Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Post by kcmetro »

BTW, is Famous Daves any good at all? I know it can't match our local stuff, but is it worth trying?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcmetro wrote: but is it worth trying?
No, No, No. 
Joe KC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Joe KC »

lock+load wrote: The loop.  Not sure where Slobotsky is, but Michael's isn't in the loop.
Slobotsky's is on Grand, around 10th or so.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

jimb wrote: When they built the Tony Roma's Ribs on 119th in Leawood, I was very pleased to see the place didn't last much over 6 months.  I would hope the same for Famous Dave's, but the apparent success at VW is disheartening.
I kind of wonder, however, that at any given time, do the Famous Dave patrons at the Legends even know the place is not local?  Or perhaps, do they even care is the better question. 
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Famous Dave's is ok. It's not as good as the local BBQ of course. But not bad for a national chain.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm very underwhelmed by the announcement. was that worthy of a press conference?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

DaveKCMO wrote: i'm very underwhelmed by the announcement. was that worthy of a press conference?
Nope. I'm wondering if they're having trouble getting some cool tenants or if they're just saving the best for last, like closer to summer.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

DaveKCMO wrote: i'm very underwhelmed by the announcement. was that worthy of a press conference?
Press release would have been more than sufficient
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I doubt the press conference was for us...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcmetro wrote: Nope. I'm wondering if they're having trouble getting some cool tenants or if they're just saving the best for last, like closer to summer.
reports (not sure how official) say the P+L is 80-90% leased already.  they are just disclosing the tenants a few at a time.  i wouldn't be surprised if they saved some of the "big" ones for later, but i dont really know if there are truly any "big" ones unless you count HRC.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

I am also very underwhelmed. However, if I remember, I read somewhere that Cordish will usually announce 1 or 2 big tenants at a time, with a couple "fillers" also. I would guess the brewery and nightclub were the "big tenants" in this announcement. Then, in another month, repeat the process. I also recall that they usually save the "really big names" for closer to opening, to spark interest right before the opening. I really, really hope that is the case. Otherwise, they might as well call the P&L District Village "East".
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think Cordish and the city are doing these press conferences to stroke the tenants for signing. If Rufus K Sistersleeper enjoys it too, so much the better.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

scooterj wrote: I bet what ends up happening is once this is up and running, you see the local places (Bryants, Gates, whatever) start setting up shop in vacant storefronts right outside the official P&L boundaries.
Good luck to them in finding "vacant" storefronts anywhere near P & L, and when available they won't be bargain priced.  I'm afraid our local bbq's missed a serious opportunity, due to sticker shock at the rent levels.

Famous Dave's does a good product, for what it is.  I'll keep going to Bryant's, just to make sure they stay open for the rest of you.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Keep in mind that two of P&L's most exciting offerings are not even tenants:   the covered outdoor music venue surrounded by bars and restaurants with a roof that can be projected upon, and the blanket outdoor liquor permit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

loftguy wrote: Good luck to them in finding "vacant" storefronts anywhere near P & L, and when available they won't be bargain priced.
Indeed they will not. But the fact that they'll be priced a certain way would suggest that someone wants their business to be there.

Let's also not forget that there's already an awesome local barbecue place(Little Jake's) already there.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

bahua wrote: Let's also not forget that there's already an awesome local barbecue place(Little Jake's) already there.
But for how long?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

All the tenants, including Famous Dave's, are completely predictable, and will probably be relatively successful.  I would also look for more of the same mediocrity to trickle out of the cordish development for the rest of it's life...and that's probably a good thing.  Very few people care about local flavor in any meaningful way,  and a central business district has to appeal to the masses, even if the masses are foolish, and they most certainly are.  I remember being depressed by the presence of an Applebee's on Times Square several years ago, and horrified at the presence of twin Starbucks on opposite corners of a Vancouver intersection a few years later...but most people would rather be in either of those 2 places than at 13 and Grand circa 2004.  I think of chain stores like catfish bait...they are stanky and murk up the water and they'll catch all the bottomfeeders you could want.

p.s. -  In terms of quality alone, Gates is only marginally better than Famous Daves, and that margin is all sauce.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I read in the Pitch last week that the owner of Little Jakes Eat It and Beat It was just waiting his official notice to quit the premises. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chingon wrote: All the tenants, including Famous Dave's, are completely predictable, and will probably be relatively successful.  I would also look for more of the same mediocrity to trickle out of the cordish development for the rest of it's life...and that's probably a good thing.  Very few people care about local flavor in any meaningful way,  and a central business district has to appeal to the masses, even if the masses are foolish, and they most certainly are.  I remember being depressed by the presence of an Applebee's on Times Square several years ago, and horrified at the presence of twin Starbucks on opposite corners of a Vancouver intersection a few years later...but most people would rather be in either of those 2 places than at 13 and Grand circa 2004.  I think of chain stores like catfish bait...they are stanky and murk up the water and they'll catch all the bottomfeeders you could want.
Aye - and as in all cities, the handful of visitors who actually give a crap about sampling local flavor will take one look at the Famous Daves et al and will know to ask the concierge or a local to point them to one of umpteen fine local joints outside of the district.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

awesomely, there are many fine local establishments within a few blocks of there already - with hopefully more on the way.