DT Lofts/Condos

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: DT Lofts/Condos

Post by myxomatosis »

Downtowner wrote: I think the demand is there but the competition has caused the poorly done units to not sell. I toured building three and they look like basic apartments at ridiculous prices. They are white boxes with nice kitchens...not at all how the original Western Auto Lofts looked. Really nice finished condos are selling fast (like Greenlease Cadillac and WallStreet). The basic units where the developer hasn't invested much in the interiors won't sell. The competition is squeezing them out. The market demands that urban condos have a good view or a great finish (wood floors, granite, molding, etc)
I haven't seen the finished products in building 3 yet.  I plan to check them out during the open house.  That said, the floor plans don't excite me.  However, I am envious of their balconies, but wouldn't trade living in the WA building for them.

Side note: I saw this in the KC
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

myxomatosis wrote: Side note: I saw this in the KC
hit the post button accidentally...anyway, I was trying to say that I saw this in the KC Star the other day.  The downtown library is hosting condo buying seminars.  The next one is 2/8.
http://www.kclibrary.org/guides/persona ... icleID=344
shelroni
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by shelroni »

The condo seminar at the library is pretty informative. I went in January and learned a lot about how the process works. There is more to buying than most people think.

I also found out that there is another building in the garment district that is going to convert to condo in 2006. It sounds like it will be in current condition with upgrades optional. If I understand right it will be less than $200/sqft. That should make every unit in the building sell for less than $200,000. Buyer beware: Get an agent before you shop there. The will keep them "unlisted" as long as possible to discourage people from working with their own realtor. Don't worry though. The price stays the same even if you have an agent.

This might be a great building for all of you that are having trouble finding the right price, location, and style of condo.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

shelroni wrote: The condo seminar at the library is pretty informative. I went in January and learned a lot about how the process works. There is more to buying than most people think.

I also found out that there is another building in the garment district that is going to convert to condo in 2006. It sounds like it will be in current condition with upgrades optional. If I understand right it will be less than $200/sqft. That should make every unit in the building sell for less than $200,000. Buyer beware: Get an agent before you shop there. The will keep them "unlisted" as long as possible to discourage people from working with their own realtor. Don't worry though. The price stays the same even if you have an agent.

This might be a great building for all of you that are having trouble finding the right price, location, and style of condo.
Which building are you talking about? Opera House?
lagavulin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lagavulin »

I don't think it would be Opera House- my unit is over 1200 sq ft,  making the $200/sq ft price over $200K.  I would be interested to find out which building it is though, Shelroni.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

lagavulin wrote: I don't think it would be Opera House- my unit is over 1200 sq ft,  making the $200/sq ft price over $200K.  I would be interested to find out which building it is though, Shelroni.
I live in the Opera House as well. What floor are you on? I have likely ran into you at some point.
lagavulin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lagavulin »

I live on the 2nd floor, but I'm moving out at the end of the month.  Bought a condo.  I've had a great time living at Opera House....
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I live on the third floor, myself. Have you guys heard about the supposed rash of break-ins?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

We're on the fourth floor, heck didn't you say you went to Paseo mean?

I haven't heard anything about break-ins recently. What floor did it occur on, or which parking lot was it for vehicles?

My car was one of those vandalized in the parking garage downstairs. When we were in the newly-dubbed Coffee House Lofts, our personal storage space was scavenged by people who moved out and I had my motor scooter stolen/car broken into when we were in the SOHO location over in front of the Standard Parking area. The dogshit in the elevator and in the garage has me about sick of living there, with everything else. I love the location and our view of downtown. We're in the process of renewing our lease actually for a year, and have been considering the option of perhaps getting entirely out of the SOHO network.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

Moniker wrote: We're on the fourth floor, heck didn't you say you went to Paseo mean?

I haven't heard anything about break-ins recently. What floor did it occur on, or which parking lot was it for vehicles?

My car was one of those vandalized in the parking garage downstairs. When we were in the newly-dubbed Coffee House Lofts, our personal storage space was scavenged by people who moved out and I had my motor scooter stolen/car broken into when we were in the SOHO location over in front of the Standard Parking area. The dogshit in the elevator and in the garage has me about sick of living there, with everything else. I love the location and our view of downtown. We're in the process of renewing our lease actually for a year, and have been considering the option of perhaps getting entirely out of the SOHO network.
Here at the Library Lofts the storage spaces have been broken into twice since Thanksgiving including mine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean wrote: I live on the third floor, myself. Have you guys heard about the supposed rash of break-ins?
In opera house?  wouldn't those show up in the police reports?  I haven't seen any in recent reports.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
lagavulin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lagavulin »

mean wrote: I live on the third floor, myself. Have you guys heard about the supposed rash of break-ins?
Actually, when I came home a couple weeks ago, 2 cops were at the end of my hallway with a tenant filling out a report- it looked like they had been broken into- the cops were inspecting the lock/deadbolt.  Probably has something to do with them taking a week and a half to fix the downstairs door (from the garage).  It never really locked for a while...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I did see in the latest reports of that burglary....but that's the only one lately I remember seeing.  Not really a rash.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Granted, Standard Parking lots are notorious for vandalism of vehicles and break-ins. I didn't hear about the theft in someone's home though - that is quite disturbing.

~m.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Moniker wrote: We're on the fourth floor, heck didn't you say you went to Paseo mean?

Yeah, I went to Paseo. Well, sort of. More accurately, I was enrolled at Paseo. ;)

I heard about the break-ins from a (supposed) victim on the second floor. Was walking through the garage and she just randomly approached me and was like, "you know, my apartment got broken into..." and proceeded to tell me a story about how the maintenance people had been there to change her furnace filter and didn't lock her door completely or something. I dunno. It didn't really worry me much. Anyway, I said "rash" of break-ins searching for third-party verification, 'cause she claimed it had happened to someone else, too, but couldn't give me much in the way of detail. Apparently the office will install various security devices on your door (there are several on the third floor now) that foil such attempts.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCRealtor
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRealtor »

A new condo/rowhome project in Columbus Park is supposed to be around $180 per sf...pretty low.  It is a conversion/new build just north of Garozzos Italian Restaurant.  The Columbus Park neighborhood assoc. is all about it because it is historic in nature preserving the urban quality of the neighborhood.  I have some friends considering a purchase there. 
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

mean wrote: Yeah, I went to Paseo. Well, sort of. More accurately, I was enrolled at Paseo. ;)
That's all of us, brother! I think that is the only school I've "attended" where I was there half the time and still managed to get a 3.4 GPA.

Good to know about the break-in. I'll have to call Jocelyn about the security issues. I've been a victim of theft twice now already, not counting the break-in into my car.

/wince
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Moniker wrote: That's all of us, brother! I think that is the only school I've "attended" where I was there half the time and still managed to get a 3.4 GPA.

Good to know about the break-in. I'll have to call Jocelyn about the security issues. I've been a victim of theft twice now already, not counting the break-in into my car.

/wince
yeah, i was at paseo too. i guess we all went to paseo
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D