The Jones Ultra Pool

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: The Jones Ultra Pool

Post by KCPowercat »

The event was sold out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

I can't tell from the pics, but is this place a dochebag or a hipster gathering spot? It's obviously not a hip hop spot  :shock:
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

GRID wrote: Don't most of the larger condo buildings have pools?
The only condo I've ever spent any time in downtown had its own top floor pool area; I just assumed that most of the others similar to it did, too.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

What do apartment/condo pools have to do with anything? Are some of you expecting people to dive in and start swimming laps?

This Jones is just as much a "swimming pool" as Big Sky is a "country and western" bar. The place is run by friggin' Mosaic...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

You're right. Discussing transit in the amc thread was much more relevant.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

PumpkinStalker wrote: You're right. Discussing transit in the amc thread was much more relevant.
well played
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

PumpkinStalker wrote: You're right. Discussing transit in the amc thread was much more relevant.
I didn't bring transit up. There were about 3 dozen comments about parking problems and how patrons thought the parking should be free. The topic had nothing to do with the theater by the time I got there and the title should've been changed to "How do I park in front of the new AMC for free." The only thing I did was point it out, but thanks for following my comments.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

You perpetuated it's irrelevance by antagonizing others to respond to your nonsense.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Both of you shut the fu** up. Too much bitchin. Try sticking to the topic at hand
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ramseym_com »

This weekend I was attended the grand opening of The Jones Rooftop Pool in downtown Kansas City. This is about 6'ish stories high, right above Cosentino's Market. There's 12 private cabanas, full cocktail service, swim-up bar, as well as a daily DJ and concierge service.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical of this pool being installed downtown, it's something you typically see in New York, LA or Vegas. But, after walking in and looking around, I assure you- it's legit. The layout and setup is bigger than I thought it would be. The view of course, is awesome. The KC downtown skyline surrounds the entire pool. Something interesting I thought I'd mention- it's named "The Jones" because The Jones Store used to be located in the same spot from 1902 to 1998.

The membership costs at the pool are what I think are completely ridiculous. They've tiered out the costs to:
Platinum: $1,000 ($400/3 months)
Executive: $750 ($300/3 months)
Premium: $400 ($150/3 months)

However, membership isn't required- so you can just show up and purchase a day pass (the more logical thing to do given those prices). These are at least priced competitive with the other place in town that is considered the 'adult ultra pool' (e.g. Woodside country club).

Non-members prices are on Saturday and Sunday is $15 for guys and $10 for girls. Admission prices go down after 7PM and is $5 for both ladies and gentlemen. They are only open on Fridays from noon to 3am, Saturdays from 11am to 3am, Sundays from 11am to 8pm.

My thoughts? Membership prices to The Jones are insane. The setup and view however, are great. But- all-in-all, it's a plus for downtown Kansas City. While it's not for everyone, it's yet another option of something to do in KC. I'm not sure what to predict as for the size of the crowds that will be there as the summer progresses, but it's a cool place that I think you should at least check out.

Check out my video blog below!

--
http://www.ramseymohsen.com

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Membership does get you into the pool everyday though, not just tue, fri-sun.

If one doesn't have a pool in their condo and they love pools its a great amentity.

Most of this info has already been covered in the other jones pool thread FYI.

ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ramseym_com »

Thanks for the clarification KCPowercat -- didn't know it was already posted, I haven't been following the other thread :)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yet another entry in the "i'm glad it's there for those who like it, but i hope i never go there" category.  the asinine "membership" fees and $15 entry charge pretty much guarantees my non-attendance, though. 

does anyone know how their "memberships" are selling?  i personally think this is just a marketing ploy, to make people think that elite big-spenders are paying upwards of $300/month to go to this pool.  this veneer of "exclusivity" then causes Johnny Escalade to pony up $15 + drinks to bask in the warm glow of all that prestige and potential JoCo trim.  of course, if anyone actually springs for a membership, all the better for cordish. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Went up on Saturday late afternoon to check this place out and it was all spikey-haired douches and bouncing tramp stamps.  I wouldn't get in that pool if you paid me. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I have to wonder if they aren't marketing some of the memberships as executive perks to DT companies - not that it is probably a good time to be trying to sell for such a market. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Looks pretty cool, even though it seems overrun with d-bags.  It might be a place I'd go once a summer if I lived in KC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

all I have to say is they better clean that pool on a weekly basis.  Went up there and immediately started looking for some hand sanitizer. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The people I witnessed friday seemed pretty normal..yeah for blindly calling them d'bags though.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No idea how they are selling but for the number of condo buildings that don't have a pool, I can see those residents wanting that type of option.

Maybe if stretch blessed it, the forum would accept it :)

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i'm sure the crowd will be pretty typical P+L, with a healthy smattering of Blonde-esque d-baggery - Ed Hardy t-shirts over a suit jacket dudes and their scantily-clad hangers-on. 

saw a guy heading to the pool while driving to dinner saturday night.  had the most righteous bro-hawk i've seen in some time.