Omaha / Council Bluffs

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
KCDevin

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by KCDevin »

uhh Que, those aren't even our our CSA, except for Ottawa, which is definitely in our CSA. In 2003 our population was 1,971,911 that means our population in 2004 is 2 million. Like i've said before, you can't try to make your opinion a fact, your opinion is that Ottawa shouldn't be included, the fact is that it is. If you want to compare populations, you have to use the actual statistics.
Here, I made this from another set of maps I found on google. Our metro area is in the red.
I go by facts, not opinion. Opinions are never facts.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCDevin wrote:uhh Que, those aren't even our our CSA, except for Ottawa, which is definitely in our CSA.
I sure love driving through 40 miles of rural farm fields in between KC suburbs. Seriously though, from downtown KC, you can get to St. Joseph and Lawrence twice as fast as gettin' to Ottawa...plus the homesites aren't as few and far between. This is a fact! The CSA's facts are ridiculous...and that's my opinion.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it's all about commuting or something...it's bunk but if STL is going to use their population stats all the way to columbia, I'm playing by the same rules.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by GRID »

Remove the 7 stupid rural counties and add St Joe and Lawrence and our area has more people in a much smaller area.

MSA stats are stupid:
KCDevin

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by KCDevin »

so are CSA, but I still follow them
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DTO »

Back to Omaha/Council Bluffs

You'll be able to walk from one to the other in style. Our pedestrian bridge is retaining it's 200+ft twin towers. Certain elements of the project were scaled back to make it cheaper instead of compromissing the heighth of the spires. This bridge is to Omaha what the Arch is to Saint Louis.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by trailerkid »

I was in Omaha over the holiday...

Omaha has its good points, but A LOT of work to do. I-80 is a giant eyesore with old 60s crap buildings as far as the eye can see. The freeway itself reminds me a little of the 635 in Wy Co or a ghetto Jo Co 435-- seems way outdated. I didn't realize that much of the inner suburban areas around 84th and Center and such look about like Raytown or Independence. Leaving town, tons of tract housing just sprawled in this farm field along the 680. In the suburban housing department, I'd consider Jo Co a dream come true compared to what I've seen of their Jo Co area-- West Omaha. A lot of the inner areas of Jo Co at least have a little charm and aesthetic value. Much of the areas in Omaha were like crap fry joints from the 70s along this streets with like 8 lanes-- everything just looked like a way more ghetto version of Shawnee Mission Parkway on steriods.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by chrizow »

c'mon, dont pull any punches, tk. :)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by staubio »

I helped move my little brother into college at UNO. That night, they had a scavenger hunt called "cool things to do in Omaha". Being a former resident, I thought I could help, so I stuck around to play along.

It consisted of driving from store to fast food joint to store to movie theater picking up some stupid object. :roll:
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DTO »

trailerkid wrote:I was in Omaha over the holiday...

Omaha has its good points, but A LOT of work to do. I-80 is a giant eyesore with old 60s crap buildings as far as the eye can see. The freeway itself reminds me a little of the 635 in Wy Co or a ghetto Jo Co 435-- seems way outdated. I didn't realize that much of the inner suburban areas around 84th and Center and such look about like Raytown or Independence. Leaving town, tons of tract housing just sprawled in this farm field along the 680. In the suburban housing department, I'd consider Jo Co a dream come true compared to what I've seen of their Jo Co area-- West Omaha. A lot of the inner areas of Jo Co at least have a little charm and aesthetic value. Much of the areas in Omaha were like crap fry joints from the 70s along this streets with like 8 lanes-- everything just looked like a way more ghetto version of Shawnee Mission Parkway on steriods.
You're not going to get a good sense of a place driving on the interstate. Most of the interstates in Omaha don't go near anything worth seeing. If all anyone ever saw of KC was that part of the interstate that goes from KCKS to Wichita they wouldn't have a good idea of what KC was like. And if you were only on 680 and 80 than you never left the city of Omaha. Those areas you listed weren't true suburbs. Just less urban areas of Omaha.

By the way trailerkid, were you vistiing family or just up for the hell of it?
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DTO »

If you haven't been to Omaha now is a good time to come. The Christmas lights are on DT and some of the projects you all have heard about are done or nearly completed. Many new ones are getting started as well.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by GRID »

DTO wrote:If you haven't been to Omaha now is a good time to come. The Christmas lights are on DT and some of the projects you all have heard about are done or nearly completed. Many new ones are getting started as well.
so, tell us about the "new" ones, anything major?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah or give us some dt xmas lights pics.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DanCa »

The last time I was in Omaha was about 10 years ago. Some friends and I took a weekend road trip from KU just to do something different. Went to the Max and did some thrift store shopping. It was a fun trip and my impression of Omaha was that it's a lot like KC, just a bit smaller. It's the perfect distance for a weekend getaway.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by staubio »

DTO wrote: You're not going to get a good sense of a place driving on the interstate. Most of the interstates in Omaha don't go near anything worth seeing. If all anyone ever saw of KC was that part of the interstate that goes from KCKS to Wichita they wouldn't have a good idea of what KC was like. And if you were only on 680 and 80 than you never left the city of Omaha. Those areas you listed weren't true suburbs. Just less urban areas of Omaha.

By the way trailerkid, were you vistiing family or just up for the hell of it?
He speaks the truth. I-80 offers nothing of significance other than Rosenblatt/Zoo at 13th Street. Otherwise, it is pretty depressing. If you're passing through and want to see something, stay with I-29 until downtown and then take Dodge through the core. After 72nd, it basically becomes suburban. You can take 72nd back south to I-80 or wait for I-680 and take that back to I-80. If you wait for the latter, you get to see another mall!!!!
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DTO »

GRID wrote:
so, tell us about the "new" ones, anything major?
I don't know everything, but just check out the Omaha site and they'll have tons of crap on their. One thing of interest is all the new laoft conversions in DTO. The Omaha paper did a story awhile back about how under served the DTO condo market is. Right now we stand and about 500+ condos coming on line when studies show we could support 5,000. I will try to get some links to the stories. I'm busy right now.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by eomaha.com »

Omaha does have quite a few condominium conversions/construction projects going on right now. This is definitely a downtown residential phase we're in (in advance... please don't respond back with how KC's development makes Omaha look like nothing... I have no interest in getting in a pissing contest with big KC... I'm just responding to a question)...

Former Lerner Department store building on the 16th Street mall will see 3 new stories added for 15 upscale condominiums with retail/restaurant space on the bottom 2 floors, underground parking for tenants.

Barker Building will be converted to 42 condominiums targeted to first time buyers to run in the $150,000 range. Plans also include a bookstore, restaurant, and coffee purveyor in the first floor.

One Riverfront Place is comprised of two condo towers with 78 units and 27 row houses townhomes adjacent the Missouri River pedestrian bridge still in planning.

Beebe & Runyan warehouse condominium conversion will include 60 residences built around a 6 story atrium. Gardens and common space will occupy the rooftop

Rows at SoMa is an 83 row house project on the south edge of the Old market. Homes will range in the $200-$400k range.

The Tip Top building is a former model T factory being converted to 96 loft apartments... the project will also include an entertainment center called inPlay which will feature a sports bar, restaurant, and interactive gaming systems.

The former Paxton Hotel building will be renovated into 60 luxury condominiums. Amenities will include a fitness center, theatre for residents, rooftop common area and valet services. The first two floors will include retail, restaurant, office space, and a ballroom.

Old Village Square is a warehouse conversion/expansion project on the southeast edge of the Old Market. The project will include 30 condominiums and include ground floor retail and restaurant space. Three floors will be added to the existing structure with the second floor including office condo space. Prices will range from $300-485k

The former Brandies Department store building will be converted into 144 loft condominiums to be sold at market rate ($190-300k) with penthouses going for up to $1 million[/url]. The developer will retain an existing food court and intends to add a restaurant, service retailers, health club, and small food market on the first floor.

The former Burlington train station building has recently been purchased and the developer has expressed intentions to renovate for both retail/restaurant as well as some residential space.

And here's a couple of pictures from Omaha's downtown holiday lights (and New Years Eve fireworks)

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by ComandanteCero »

nice! :D Omaha looks pretty cool (i've never been up there). It's a shame there isn't more mid-western solidarity. It'll be awesome in 30 years when high-speed rail connects all the cities of the mid-west and people can hop on the train for day trips to cool cities within an hour or two and appreciate all the different and local urban flavors of each city. Good stuff!
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by DTO »

Here is the view from the roof of the Beebe & Runyan condos. The roof will become a private area for the future residents.

The Paxton condos are in the center of this picture.

The Gene Leahy Mall is visible in the foreground.

This is the Heartland of America Park Fountain. The water reaches heights of 300 feet and is one of the largest in the country.

And here's an inside view. Eomaha is in this picture. The area they are standing in will become an atrium that will run from the roof to the bottom of the building.

midwest2dasouth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Omaha / Council Bluffs

Post by midwest2dasouth »

ok hey guys...i have a quick qestion...im thinkin about takin my girl to tha omaha zoo sometime in tha near future...im 18 but i kno my mom wouldnt let us get a hotel an spend tha night...would it be easy for me to make that juss a day trip to tha zoo an come back tha same day...and i have a job so payin for it shouldnt be an issue but around what do yall think tha total cost would include...ie zoo tix, gas, food...etc...thanx 4 tha advice...
DUH