehicle into the other.

Some kind of signage that just says "P - Yield to trains" on the poles in this section of parking could be helpful. Ideally some kind of lit sign would be better like the no left turn signs that activate with the signal cycle, but anything to tell cars to wait would be good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So what can be done to help prevent drivers from blocking the intersections while the streetcar stops at stops...I've seen it happen consistently at metro center, P&L, Kauffman, and crossroads stops. thinking a combo of the following:

- Situational signs preventing left and right turns from E/W directions when streetcar is around that intersection...kind of like is in river market now.
- Use tail message board on train to signal drivers behind that stop is upcoming and to stop at light.
- use smart signals to turn N/S red immediately after streetcar passes through if a stop is upcoming.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:- use smart signals to turn N/S red immediately after streetcar passes through if a stop is upcoming.
likely solution, but that's up to public works.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thoughts on other two ideas?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Hey, are those goofy-assed cartoon passengers going to remain on the streetcar windows permanently?

I hate those.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:Hey, are those goofy-assed cartoon passengers going to remain on the streetcar windows permanently?

I hate those.
Read the text in the speech bubbles and you'll have your answer

Hint- they're testing centric phrases
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote:
chingon wrote:Hey, are those goofy-assed cartoon passengers going to remain on the streetcar windows permanently?

I hate those.
Read the text in the speech bubbles and you'll have your answer

Hint- they're testing centric phrases
I can't read them because the fucking thing is moving and my eyes are old. Also, I'm always drunk outside when I see the streetcar.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chingon wrote:
flyingember wrote:...I'm always drunk outside when I see the streetcar.
Streetcar does that to everybody.
Special super-secret Spanish option.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
chingon wrote:
flyingember wrote:...I'm always drunk outside when I see the streetcar.
Streetcar does that to everybody.
Special super-secret Spanish option.
Sangria?