Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by m.toast »

From KC Public Schools school/site repurposing (http://www.kcpublicschools.org/Page/607):

>Waldo Partners, aka Hen House, terminated its contract to purchase the Bingham site in late Oct 2012. The district is currently assessing interest from previously short-listed teams. Once the district has additional information, it will work with the Tower Homes Neighborhood Association and the Waldo Business Association to provide an update to local stakeholders.

Nooooooo. :cry:
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I had lunch there a couple days ago. The sandwich was pretty good but you could see they were still working some kinks out with the service. I would place it closer to a Jimmy John’s, Firehouse type place and better than a Subway, Goodcents type place. I’ll probably go back when I’m in the neighborhood and don’t feel like a Pizza 51.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Louie's Wine Dive is now open in the old Cantina del Rey spot.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/19/39 ... rylink=twt
Louie’s menu of “gourmet comfort food” includes pastas such as the 4 Pork Gnocchi, which has prosciutto, Berkshire pork shoulder, ground pork and Italian sausage slow-cooked in red wine and cream and served over pan-seared gnocchi. He also offers salmon salads and sandwiches such as the balsamic roasted portabello mushroom.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I was in Waldo looking for Plumber's Friend (no Home Depot, it was not at 83rd and Wornall)

I didn't realize just how much retail was south of 75th. I guess I tend to use Ward Parkway more.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote:I was in Waldo looking for Plumber's Friend (no Home Depot, it was not at 83rd and Wornall)
I think its on 74th or 73rd now, just eats of Wornall. Might be wrong.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

flyingember wrote:I was in Waldo looking for Plumber's Friend (no Home Depot, it was not at 83rd and Wornall)

I didn't realize just how much retail was south of 75th. I guess I tend to use Ward Parkway more.

Unless it moved it was on the east side of Wornall @ 83rd Terr..
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:

Unless it moved it was on the east side of Wornall @ 83rd Terr..
It moved. It is on the north side of 74th terrace just east of Broadway.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

i ended up finding it the same day luckily

where did the bakery go? it was at that 75th and wornall just north of the lamp place
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

flyingember wrote:i ended up finding it the same day luckily

where did the bakery go? it was at that 75th and wornall just north of the lamp place
It's on Gregory and Grand.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Hen House to Waldo: Suck Eggs
Waldo Partners, recently “terminated” plans for a Hen House, said Shannon Jaax, director of the repurposing initiative for Kansas City Public Schools. The developers did not give a reason, Jaax said.
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/26/39 ... house.html
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Another big loss for an urban core neighborhood, courtesy of a vocal NIMBY minority.

Sounds like the 51st and Oak proposal is also teetering on NIMBY-tears right now.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:Another big loss for an urban core neighborhood, courtesy of a vocal NIMBY minority.

Sounds like the 51st and Oak proposal is also teetering on NIMBY-tears right now.
To be fair, I'm not sure how much blame the neighborhood deserves. From an access standpoint, that's a pretty tough site.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

chingon wrote:Sounds like the 51st and Oak proposal is also teetering on NIMBY-tears right now.
Where are you hearing that from? That would be a big loss IMO.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kboish wrote: Where are you hearing that from? That would be a big loss IMO.
It sounds like an appetizing project: Build a Whole Foods Market and 150 apartments on land just west of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Neighborhood residents get a trendy grocery store, students and faculty have more housing options, and UMKC acquires some new office space.

Done deal, right?

Not exactly. Four months after the development south of 51st Street between Oak Street and Brookside Boulevard was announced, no application for building it has been filed at City Hall

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/26/39 ... rylink=cpy
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:
chingon wrote:Another big loss for an urban core neighborhood, courtesy of a vocal NIMBY minority.

To be fair, I'm not sure how much blame the neighborhood deserves. From an access standpoint, that's a pretty tough site.

Disagree 100%. Seems like a breeze to put a grocery store on the corner of two streets, one of which is essentially and unused minor arterial. Add that to the fact that the site is not even in a residential neighborhood, and I'm fucking baffled.

And fuck those Waldo people, too. They all have driveways to park in. Traffic is what streets are for.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Those are two side streets, although 77th cuts off at the trail and is basically useless. So then everything goes in and out on Wyandotte, which is certainly not wide enough to handle trailer deliveries and customer traffic. The late night deliveries alone would probably be enough to get the neighborhood's hackles up. The easiest alternative would be to connect to the Osco parking lot to the north and bring traffic in parallel to the trail. But that would (I think) require permission from the owner of that lot. If that doesn't pan out, you have to deal with the hassle of asking to cross the trail. Not a simple site at all.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I think he was talking about the 51st and Oak Whole Foods.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

heatherkay wrote:I think he was talking about the 51st and Oak Whole Foods.
Well... in that case I agree with him.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:Those are two side streets, although 77th cuts off at the trail and is basically useless. So then everything goes in and out on Wyandotte, which is certainly not wide enough to handle trailer deliveries and customer traffic. The late night deliveries alone would probably be enough to get the neighborhood's hackles up. The easiest alternative would be to connect to the Osco parking lot to the north and bring traffic in parallel to the trail. But that would (I think) require permission from the owner of that lot. If that doesn't pan out, you have to deal with the hassle of asking to cross the trail. Not a simple site at all.
Yes, I meant the Whole Foods site. The Waldo site is, I agree complicated. I would love to see it incorporated into a redo of the SE corner of 75th Wornall...but that is pretty much pipe dreaming. Either way, I'd love to see something done with that site.