OFFICIAL: The College Basketball Experience (NABC Hall of Fame) building design

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame building design

Post by KCPowercat »

yes, why bother improving street interaction for pedestrians.

I'm the one who said it was 80' (sarcastic) because of the lack of scale between those people in the drawing and the model.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Grand is a boulevard and should not be a typical downtown street.  It is the widest street downtown and to put something like this along it should be an embarrassment for the City.
Besides, the building should be tied to the steam and cold water systems downtown to save money.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

More details released today...

http://kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4007 ... =menu101_3

Looks like the plans include a holodeck.   I don't want to be around when the characters become sentient and start killing everyone....
On the second floor, visitors will find multimedia exhibits designed to recreate the atmosphere of the college game -- by putting them into the middle of the action.

"You'll put yourself in those positions -- where there's a crowd, what a coach says, what a player does, how to dribble and hit that shot," Krzyzewski said at a news conference. "For that moment, we hope College Basketball the Experience will unite what you are doing with what has been done for over the last hundred years."

Krzyzewski, who is president of the NABC Foundation, seemed particularly taken with an attraction designed -- hostile crowd noise and all -- to simulate shooting free throws late in a close game.
Last edited by scooterj on Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jhawkman02
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Jhawkman02 »

Dont know if anyone posted this, but heres some info of it from the NABC website.

http://nabc.collegesports.com/nabc_prog ... ience.html
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Grand is a boulevard and should not be a typical downtown street.  It is the widest street downtown and to put something like this along it should be an embarrassment for the City.
:| =;
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Here's the Star story on the latest info :

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 956569.htm
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

From the article:

[quote]“I would like to recommend that for the next writers’ convention, we have it here in Kansas City — and every basketball writer goes up and shoots one of those free throws with all of that around him,â€
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

Long wrote: From the article:

Oh cry me a river.  That's a basketball player's friggin job.  I'd like to see a basketball coach step into my job for a day and see how much he's able to accomplish.
I agree with you, but two things: He's trying to do what every coach should do - protect his players in the eyes of the public. (Privately is a different matter). Secondly, it's probably taken out of context - I think he was trying to be funny.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Boognish wrote: I agree with you, but two things: He's trying to do what every coach should do - protect his players in the eyes of the public. (Privately is a different matter). Secondly, it's probably taken out of context - I think he was trying to be funny.
I didn't know Satan was capable of humor. 
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I didn't know Satan was capable of humor. 
Coach K is Satan? A Kentucky grad, I take it?  :D
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I'm hoping that this building will be one of the ones that everyone will be surprised about the final product.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I'm hoping that this building will be one of the ones that everyone will be surprised about the final product.
If it has anything in common with the current rendering, my guess is that is a patent impossibility.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Tosspot wrote: If it has anything in common with the current rendering, my guess is that is a patent impossibility.
I don't think the design of it is that bad but that one blank wall facing the P&L District needs to be covered up with a few billboards or a neon sign(saying, NABC Hall of Fame).... :P
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KansasCityCraka wrote: I don't think the design of it is that bad but that one blank wall facing the P&L District needs to be covered up with a few billboards or a neon sign(saying, NABC Hall of Fame).... :P
Actually I was thinking today when I was DT about possibly having an electronic billboard. Bartle Hall is the only place DT that really has a some what big electronic billboard.
Last edited by KansasCityCraka on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Actually I was thinking today when I was DT about possiblt having an electronic billboard. Bartle Hall is the only place DT that really has a some what big electronic billboard.
good idea, Im sure they will have some when the pnl is done, possibly on the side of some old bldg to cover up some of the shit DT.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Coaches, KC poised to build hall

The Kansas City Council today is expected to endorse a contract with the National Association of Basketball Coaches to create a hall of fame connected to the Sprint Center.

The development agreement sets the stage for the organization to seek state tax credits, which should help with its aggressive goal of raising $8 million more in donations for the project.

The council’s Finance Committee signed off on the development agreement Wednesday, and it goes before the full council today.

“This is one more step in getting us to the ultimate resolution of what is going to be a terrific facility,â€
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

$4 million in tax credits OK’d

Proposed hoops hall gets boost from state

Facility would be near Sprint Center

By KEVIN COLLISON - The Kansas City Star

The proposed National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame got a big assist Tuesday when a state agency approved tax credits that could generate up to $8 million in donations.

The rest of the article : http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 176919.htm
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame Construction

KCP, I made this thread so we can monitor the NABC Hall of Fame Construction in it's own thread, so the Arena thread will not get over crowded. The only thread made for the NABC so far is for the renderings.

On the webcam today you can see a crane that is now on the NABC site. Maybe they will finally get moving on this also. Does anyone think this block will have a small tower crane? It's only 4 stories so I don't know. I think it would be a lot easier for them to have one.  :P
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame Construction

Post by bahua »

So nobody else needs to google it:

NABC = National Association of Basketball Coaches
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: NABC Hall of Fame Construction

This week they started placing the foundation.