Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by DaveKCMO »

mykn

Post by mykn »

Video of drivers celebrating arrival of new streetcar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpuBGNo ... e=youtu.be
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mykn wrote:Video of drivers celebrating arrival of new streetcar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpuBGNo ... e=youtu.be
here's the feel-good animated version: https://vimeo.com/156458559
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Sounds like I'm going to the city market on May 7th.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The video with the self-absorbed drivers really irritates me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:Sounds like I'm going to the city market on May 7th.
Okay... You can go there anyday you know?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

mykn wrote:Video of drivers celebrating arrival of new streetcar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpuBGNo ... e=youtu.be
Good god. The first driver was frustrating enough... "How can anyone possibly think parking like that is OK under any circumstance?" And just when you think that's it, along comes an even bigger idiot!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:
flyingember wrote:Sounds like I'm going to the city market on May 7th.
Okay... You can go there anyday you know?
If you didn't understand the context of that I can't help you.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I understood the context. I mean I think it's a given 99% of the posters here will be riding those days...but thanks for letting us know!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

scooterj wrote:
Good god. The first driver was frustrating enough... "How can anyone possibly think parking like that is OK under any circumstance?" And just when you think that's it, along comes an even bigger idiot!
What was that second car doing? It seemed like he had a question for the streetcar operator or something. I wanted to see the streetcar plow that PT Cruiser.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCPowercat wrote:I mean I think it's a given 99% of the posters here will be riding those days...
I won't, as I'll be out of the country then. :) Here's to hoping there will be a soft launch before the afternoon of May 2.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:
scooterj wrote:
What was that second car doing? It seemed like he had a question for the streetcar operator or something. I wanted to see the streetcar plow that PT Cruiser.
the way I saw it he was trying to pass the train by going around via the left turn only lane. the train honked at him and the driver got mad and hopped out of the car to yell. road rage in other words

the train driver was properly honking their horn as a warning device
70-398.3
Official traffic control devices may be erected directing specified traffic to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such device.

So this driver ignored that this lane was for making left turns only. No matter what kind of vehicle was going straight (car, bus, train), the second car driver would have been at fault in an accident. And if the train had started going in the seconds right before they darted in front they would have been sideswiped and pushed into the car you can see waiting to turn left and one very unhappy guy would probably be out an insurance policy and paying for two new cars and train repair. I imagine that hitting a very large train by ignoring traffic laws isn't covered by any insurance.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

So, if the train is stuck by someone parking on the tracks, you can't go around? If the PT Cruiser driver hadn't come out and the train was stuck, the drivers behind would just have to wait for a tow truck?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote:So, if the train is stuck by someone parking on the tracks, you can't go around? If the PT Cruiser driver hadn't come out and the train was stuck, the drivers behind would just have to wait for a tow truck?
I think they can go around using the turn lane... Problem is this dork was trying to do it after the train alerted with the bell that he was moving again... Yet super busy guy still tried to cut in front... Hence horn to further alert him... Then long horn for being an idiot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:So, if the train is stuck by someone parking on the tracks, you can't go around? If the PT Cruiser driver hadn't come out and the train was stuck, the drivers behind would just have to wait for a tow truck?
You can south of 20th, 9th to 7th.

There's actually bollards separating the third turn lane segment from the dedicated turn lane at several points to stop people from using the middle lane as a through lane.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote:May 6!
Will there be a soft pilot before that which isn't publicized but public can ride?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling wrote:
Will there be a soft pilot before that which isn't publicized but public raggers can ride?
ftfy
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I hope so... But no clue.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: You can south of 20th, 9th to 7th.

There's actually bollards separating the third turn lane segment from the dedicated turn lane at several points to stop people from using the middle lane as a through lane.
Then those bollards won't last long. No way that someone is going to wait behind the train for a tow truck to come move a car off the tracks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:
Will there be a soft pilot before that which isn't publicized but public can ride?
no. may 6 is the date. you might make plans to be up early that day. ;-)