2011 Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2011 Sporting Kansas City

Post by bobbyhawks »

The press conference was very cool.  They are hoping that this is a new movement in partnerships with sports and entertainment venues and believe that someone will copy this idea within the next year or so.  It really reiterates why the name was changed to better be a force in the community, and it shows that OnGoal is willing to actually do something on this front instead of just paying lip service.

They mentioned the Lance Armstrong foundation's relationship with the Stowers Institute and American Century, along with other local institutions such as KU Med.  A portion of procedes from all ticket sales will go to cancer research.  Pretty terrific idea.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Where is a good place to find Sporting KC gear in KC? Specifically a jersey or scarf?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

KCMax wrote: Where is a good place to find Sporting KC gear in KC? Specifically a jersey or scarf?
I am not sure about locally right now, but the MLS website has quite a few items. I bought the scarf last week.

http://www.mlsgear.com/shop-by-mls-team ... -city.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KansasCityCraka wrote: I am not sure about locally right now, but the MLS website has quite a few items. I bought the scarf last week.

http://www.mlsgear.com/shop-by-mls-team ... -city.html
Yea, I was thinking online was the way to go, I was hoping there might be a good store in town to try stuff on.

Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

KC area Dick's Sporting Goods have some stuff. Although about two weeks ago I only found one shirt at the 119th and Nall location.

Kansas Sampler Superstore on Quivira is supposed to have a good selection.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

From a few weeks back, my visit to the stadium construction:

https://picasaweb.google.com/ezstreet19/SportingPark
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Some tweeting going back and forth between SKC (or their reps) and Chad Ochocinco about getting Ochocinco to play at Sporting KC during the NFL lockout.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote: Some tweeting going back and forth between SKC (or their reps) and Chad Ochocinco about getting Ochocinco to play at Sporting KC during the NFL lockout.
I hope Sporting KC isn't that dense.  This would just reinforce the minor league-ness of the MLS in many people's minds, unless they are willing to make him work his way through the ranks.  The team needs to take itself seriously in the new stadium and not resort to gimmicks.  There is a difference between being a super-athletic fan and being someone who actually has some pro-level experience.  Think what a joke it would be if an MLB team had signed Michael Jordon to a major league contract instead of a minor league one.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: I hope Sporting KC isn't that dense.  This would just reinforce the minor league-ness of the MLS in many people's minds
I'm sorry, but MLS is minor league. We get washed up euro legends and our truly accomplished players would rather come off the bench in Germany, England, Italy or Spain. I must have missed Beckham's tryout with the Galaxy - and him working his way up through the ranks.

All I ever hear people say is, "imagine if the most gifted of US athletes chose to play soccer rather than football or basketball...." - and now one does - and you don't want him? He's a huge soccer supporter and fan - and a tremendous athlete.

Worldwide, I'd say MLS is the equivaqlent of AA baseball - and that's where Jordan started... and did relatively well.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Anybody catch the newscaster (not sure which one) who referred to the stadium as "LIVESTRONG" as in Live (NBA Live, LiveNation, etc.). He did it twice. How can you not know what LIVESTRONG is and be in sports?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: I'm sorry, but MLS is minor league. We get washed up euro legends and our truly accomplished players would rather come off the bench in Germany, England, Italy or Spain. I must have missed Beckham's tryout with the Galaxy - and him working his way up through the ranks.
Nice try, but Beckam's tryout was playing for two of the best teams in the world for a number of years.  Ochocinco has never played professional soccer.  Beckham could still sign with an English Premiership team if he wasn't with the Galaxy.  In fact, he was just on loan to an Italian Serie A superpower.  He was actually under consideration for the English national World Cup team until he got injured.  Tottenham was recently trying to get him on loan, but the Galaxy blocked the deal.  This is one of the best technical players at his position ever.
WSPanic wrote: All I ever hear people say is, "imagine if the most gifted of US athletes chose to play soccer rather than football or basketball...." - and now one does - and you don't want him? He's a huge soccer supporter and fan - and a tremendous athlete.
Sure, but they mean "imagine if the most gifted of US athletes chose to play soccer rather than football or basketball at an early age like they do those other sports."  Level of soccer enthusiasm doesn't really mean anything.  He plays a sport where he runs and uses his hands.  Completely different dynamic with soccer.  You have to grow up playing the sport or at the very least pay your dues to attain the skills to be one of the greatest.
WSPanic wrote: Worldwide, I'd say MLS is the equivaqlent of AA baseball - and that's where Jordan started... and did relatively well.
You may be right on that one.  MLS quality is certainly below that of most European leagues, but Jordan grew up playing baseball every summer.  MJ hit .202/.289/.266 in AA with a strikeout to walk ratio of 2.24 and 11 errors in 1994.  There were only two guys on the roster that season with worse averages and one of them only played in 4 games.  I will believe Ochocinco is good when I see it, but I would prefer that KC stay out of that circus.  It certainly wouldn't help the standing of a league trying to become more than just a minor league system.  Child please.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

NDTeve wrote: Anybody catch the newscaster (not sure which one) who referred to the stadium as "LIVESTRONG" as in Live (NBA Live, LiveNation, etc.). He did it twice. How can you not know what LIVESTRONG is and be in sports?
I don't know if this is who you meant, but I caught Michael Coleman? I think is his name, the new sports director at KCTV5 mispronounce it. I'm honestly not sure how that guy earned a journalism degree, he is a butcher of the English language, and seems as comfortable on TV as the "boom goes the dynamite" guy.

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCMax wrote: I don't know if this is who you meant, but I caught Michael Coleman? I think is his name, the new sports director at KCTV5 mispronounce it. I'm honestly not sure how that guy earned a journalism degree, he is a butcher of the English language, and seems as comfortable on TV as the "boom goes the dynamite" guy.
Exactly. Great call on "Boom Goes the Dynamite."
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Ochocinco to trail with Sporting Kansas City next week.

Read the release here:
http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/03/ ... porting-kc
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm still skeptical as to the real purpose of this situation.  If it is just to get the biggest name possible in association with the team, I'm not sure that it will help them build a successful team. 

I'll admit that at first I was not a fan of this idea, but I will also admit that it could be interesting if handled correctly.  I did not realize before that Chad played "a lot" of soccer growing up, but that could mean any number of different things.  Just so long as they don't turn this into an annoying, 1970's, Oakland A's-esque publicity ploy.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Back in the days when the NBA had 7 or so draft choices the KC Kings drafted Bruce Jenner.  Yes, it was more-or-less a publicity stunt but late round draft choices didn't have much of a chance anyway to make the NBA.  But he was a very good athlete with a decent chance to be the 12th man and over time who knows.  And don't forget the chance the Royals took with Bo Jackson.  And don't forget the chance the Dallas Cowboys took with Bob Hayes
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

He has stepped up and kicked the ball a few times during the preseason when Cincy's placekicker got hurt, and he's lobbied to be the regular backup.  Pretty good kicker.

The soccer thing is not something that just came out of the blue.  It's something he's talked about on a pretty regular basis.  He grew up in Miami, too, so he grew up playing against native futbol-speakers rather than on a suburban rec league, I would imagine.  I can't imagine he would be MLS-ready, but he might surprise some people.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And don't forget the chance the Royals took with Bo Jackson.
Bo was a college baseball star.  Not much of a chance to take on a .400 hitter with power and speed.  I'm not reading anything that is describing Chad Johnson was an upcomming soccer player at any point in time.
heatherkay wrote: The soccer thing is not something that just came out of the blue.  It's something he's talked about on a pretty regular basis.  He grew up in Miami, too, so he grew up playing against native futbol-speakers rather than on a suburban rec league, I would imagine.  I can't imagine he would be MLS-ready, but he might surprise some people.
Well, I often talk about how cool it would be to play for Real Madrid, and I have also visited Madrid where a lot of great soccer players live, so therefore, I could also surprise some people.

I hate to be the hater on this issue because it would be seriously amazing/wonderful if this worked out and Chad was a solid player.  I just have my doubts, and kicking a stationary football straight and having a high level of enthusiasm for the game have done little to erase them.  I have seen enough unreal athletes suck at golf, celebrity basketball games, etc., to think that it is simple to crossover.  Football, with its 11 super specialized positions, is the easiest sport to stick freaks of nature who aren't well rounded athletes.  I'm certainly not saying Chad is one, but rather that we just don't know.  I will still be a fan regardless, and I hope it works out.  I also hope it isn't just some marketing ploy for a guy with no job at the present.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bobbyhawks wrote: Bo was a college baseball star.  Not much of a chance to take on a .400 hitter with power and speed.  I'm not reading anything that is describing Chad Johnson was an upcomming soccer player at any point in time.
True, but it was a given that Bo was going to be a football player instead of a baseball player.  So, it was a gamble for the Royals to draft him.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

Ochocinco has three things going for him: world class athleticism, professional sports work ethic and access to professional coaches. Given some time, why the hell couldn't he switch?  The NY Yankees say Michael Jordan would have made it to the majors had there have been no MLB lockout.