Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by kucer »

Place is outta sight.  My wife & I loved it.

The Au Poivre was had the perfect amount of kick.  Perfectly cooked.

My wifes Turkey Burger was the best I ever had, but that may have to do with the butter they put in the middle to keep it from drying out. 

Pale Ale Rings were off the hook.

Waitress, Mandy, was top shelf.  Suggested some great beers.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I got a chance to enjoy an Au Poivre burger a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Really great beer selection too. The place gets slammed on the weekends though and the space is so tight. I hope they're expanding.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

We went there for lunch after Iron Man this afternoon, & both thought it was fantastic. I felt kinda stupid spending $35 for a hamburger meal, but then again we didn't have to order beer & an ice cream float, either.

Couple things I didn't see anyone mention :

1. They have an $8 lunch special where you combine a burger with a side. I thought this was a great deal.

2. They appear to officially be open 7 days a week now.

We'll definitely go back - the food was absolutely delicious. The only complaint I had was the noise level in the joint...it was crazy loud.
JWest
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JWest »

Awesome place...

I've had the American Kobe Burger twice now and I agree with the rest...the beer selection is great...actually the whole beverage selection is great. They even sell Dad's Root beer.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Just wish all their bottles were cold.  I hate warm pop, ice or not.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Finally made it there for lunch today.  Great pork burger, caesar salad well above average, onion rings very tasty.  Can't say the white wall decor as an attempt of modernism works in that space.  It's a real shame the tin ceilings were painted, but that happened beforehand with the Mexican place.  They do need to put curtains along the blank wall to cut noise down.

Overall, much much better than Chefburger.  This should break the death spell of that spot.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

DiggityDawg wrote: We went there for lunch after Iron Man this afternoon, & both thought it was fantastic. I felt kinda stupid spending $35 for a hamburger meal, but then again we didn't have to order beer & an ice cream float, either.

Couple things I didn't see anyone mention :

1. They have an $8 lunch special where you combine a burger with a side. I thought this was a great deal.

2. They appear to officially be open 7 days a week now.

We'll definitely go back - the food was absolutely delicious. The only complaint I had was the noise level in the joint...it was crazy loud.
My understanding is that the "lunch special" burgers are not full-size, or at least not the size of the dinner burgers (can anybody confirm? I don't remember where I read it), otherwise it WOULD be a great deal. 

The BF wasn't impressed with their classic (or the fact that he couldn't get BBQ sauce), but I thought the Inside Out burger (the one with the bleu cheese center) was outta this world, as were the onion rings.  However, I am so not dropping the better part of a fifty dollar bill for a burger joint in Westport too often.  It's good; it's just not THAT good, for what it is.  I get that you pay for kitschy-cute ambience, but, still.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

However, I am so not dropping the better part of a fifty dollar bill for a burger joint in Westport too often.  It's good; it's just not THAT good, for what it is.  I get that you pay for kitschy-cute ambience, but, still.
It's a quality issue with me. For a meal where someone puts effort into everything from the main course and side courses to the garnishes, condiments and alcohol choices - I'm willing to pay a premium. The fact that it's a burger place really doesn't factor into the decision for me.

And Kitschy-cute? Wannabe euro-bistro maybe, but not kitschy.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

Jess wrote: My understanding is that the "lunch special" burgers are not full-size, or at least not the size of the dinner burgers (can anybody confirm? I don't remember where I read it), otherwise it WOULD be a great deal. 
It's been a while since I had the Lunch Special, but they were the same size at the time.  Cannot say whether this has changed - was in there Sunday and can confirm they are now open 7 days/week.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

For lunch the sides are on the plate with the burger and are smaller sizes.  You get 3-4 onion rings instead of 20.  For dinner, the sides come in a shopping cart.  The burgers seem to be the same size though. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

My lunch was almost more than I could eat.  Almost couldn't finish the pork burger despite how good it was.  Salad was decent size.  I had one of co-workers onion rings as it was too much for him.

Can't wait to try other burgers.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

WSPanic wrote: It's a quality issue with me. For a meal where someone puts effort into everything from the main course and side courses to the garnishes, condiments and alcohol choices - I'm willing to pay a premium. The fact that it's a burger place really doesn't factor into the decision for me.

And Kitschy-cute? Wannabe euro-bistro maybe, but not kitschy.
To me, the shopping carts and retro soda bottles are the epitome of kitsch - not that that's a bad thing. And upon reflection, I still can't personally justify $50 for two people at a burger joint, in general; not when there are good burgers to be had much cheaper in the area.  Just my blue collar roots. But to each his own
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I went last weekend, had the classic burger.  Thought it was a solid burger, and thought it was reasonably priced (again comparing with what i'd get at an Applebee's/Buffalo Wild Wings/Chili's/etc i have no complaints.  It's an undoubted steal compared with what you'd get at Cheesecake pricewise).  Split one order of fries between three people, probably not enough for three, but one order is more than enough for one person.  Fries were alright, kind of dark, tepidly warm, didn't blow me away but solid.

We all had Diet Cokes, and it came out to about 37 bucks (not including tip).  I think the one 8 oz bottle of soda for 2 bucks is a rip off, and would be my biggest complaint.  Then again, i probably should have gone for one of the specialty sodas (that might have justified the price), but i wasn't really thinking of it at the time. 

I thought overall it was good, i'll be sure to check it out again and order one of the more exotic burgers and sodas.  I wasn't blown away (and it's hard to be blown away when you can make the food item at home just the way you like it) but it's definitely the kind of place i'd go to with friends or family.  In terms of this vs Chefburger, i could easily go either way taste wise, deciding factors would have more to do with what mood i was in (i.e sitdown or not), where i was heading afterwards, whether i was in a hurry, etc.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

I tried this place out the other night & enjoyed it quite a bit.

Our total was right around $25 for two people - drinks, burgers, shared fries... the burgers were large enough that we couldn't finish up the fries after wolfing them down.

We're going back!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ComandanteCero wrote: I went last weekend, had the classic burger.  Thought it was a solid burger, and thought it was reasonably priced (again comparing with what i'd get at an Applebee's/Buffalo Wild Wings/Chili's/etc i have no complaints.  It's an undoubted steal compared with what you'd get at Cheesecake pricewise).  Split one order of fries between three people, probably not enough for three, but one order is more than enough for one person.  Fries were alright, kind of dark, tepidly warm, didn't blow me away but solid.

We all had Diet Cokes, and it came out to about 37 bucks (not including tip).  I think the one 8 oz bottle of soda for 2 bucks is a rip off, and would be my biggest complaint.  Then again, i probably should have gone for one of the specialty sodas (that might have justified the price), but i wasn't really thinking of it at the time.   

I thought overall it was good, i'll be sure to check it out again and order one of the more exotic burgers and sodas.  I wasn't blown away (and it's hard to be blown away when you can make the food item at home just the way you like it) but it's definitely the kind of place i'd go to with friends or family.  In terms of this vs Chefburger, i could easily go either way taste wise, deciding factors would have more to do with what mood i was in (i.e sitdown or not), where i was heading afterwards, whether i was in a hurry, etc.
Sounds like there has been an explosion of higher class burger joints in KC.  I'll be in town in a couple of weeks; I'm torn on whether to remain loyal to WFM or to branch out to Chefburger or this place.  So much food, so little time, money and room to put it. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Sounds like there has been an explosion of higher class burger joints in KC.   I'll be in town in a couple of weeks; I'm torn on whether to remain loyal to WFM or to branch out to Chefburger or this place.  So much food, so little time, money and room to put it.   
it's just like that much-discussed pizza explosion in the crossroads!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Highlander wrote: Sounds like there has been an explosion of higher class burger joints in KC.  I'll be in town in a couple of weeks; I'm torn on whether to remain loyal to WFM or to branch out to Chefburger or this place.  So much food, so little time, money and room to put it. 
definitely go to blanc.  far better than chefburger.  the truffle fries and onion rings alone are worth a visit. 
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

I love this place as well.  Don't know if anyone mentioned the milkshakes already, but they are amazing.  Foos custard and Shatto milk -- what could be better?  I have been there three times now and had great experiences everytime.  The only thing I haven't liked was their calamari - very think and found it just plain wierd.  Other than that, rave reviews.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I would def. rate the food higher than Chefburger, not that I find anything wrong with Chefburger.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

eclair wrote: The only thing I haven't liked was their calamari - very think and found it just plain wierd. 
I thought it was okay (just okay, and mostly because of the limes), but I thought the portion was incredibly skimpy for the cost. The other sides/appetizers seem to be far more generous and cost less.