The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: The NEW Kauffman Stadium - post your reviews

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: He also said that the lines are bad in some places for the bathrooms while there were no lines in other places.  I guess a lot of people didn’t know about all the restrooms?  I noticed that too though.  You could walk past the lines and find restrooms with shorter lines.
I don't think they added any upstairs - its the same old bathrooms in the same old shells but with urinals instead of troughs - thus a net decrease in pissing capacity.  Fail.  Downstairs they looked plentiful, perhaps more than enough, everywhere but the outfield where folks will do the most drinking - Fail.  Over/under on how many games until someone gets arrested for trying to take a leak behind the carousel?    

I thought HOK was practiced at this - seems like it would be painfully obvious that you don't over build bathrooms near the pricey seats and way under build them near the cheap/beer drinker seats and party areas. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat. i think you are right about the reasons for the bathroom issues but I would add that it was also so packed that it was hard wander around looking for a bathrooms, it was hard to tell where the bathroom lines started and stopped, and the the bathrooms didn't have huge signs in front of them. Most of these problems will mitigate with familiarity. Bringing back the troughs would be a huge boost in efficiency.

Grid. The fountains were on a lot less between innings than normal. And if they didn't run them because it was cool weather then they didn't run them because there were people out there, which is sad, and in my opinion, a mistake. I really missed them. They didn't even crank them up right after the game like they usually do. It's the slow death of an icon.

I would say overall a B, and generally underwhelmed for the amount of money spent especial considering 25% went into that scoreboard.

I would like to see the standing rooms seats gone/or they say we are running the fountains per usually and let the buyer beware, and the return of the grass batters eye.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I don't think they added any upstairs - its the same old bathrooms in the same old shells but with urinals instead of troughs - thus a net decrease in pissing capacity.  Fail.  Downstairs they looked plentiful, perhaps more than enough, everywhere but the outfield where folks will do the most drinking - Fail.  Over/under on how many games until someone gets arrested for trying to take a leak behind the carousel?    

I thought HOK was practiced at this - seems like it would be painfully obvious that you don't over build bathrooms near the pricey seats and way under build them near the cheap/beer drinker seats and party areas. 
There are some new ones under the new canopy with the new concession stands (the new freestanding structures on the new part of the concourses) that didn't have any lines.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: KCPowercat. i think you are right about the reasons for the bathroom issues but I would add that it was also so packed that it was hard wander around looking for a bathrooms, it was hard to tell where the bathroom lines started and stopped, and the the bathrooms didn't have huge signs in front of them. Most of these problems will mitigate with familiarity. Bringing back the troughs would be a huge boost in efficiency.

Grid. The fountains were on a lot less between innings than normal. And if they didn't run them because it was cool weather then they didn't run them because there were people out there, which is sad, and in my opinion, a mistake. I really missed them. They didn't even crank them up right after the game like they usually do. It's the slow death of an icon.

I would say overall a B, and generally underwhelmed for the amount of money spent especial considering 25% went into that scoreboard.

I would like to see the standing rooms seats gone/or they say we are running the fountains per usually and let the buyer beware, and the return of the grass batters eye.
Agreed.  The fountains are really the only thing that makes the stadium unique and interesting.  They should keep them flowing.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Speaking of fountains, what happened to the new fountains that were to go in like around the entrances.  Like the Sprint Center, it's kind of a bummer those didn't go in.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I haven't been out to my first game of the year just yet so I'll have to do a full review soon, but I've got a couple of comments-

1.  From what I can tell in pictures and TV the aesthetic of the stadium is just badass now...I love that HOK (er, Populous) ran with the sleek, contemporary look and didn't cave to the 'retro' ballpark crowd.  The glass, steel and concrete combination is unique, looks great and preserves the original beauty and design of the K. 

I also really like the bits of what look like limestone on the outer facade and running down the lines behind home plate...an elegant touch that reflects local KC building materials and is just enough of a softening nod to the retro look.  I'll reserve my full opinion on how well it all works until I get out there though.  In person, maybe the older concrete could spoil some of the show?

2.  The fountain seats and SRO porch look awesome and were much needed.  The outfield now appears nicely framed by seating and the HOF and Rivals buildings...more intimate, more big-league.

3.  The batters-eye walkway must be a joke.  Why even have a walkway there?  And then cover it with weird, temporary looking slats?  Beneath the crown is one place that outfield grass would have been attractive and appropriate, but losing it isn't THAT big a deal given a more attractive solution.  I hope this is changed somehow.

4.  Concourses look really nice, especially behind home plate where the Diamond Club etc. is, but I'll reserve judgement.

5.  The new crown seems to be fantastic, covered as it is in sheets of golden stainless steel.  It appears to catch and reflect the changing light, a la StL Arch, but again I'll have to see it in person.  It looks sweet though and is another high-quality touch - the old crown just looked like painted steel or plastic.

Everything thing else functionally I'll have to wait and see, but I'm really looking forward to getting out there...a DT park would have been preferable but the K really is fast becoming a classic.  It will likely be the only stadium of its era left within the next few years, and restoring it preserves not only an architecturally unique stadium complex but also a nice chunk of KC sports history.  The twins out there really are beautiful stadia - albeit in an awful, worst in class location - and part of me really enjoys the tradition being maintained with these renovations.  Now let's see a contending season - the fan support will follow.   
are we spinning free?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

rxlexi wrote:   I also really like the bits of what look like limestone on the outer facade and running down the lines behind home plate...an elegant touch that reflects local KC building materials and is just enough of a softening nod to the retro look.  I'll reserve my full opinion on how well it all works until I get out there though.  In person, maybe the older concrete could spoil some of the show?
I didn't even notice that at the game or when we went to the open house, but I have noticed it on TV and it looks great on TV.  Nice touch.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

:D

LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

How long do you think they'll let you take glass bottles down to your seat???

The restrooms in the diamond club were top notch with no lines. I would even consider making number 2 there.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yah I really liked the floor too.

One bad thing my buddies every year love the chili cheese fries and I guess those are no more...they were bummed.  I thought they were disgusting so I'm not missing them :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Quick question...did anyone see the "wood imitation" staining that they had done to some of the concrete floors there?  I remember seeing the Royals talk about this, but didn't know if it had come to fruitation or not.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

10,061  Pretty nasty night though.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

bleachers, or, outfield seating beyond LCF and RCF.  they finally get it.

now it's a legitimate park.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Quick question...did anyone see the "wood imitation" staining that they had done to some of the concrete floors there?  I remember seeing the Royals talk about this, but didn't know if it had come to fruitation or not.
Around the food court area in center field.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

GRID wrote: 10,061  Pretty nasty night though.
It was frickin' cold for baseball - especially a 3.5 hr. game. And it didn't look anything close to 10K - but it was hard to tell how many people were upstairs for Royals' Night. By the end of the game, I would say there were only 2-3K people still there - tops.

I had a hot dog at the open house - and it was fine. Nothing special. Last night, against my better judgement, I tried a concession stand cheeseburger. It was awful.

Was also a little put-off that the main level concession stand stopped selling beer in the bottom of the seventh - when it is supposed to end after the seventh (don't they know we plan these things out?). I went to the lower concourse and was able to get one - but they were even unsure.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

How many times were they gonna show that d bag in the Boston Hat? But, the people in Rivals looked like they were having a good time. Ballsy on a Monday after a long holiday weekend.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Whole league is showing signs of the economy - league average through opening week was 31k a game, which is apparently significantly down.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: 10,061  Pretty nasty night though.
Why I never understood the renovations vote. If you're going to renovate, why not go the extra mile and build the rolling roof?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Why I never understood the renovations vote. If you're going to renovate, why not go the extra mile and build the rolling roof?
Just wait till the Twinkies open their roofless park next year - we will be the only team in the Central without a major risk of opening week blizzards. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Let's rename it - the AL North. Or, better yet, the AL Norris Division (Chi/Min/Det would all feel at home).
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.