The Mixx

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: The Mixx

Post by trailerkid »

So the woman that's the new YelpKC intern wrote a review for this place and said she couldn't give it a high rating because it was a chain and called the food "standard corporate cuisine."  :?

I wrote her a message saying it was a local woman that started the South Plaza location and el dorado did the interior work which makes it look polished. I guess I just don't consider it a chain being that there are two locally owned locations. It kinda bugs me that someone unknowingly reads a review of a local place, sees it's a chain, and goes to Panera or Starbucks instead. I'm not the biggest fan of the Mixx, but is it a chain with "standard corporate cuisine?" Do local places get punished and lumped into being corporate or a chain if they have very slick interior design and branding?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

here was her response to me:

"there are a couple in columbia, too. either way, it's STERILE in there. noticeably impersonal. but thanks for the facts!"
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

She sure set you straight
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: She sure set you straight
huh?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: huh?
He was joking. That was a ridiculous response to your email. Also, there are not any Mixx restaurants in Columbia. That stupid shit intern is probably thinking of Ingredient. That's really annoying that she basically doesn't give a shit.

To your second point: Yes, I think if local restaurants are too slick they lose points for some reason. Which I think is ridiculous. I appreciate the nice branding and interior design.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

It's definitely not a chain.  And I wouldn't compare it to one.  I think it's just the nature of the concept she's decided to go with.  The sleek minimal decor and the fact that it's "Cafeteria" style doesn't allow it to have much personality.  But the food is good and it's usually a quick, convenient experience.  I hit the one by the Library quite often.  

Personally, I hate the words "Chain" or "Corporate" when it comes to describing restaurants.  They really don't mean anything.  A recent blog on the Pitch website listed Spin Pizza as the best KC pizza.  One commenter criticized the article because "Spin is a National Chain".  Obviously wrong.  And local restaurants that have the success that allows them to open a few local or regional locations, like Blanc and several others, should be appreciated and celebrated.  
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I agree. Chains can be good or bad. Local restaurants can be good or bad. I'll choose a good local restaurant first, but I'd rather eat at a good chain than at a bad local restaurant.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

trailerkid wrote: here was her response to me:

"there are a couple in columbia, too. either way, it's STERILE in there. noticeably impersonal. but thanks for the facts!"
Not to mention the fact that she is part of a venerable KC restaurant family. What a bozo (the Yelp intern). That's why Yelp (and similar things) are a two-edged sword. There is nothing to stop people from being snarky yet somehow they get cred and can damage a restaurant's chances for success.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moosnsqrl wrote: Not to mention the fact that she is part of a venerable KC restaurant family. What a bozo (the Yelp intern). That's why Yelp (and similar things) are a two-edged sword. There is nothing to stop people from being snarky yet somehow they get cred and can damage a restaurant's chances for success.
in fairness to Yelp...there is a "flag" feature which allows Yelpers (like myself) to request a review is removed exactly for the reasons we're discussing. i chose to contact her directly and explain the misinformation, but i could've just flagged the review to send it to a Yelp moderator. if there is a local community on Yelp which actively polices the site then it works much better.

but i totally agree with you. it is a massive double-edged sword. it also forces restaurants/businesses having a bad day or w/ an employee or two that are liabilities into a very precarious and vulnerable position. still...the good it does by promoting local restaurants, businesses outweighs much of that IMO.