Studio Restaurant and Bar - new place on Mcgee downtown

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Studio Restaurant and Bar - new place on Mcgee downtown

Post by scooterj »

I still plan to try it soon, just have't had a chance to yet when I've both had enough extra cash for thee pricey draws and enough free time during a time of day that there would not be a cover charge.  It looks cool from the outside, very welcoming.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

$7 cover charge for a place most people don't even know is there = 18 people there.  Be embarrassed by their business plan.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I go thursday for Karakoe, no cover.  Happy Hour 3-7, $3 draws and $3.50 wells, half price appetizers INCLUDING the SAMPLER.  Now what other bar in town gives you half price on a SAMPLER?  I always see fine print that says it's excluded.  Bartender Tiffany is super nice and sweet.  I'm officially a regular there, and now known as "Bungalow Brad"  I go every Thursday with my friends and usually one other time during the week after work.

I like it, and think more need to actually try it before writing it off based on a single person's mentioning of "pricey draws."  Tiffany makes me double Jack and Cokes for $5.50.  Bill makes a good Chambord (Raspberry) margarita rimmed with grape sugar for $4.50.  Pretty average prices to me.
Boo Radley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Boo Radley »

It always makes me laugh when people complain about prices of beer being too high when, in reality, they're whining about having to pay an extra $.50 or something.  There's a lot more to going out to a bar than the price of the drink alone. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Yeah but if $3 draws is the happy hour price, what is that price normally?

There's plenty of places downtown that have draws for $1.50-$2.50 at that time of day.  It may not seem like much if you're only having a beer or two but it adds up fast if you're spending a few hours out with your friends. 
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Boo Radley wrote: It always makes me laugh when people complain about prices of beer being too high when, in reality, they're whining about having to pay an extra $.50 or something.  There's a lot more to going out to a bar than the price of the drink alone. 
Beer prices are indicators of larger attitudes and since its a quantity good, $.25 increments are plenty. 

Consider Harry's CC charging $3.00 for a PBR can that costs $.35, and so on.  That $2.65 purchases 'sitting rights' and more, but still.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Before this place opened, I used to go to the old Public Library on 12th and walk by there and think it would be a good clubhouse and offices for the local chapter of American Institute of Architects.
There is no fifth destination.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Went to the Studio last Thursday before the Chiefs game.  Didn't even know the place existed.

Anyway, the bar manager and wait staff were really friendly and attentive.  Granted, there weren't more than 25-30 people in there at about 4:30ish.  Pretty cool atmosphere. Good size.  With the stage in back and cabaret style seating, wouldn't be surprised if they begin to draw decent crowds for comedy acts or small shows.  Maybe not mainstream acts, but definately big enough for jazz, blues, etc.  Don't know anything about the food. 

All in all, glad to see another local investor opening up shop DT. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KC-wildcat wrote: ....Don't know anything about the food....
Potato skins are good, chicken strips were a little too crispy, honey mustard was too vinegar-y.  Chicken wings are good, some might not think spicy enough but good for me.

They're open for lunch now.  Breakfast VERY soon, open at 7am I believe.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I'm only seeing typical fried bar favors as menu items listed here. If someone should go for lunch, please post about other menu options that are available. I'm assuming they have more traditional lunch options like sandwiches?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm only seeing typical fried bar favors as menu items listed here. If someone should go for lunch, please post about other menu options that are available. I'm assuming they have more traditional lunch options like sandwiches?
Only sandwich is Monte Cristo. &&
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

So what kind of music are they playing here?  Which bands?  What kind of crowd are they going for?  This place seems bold, I like the risk they are taking with the location. I've always said many bars benefit from being off the main drag (ex. The cup and saucer, The copa room, lava room, the drink, grinders, etc) because they get a crowd that really wants to be there rather than the people who hang around the main drags in the RM, Westport, Plaza etc.  Should be good
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

kc-vino wrote: So what kind of music are they playing here?  Which bands?  What kind of crowd are they going for?  This place seems bold, I like the risk they are taking with the location. I've always said many bars benefit from being off the main drag (ex. The cup and saucer, The copa room, lava room, the drink, grinders, etc) because they get a crowd that really wants to be there rather than the people who hang around the main drags in the RM, Westport, Plaza etc.  Should be good
So far when I've been, music included Tom Petty, Metallica, Guns and Roses, Barenaked Ladies, Counting Crows, etc....pretty good wide selection covering lots of genres.  I personally love that style, switching genres and decades frequently.  The owner told me that in their documents giving them the blessing to operate this business in a historic building, they are not allowed to play any rap or hip-hop. 

Hey, that's just what they told me.  Seems odd, but I welcome it if true.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

The live music on the weekends is mostly local, regional, and national jazz and blues acts. The lunch and soon-to-be breakfast menu will vary greatly from the late-afternoon/evening menu which serves apps only ranging from chicken strips to hummus platters. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just paid them my first visit.  Loved the space!  The beer was comparable with Harry's (aka pricey) without quite as good a selection but still a good range of choices.  The half price appetizers for happy hour were a good deal. 

The Beatles made up tonight's musical selection.   

The full menu is now in effect, including breakfast from 7-10:30 weekdays and 9-3 Saturdays.
Last edited by scooterj on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Went in last night with a group and we were the only ones there until about 10 when the crew from Trumans showed up.  Nice place, friendly bartender/owner.  He did say that Monday nights are loft night with 1/2 priced appys until close for all loft residents.  He also gave me a bunch of flyers to hang up in my building which are good for a free appetizer.  We had a total of 12 drinks and my bill was 30 bucks.  I think he may have thrown a few in for free though.  I will definately be heading back to support the local business.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Just had breakfast there this morning.  It was pretty good, but we were one of two groups patronizing the business this morning :(

If you have ever complained about not having enough options inside the loop, then please go give this place some business.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dangerboy wrote: It was pretty good...
deets?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I'll keep going to Azul, 13th Street Grill, Zoo Bar, and if I do eat breakfast, Perk Up! when it opens. Studio Bar has been tainted, that's Mark Fuckhouser's spot. 
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Every time I try to give this place business, they have a band or a cover, and I can't hear myself think, let alone converse with my friends.

The food is good, but its impossible to enjoy anyone's company while the bands play in a space they shouldn't be playing in.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton