Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

If the Apr 4 ballot questions fail, and another question, for a downtown ballpark emerges, how would you vote?

Yes - build it!
60%
No - screw it!
40%

Total votes: 65

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: Ah, then your saying this applies to the voters of Jackson County:
Ha ha!!  Exactly!!  I think the butterfly-ballot will confuse Jackson County voters!!   :lol:
As I said, if they vote no, then there is absolutely no hope for Kansas City ever reaching it's full potential. We deserve to be as good as Minneapolis or better. We may not reach that in 30 years, but without these people voting Yes, we won't reach that goal in 50 years... Yes, this vote is THAT important.
I would have to agree with you, and that is why I worry about what will happen if this fails.
KC is the way to be!
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I just hope the voters are smart enough to vote Yes... Unfortunately many people are happy with mediocrity. (not saying any1 is on this site, but i'm just talking about those in jackson county)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCDevin wrote: I just hope they vote Yes... If they vote no... Then you can say goodbye to me.
Happy Trails
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Actually, if I don't move. I will completely change my whole life and goal from Architecture to Game Design.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCDevin wrote: Actually, if I don't move. I will completely change my whole life and goal from Architecture to Game Design.
you arent going anywhere devin. calm down. dont let the negative people on here who are pining for a downtown stadium that will NEVER HAPPEN get you down bro. some days they irritate me too, but, i realize, that just like me sitting here dreaming that this is the year the chiefs will win the super bowl, or the royals will win the world series, or i will win the power ball so i can retire to kc or something, you know, it is all just dreams.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: I just hope they vote Yes... If they vote no... Then you can say goodbye to me.
I didn't think it was possible for someone to be more worried about this than me, but I guess there it is!!!

KCDevin, if you want to move to St. Louis, go ahead.  Like I said before, a lot of great things are going on there, and they are "ahead" of Kansas City (mainly because of state funding).  I cannot blame for wanting to go to a "better" place.  I, myself, am tempted sometimes to move to Denver, Houston, or Chicago...just any city "better" than Kansas City!

But, are you SURE you want to turn your back on your city, KCDevin?  Part of having city pride is seeing your city through the good times with the bad.  The fun times with the stupid times...kind of like for better or worse.  If the vote fails, it is not the end of the world for KC.  There are a lot of options left.  Yes, that leaves a lot left to decide, and it could move the city BACKWARDS.  But other cities (Houston, Cleveland, and even St. Louis) have had set-backs.  They have all lost teams.  And those cities were able to bounce back and become better than ever.  Will it happen for KC?  Only not turning your back on the city will find out...  This is why I think I will always be happy to be a Kansas Citian.
KC is the way to be!
KansasCityFan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KansasCityFan »

AllThingsKC wrote:But, are you SURE you want to turn your back on your city, KCDevin?  Part of having city pride is seeing your city through the good times with the bad.  The fun times with the stupid times...kind of like for better or worse.  If the vote fails, it is not the end of the world for KC.  There are a lot of options left.  Yes, that leaves a lot left to decide, and it could move the city BACKWARDS.  But other cities (Houston, Cleveland, and even St. Louis) have had set-backs.  They have all lost teams.  And those cities were able to bounce back and become better than ever.  Will it happen for KC?  Only not turning your back on the city will find out...  This is why I think I will always be happy to be a Kansas Citian.
=D> =D> =D> Here, Here!  =D> =D> =D>
One Kansas City Place: The Tallest Building in MISSOURI!  (Yes, that means taller than the Arch)
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

If I can't see KC reach the current status of Minneapolis and grow larger in my lifetime, then i'm not going to live here. I've been planning my architecture career to be based in the midwest and mainly here so I can build not really large projects, but aesthetic projects and buildings. I want to be able to help this city grow and expand. But hey, I wouldn't want my career to be in a town where there is no hope of moving forward in great steps because of selfish people...

It's the FREAKING SUPER BOWL AND ALL STAR GAME... Those are two things you won't see either of our teams in... The Royals won't be in the All-Star Game except a few players who won't really even play. To say no to these two events is like saying you don't give a crap about the city and it's advancement... These events will likely make even Truman Boulevard happen to an extent...

It won't be my city if the other citizens turn their back on it. St. Louis, or even Chicago could easily become my city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDevin wrote: If I can't see KC reach the current status of Minneapolis and grow larger in my lifetime, then I'm not going to live here.
Better get out now then, cause KC will never catch mnnpls.  :)

If I could do it all over again, I would not have stayed in KC, but once you get married, have kids, buy houses, get caught up in careers etc, you get "stuck".

KC is great, but I do wonder how different our lives might be if we took the chance while we could and moved to a bit larger and more progressive city that had more than farms around it for 600 miles.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: Better get out now then, cause KC will never catch mnnpls.  :)
...or Chicago. 
KC is the way to be!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AllThingsKC wrote: ...or Chicago. 
....or portland.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I never said catch GRID, if you noticed, I said CURRENT Minneapolis ;)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCDevin wrote: I never said catch GRID, if you noticed, I said CURRENT Minneapolis ;)
Then, my reply to you is what I said above:
AllThingsKC wrote: But, are you SURE you want to turn your back on your city, KCDevin?  Part of having city pride is seeing your city through the good times with the bad.  The fun times with the stupid times...kind of like for better or worse.  If the vote fails, it is not the end of the world for KC.  There are a lot of options left.  Yes, that leaves a lot left to decide, and it could move the city BACKWARDS.  But other cities (Houston, Cleveland, and even St. Louis) have had set-backs.  They have all lost teams.  And those cities were able to bounce back and become better than ever.  Will it happen for KC?  Only not turning your back on the city will find out...  This is why I think I will always be happy to be a Kansas Citian.
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCDevin wrote: St. Louis has smarter voters, better pride, and they are getting crap done that we should have done a long time ago.
Exactly, including DOWNTOWN BASEBALL.  Our lack of pride shines through with the support renovations have.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCDevin wrote: I see this passing AllThingsKC, the only real advertisement is coming from the Yes side. And unless the people of Jackson county are closed-minded and thick headed, many should be swayed to reason.
However it all depends on how worthless and greedy the voters are...
Wow, you are crazy.  You should call Gloriosio, he'll be glad to know you've downed 45 gallons of the Kool-Aid.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCDevin wrote: I just hope the voters are smart enough to vote Yes... Unfortunately many people are happy with mediocrity. (not saying any1 is on this site, but i'm just talking about those in jackson county)
Your reasons for voting yes are the very reasons we all advocate a NO vote.  Those happy with mediocrity are the ones voting YES.  Those with a vision for something better will vote No.  You need to examine your logic.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Devin, knock off the Jackson County bashing.  Do you think Clay County is any better?  Oh, I'm sure Clay County would pass a downtown stadium in a heartbeat even though they failed BSII (even though it had nothing to do with a downtown stadium)

Progressive thinking?

That is a metropolitan wide problem here, including the urban core.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Devin, knock off the Jackson County bashing.  Do you think Clay County is any better?  Oh, I'm sure Clay County would pass a downtown stadium in a heartbeat even though they failed BSII (even though it had nothing to do with a downtown stadium)
downtown platte city.

man, this forum is going to suck it big time next tuesday night if this fails, which, it probably will. all you downtown ballpark dreamers are going to go crazy saying the 49-51 or 47-53 vote PROVES that jacko residents really want a new stadium alltogether.

i hope if it fails you guys get your wish and get a downtown park on the ballot, just so i can laugh my ass off when it fails 75-25 or something.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

GRID, I know it is the same thing for Clay County. However Clay County isn't the county voting for it. It'd be great if KCMO were it's own county like St. Louis. Then we could ignore the freaking bistate votes and let those who live in the city itself vote for it.

lock&load, you know that is bullshit... We aren't going to get the freaking Super Bowl if the Chiefs move. We won't get the All Star Game if we build a new stadium. Don't you see the damn message? They offer us an All-Star Game OVER all the other cities who DID build Downtown Stadiums...

You have to be absolutely stupid if you'd sacrifice the Chiefs for a Downtown Stadium. I want a Downtown stadium as much as anyone, but not at the expense of the two biggest events that KC will ever experience.

This is why I hate the damned Stadiums section. The majority bashes the shit out of anyone who opposes them and the few of us who want to vote yes get hounded on for speaking out against voting no. I could care less about your opinions if you vote no. I'm just glad you aren't the ones running the city, because we would get nowhere...

If the no's win... I will cuss and rant, and will leave this site PERMENTANTLY, unless the teams decide to stay in Missouri, stay in Jackson County, and stay in Kansas City. If they move anywhere else. You can say goodbye to me. And I couldn't give a crap what your opinion of me is. I will voice my opinion just like you voice yours. I have been on this site longer than many people posting in this thread now, and I can tell you one thing, there are only a few members who have kept my respect since I joined. And those that were here before I joined know how much more productive and respectful this forum used to be.

It's not that I hate you for your opinion. But I hate your idea and beliefs. I believe it WILL ruin the city if it happens, and I would love to watch this city struggle to grow while sitting in the suburbs or in another city alltogether.

A downtown stadium is not going to cause massive redevelopment Downtown... At best it would cause something a little less than what St. Louis is doing. That would mean only 1,200 units or less. However if this passes, we will get a lot more convention space, more hotels, etc... all Downtown because of the Super Bowl and All-Star Game.

Kauffman will fill up for it's game, and so will Arrowhead, the entire nation's eyes will be on KC... What will happen with a DT stadium? Nothing... We won't get recognized by the nation, we will just be another typical city with a typical, steady Downtown growth that doesn't accelerate. Years from now, without these renovations, we will still be the little hick, redneck, cowtown in the middle of Kansas. With these two events, we can show millions of people what we really are, we are a big, vibrant, happening cowtown.
Last edited by KCDevin on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

kcdcchef wrote: i realize, that just like me sitting here dreaming that this is the year the chiefs will win the super bowl, or the royals will win the world series, or i will win the power ball so i can retire to kc or something, you know, it is all just dreams.
I'm not dreaming of either of those scenarios.

Rather, I'm dreaming of a day when downtown KC is fully complemented with a top notch arena, baseball stadium, arts culture and entertainment district to complement it's already growing dt population.

But, I realize many just want to keep on driving to that big open ashphalt jungle, mindlessly wander in to and out of the Graveyard and never experience anything different than the interior of their box seat and the driver's seat of their vehicle.

Wow...what an exciting scenario!
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze