OFFICIAL - Wallstreet Tower (formerly US Bank Tower)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL: Wallstreet Tower ( was:US Bank Tower going condo)

Post by kuslamb »

DaveKCMO wrote: i completely disagree. you can't rebuild a historic building and a new use could be right around the corner. it might be different if we hadn't lost so many already.

no more tear-downs.
Not trying to get in a pissing match here, but does the greater good ever outweigh what was standing.  I am ignorant of the historic building which once occupied this piece of property, someone please post a pic with a brief description of what it was.  I really like all the historic buildings around downtown and think the make dtkc unique.  I did not know that there was a plan for it to be affordable housing, but how well was that plan being carried out and at what cost are probably never going to be answered. 

Lastly, when does a building become historic.  Many building that are now P&L properties were probably historic?  Is that okay becuase a small surface lot was not put in it's place? 

Like many decisions, I believe this one had pros and cons.  We lost a historic building, with no doubt a history, but we now have the ability to have a good bank, with a small surface lot that will service both Wallstreet Tower and its tennants, as well as the park (in some capacity).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

plenty of on-street parking and garages for days. downtown was already full of banks and ATMs. the park would have been fine without an adjacent surface lot since there are residents and workers nearby at all hours of the day. tearing down that building for a surface lot was despicable, even if it was "needed".

most of the south loop had already been obliterated by the time P+L came along, but in that case the greater good may have outweighed a simple historic structure like the one we're discussing. fortunately, they saved the president hotel, empire theater, and the midland.

so yeah, there's balance to be found, but not in this example.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

kcchief wrote: Last year the grass came in pretty good...don't recall if they re-seeded.  However, it seems we have more lazy f*cks that don't pick up after their dogs now.  Really pisses me off.
Yeah, I'm surprised by how many people just blatantly don't pick up after their dogs.  Especially with two stations there with bags.  I even bring my own bags in case the stands are out of them.  It's not that difficult.  Last night I stood there and watched as some guy from down the street (not from WST) showed up with his dog and let him take a big dump right next to the poop station, then just walked away.  Assclown.

Good to know the grass comes back.  It's a muddy mess out there tonight.
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Free Fertilizer? 
kcchief
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcchief »

Angel wrote: Yeah, I'm surprised by how many people just blatantly don't pick up after their dogs.  Especially with two stations there with bags.  I even bring my own bags in case the stands are out of them.  It's not that difficult.  Last night I stood there and watched as some guy from down the street (not from WST) showed up with his dog and let him take a big dump right next to the poop station, then just walked away.  Assclown.

Good to know the grass comes back.  It's a muddy mess out there tonight.
Why don't you do what I do and confront him?  Everytime I take my dog out I step in a pile of shit.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

kcchief wrote: Why don't you do what I do and confront him?  Everytime I take my dog out I step in a pile of shit.
Ya, grab a baggie, pick it up and tell him, "hey, I think you forgot this."  Nothing will shame a non-pooper-picker-upper like you doing it for him.  Most people probably just aren't aware of how rude it is not to pick up rather than militiously defying social norms.  All it takes is one embarrassing experience to etch in his/her mind forever, "hey, leaving one's poo behind is not cool at all."    If he still refuses, smoosh the turd in his pocket or throw it at him...
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

This probably shouldn't be discussed in the Wallstreet Tower section, but what are the current fines in KC for not picking up after your dog?  Or are there any in place?
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

kcchief wrote: Why don't you do what I do and confront him?  Everytime I take my dog out I step in a pile of shit.
It was night, and it was a strange guy with a big dog.  If I saw someone do that during the day, I'd probably hand them a poop bag with a smile.
kcchief
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcchief »

Angel wrote: It was night, and it was a strange guy with a big dog.  If I saw someone do that during the day, I'd probably hand them a poop bag with a smile.
I understand.  One woman that lives in WST asked a guy to pick up after his dog and he said he was going to shoot her.  This is not a joke...happened last summer I believe.  The guy lives in the affordable housing project across 12th street.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

kcchief wrote: I understand.  One woman that lives in WST asked a guy to pick up after his dog and he said he was going to shoot her.  This is not a joke...happened last summer I believe.  The guy lives in the affordable housing project across 12th street.
ACK!  I just moved here last month!  I'm still a little freaked when I have to take my dog out late at night, but now I just take him down to that lower level on the corner so if something happens at least the security guard is within sight.  Pobably doesn't matter, but it makes me feel better.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

I don't know how you could live downtown with a dog. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

jlbomega wrote: I don't know how you could live downtown with a dog. 
I admit it would more of a pain than I would want to deal with, but most people just pick up their shit.  The "pet comfort station" by the dt Library is a great idea.  How about one or two others throught dt?  What about the park in the middle of dt they are rehabbing with the cemented birds....forget the name/streets it's on. 
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I don't know how you could live downtown with a dog. 
Why?  :?  No different from living out in the burbs.  Only difference is that instead of opening the door walking right outside, I have to go down an elevator, then go outside.  He actually likes it better downtown because there are a lot of people he sees each day who stop and give him attention and treats.
I admit it would more of a pain than I would want to deal with, but most people just pick up their shit.  The "pet comfort station" by the dt Library is a great idea.  How about one or two others throught dt?  What about the park in the middle of dt they are rehabbing with the cemented birds....forget the name/streets it's on. 
That's the park right by WST.  It has 2 pet pickup stations, complete with poop bags and trash bags.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

PumpkinStalker wrote: The "pet comfort station" by the dt Library is a great idea.
It is?  No one appears to pick any of it up.  They have to fence off the grass, and then the little patch or rock is covered in shit.  I cannot imagine having a dog walk through that and then bring his dirty paws back into my place. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that station is a great idea, I don't think it's large enough.

Give the DCID workers ability to write little tickets like not curbing your dog...that will clean it up really fast.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcchief wrote: I understand.  One woman that lives in WST asked a guy to pick up after his dog and he said he was going to shoot her.  This is not a joke...happened last summer I believe.  The guy lives in the affordable housing project across 12th street.
You don't think the same thing happens out in the burbs?  If I were in my front yard, I might have a few things to say to the people that let their dogs shit in my yard or the people that throw trash in my yard.

It's just more "dramatic" when it happens downtown.

I would never threaten so shoot somebody, but I don't you will get shot downtown either.  Some people just can't get along with others.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

GRID wrote: You don't think the same thing happens out in the burbs?  If I were in my front yard, I might have a few things to say to the people that let their dogs shit in my yard or the people that throw trash in my yard.

It's just more "dramatic" when it happens downtown.

I would never threaten so shoot somebody, but I don't you will get shot downtown either.  Some people just can't get along with others.
In the 6 years I lived in my development in the burbs, there wasn't one shooting.  Whether you like it or not, there have been some downtown.  I believe there were recently two just around the corner from this building.  It's not dramatic, it's just what is.  It obviously didn't keep me, and many other former suburbanites, from moving down here but I'm definitely more aware of my surroundings and who's around when I walk my dog at night. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Angel wrote: In the 6 years I lived in my development in the burbs, there wasn't one shooting.  Whether you like it or not, there have been some downtown.  I believe there were recently two just around the corner from this building.  It's not dramatic, it's just what is.  It obviously didn't keep me, and many other former suburbanites, from moving down here but I'm definitely more aware of my surroundings and who's around when I walk my dog at night. 
There's never any cool excitement in the burbs.  Boring!
kcchief
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcchief »

Saw someone with the GC in the elevator today heading up to the pool.  Said they were going over the punch list...almost done!  Now if only the weather would cooperate.
WorldTraveler
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WorldTraveler »

kcchief wrote: Saw someone with the GC in the elevator today heading up to the pool.  Said they were going over the punch list...almost done!  Now if only the weather would cooperate.
Since I am back in town for a while I am planning to get up there a lot on the weekends once the weather gets better.