New York. What would you do if you were in NYC for one weekend?

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New York. What would you do if you were in NYC for one weekend?

Post by Thrillcekr »

FangKC wrote: Fang is a former New Yorker, so I would probably do a much different visit than others. Thus far, I've lived more of my adult life there than anywhere else. Although my twangy accent might conceal that fact. When I used to tell people I was from New York City, they always seemed a bit perplexed.  It's kind of like when Charlize Theron writes on her paperwork for green card renewal that she is from Africa. :P

http://www.charlizetheron.com/Biography/biography.html

Having lived in New York City has influenced me more than almost any other experience (if you don't count single-handedly bringing the Nazis to their knees; and my years as a career coach and personal oracle to Cher)  8)  :D  :^o

I can't believe that no one on this forum has recommended the Skyscraper Museum in Battery Park City. It seems like an obvious GRID haunt. Send your wife to Century 21 to shop (a great old art deco department store by the way; built as a bank), and go alone if she doesn't share the interest.

http://www.skyscraper.org

http://www.c21stores.com/nyc.asp

Century 21 Department Store was built as East River Savings Bank (even though it is closer to the Hudson River).

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/LM073.htm

I would probably spend my weekend there totally devoted to visiting my wacky and iconoclastic friends, interviewing wise-cracking hookers, giving free makeovers to vagrants, and eating. I'm also a big fan of wandering aimlessly through the city.
I'm pretty sure that Century 21 place was one that I stopped in.  It was a complete madhouse.  Lots of stuff but it was so crowded and people were just frantically grabbing things.  Reminded me of Black Friday.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

staubio wrote: If I were there for a weekend, I'd just start walking and ducking into places and eating every 20 blocks.
thanks to a good deal (i think) on hotwire, i'm going for a long weekend in eight weeks (i'm bringing a coat). i think besides hitting a few specific areas for a few hours, i'm just going to wander and eat and sit and people watch. i'm excited...i've never been.

brooklyn pizza recommendations, anyone?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The first thing you will notice once you enter Manhattan is the palpable sense of energy the city puts off.  It's quite a sensory experience.
There is no fifth destination.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

FangKC wrote: The first thing you will notice once you enter Manhattan is the palpable sense of energy the city puts off.  It's quite a sensory experience.
i'm glad i waited this long to see new york, i put it off and went to places like philly first, so it's been an interesting escalation. i also figured i should grab a deal while i can before airlines jack up fares ($640 after taxes for round trip air and 3 nights in a holiday inn by madison square garden).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Since you are staying on 34th Street, the first thing you should do is to walk over to the Empire State Building and go to the top and get the lay of the land.  Then walk up Broadway to 42nd St. and the theater district.  Spend a couple hours one afternoon in Central Park near Bethesda Fountain and the Sheep Meadow.  Best people watching place with nice vistas of skyscrapers framed by the park.  The number of people out will be determined by how cold it is that day.
There is no fifth destination.