Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

Those possible locations are crazy! No one can say they didn't look at everything. Some weird stuff there
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:54 pm 10k additional parking spaces is a LOT. That's like half of the size of the TSC which I think is only about 20k. Why would they need to build that much additional parking? I can see a large 2000 space garage etc. But 10-11k? The stadium would only need like 5-7 thousand parking spaces total for an average crowd.
If I remember right, the 10k was the amount of parking NEEDED by the ballpark. The point was then made that with the over 50k of existing parking spaces downtown, two ballparks theoretically could fit Downtown. Even with concurrent events at the arena.

I’ll be honest though, he lost me a bit during the parking piece of the discussion. He made the claim that it takes 20 mins to walk to the stadium from your parking space at TSC. Not sure if I agree with him there…

There was also a whole slide dedicated to tailgating and trying to sell the audience on rooftop tailgating.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:24 pm This shows more than the previous release of this image. Assuming this is East Village, the east loop is gone, interestingly. I'm not holding my breath for removal, but maybe a tunnel is in the works?
Would love that

More likely though it just makes the ballpark look better before they actually go public with a site
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Looking at the site location graphic making the rounds on Twitter here are the 14 sites that the Royals have considered:
  • West Bottoms ~1400 Liberty Street
  • North KC ~18th & Fayette
  • North KC - East of HOA bridge along river
  • North Loop ~7th & Wyandotte
  • NE Loop ~8th & Charlotte
  • East Village ~11th & Cherry
  • Jail Site ~14th & Locust
  • NW Crossroads ~16th & Broadway
  • N Crossroads ~16th & Walnut
  • NE Crossroads ~16th & Cherry
  • E Crossroads ~19th & Charlotte
  • KCATA Site ~17th & Troost
  • SE Crossroads ~20th & McGee
  • SW Crossroads ~Southwest Blvd & Washington
KCDowntown
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Some of those sites are strange. It has to be the East Village. The Crossroads sites seem like they’ll run into other proposed projects or require demolition of existing structures and likely piss Westside residents off. The North Kansas City sites seem like they would be dead on arrival because political support and the voters are in Jackson County. The KCATA site, while it would be ok, doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere anytime soon. Northeast Loop would require the North Loop to go away soon, which I don’t think is in the cards by time this comes about (and Columbus Park would likely oppose). The jail site would be pretty expensive since it would require a teardown and acquisition of buildings.

East Village makes the most sense logistically and for what they intend to do.

Edit: I am 99% confident this will end up in the East Village at 11th and Cherry. with the "District" buildings rising around a stadium. I would not be surprised if that means the parking garage at 10th and Cherry is partially demolished and the apartment building entirely demolished, or 11th was slightly rerouted to square out the site. I would guess the total development area will stretch from 8th to 13th and Cherry to the Highway with a variety of buildings and usages ($1 Billion dedicated to a district can buy a lot of new buildings).
Last edited by Chris Stritzel on Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCATA is requested some state ARPA community revitalization money for a garage for a large mixed use development at or near their site. Could be ball park related could not be.

“other (ARPA request) in support of a TOD development at 19th and Vine to support district parking for a proposed parking structure. KCATA is also a named partner on two separate Letters of Interest submissions under the federal Thriving Communities program – one with the City of Kansas City, Missouri and one with the Mid-America Regional Council.”

Info on the second program mentioned:
TCP facilitates the planning and development of transportation and community revitalization activities and provides tools to ensure that under-resourced communities can access the historic funding provided in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL).
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:26 am Image
It's an easy answer. The buildings are bunkered in be pushing lots and then physical barriers on all sides
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Yeah that’s pretty obvious, it’s a terrible location to invest in anything because stadiums on their own don’t present a good investment site. Not to mention the physical issues of the site as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:58 am
Edit: I am 99% confident this will end up in the East Village at 11th and Cherry. with the "District" buildings rising around a stadium. I would not be surprised if that means the parking garage at 10th and Cherry is partially demolished and the apartment building entirely demolished, or 11th was slightly rerouted to square out the site. I would guess the total development area will stretch from 8th to 13th and Cherry to the Highway with a variety of buildings and usages ($1 Billion dedicated to a district can buy a lot of new buildings).
No way that garage or that apartment survive.. the stadium itself will need two blocks each direction.

Would be amazing if this can change up the east loop.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:58 am Edit: I am 99% confident this will end up in the East Village at 11th and Cherry. with the "District" buildings rising around a stadium. I would not be surprised if that means the parking garage at 10th and Cherry is partially demolished and the apartment building entirely demolished, or 11th was slightly rerouted to square out the site. I would guess the total development area will stretch from 8th to 13th and Cherry to the Highway with a variety of buildings and usages ($1 Billion dedicated to a district can buy a lot of new buildings).
It's really the only location that is plausible. I know some want an east Crossroads location but that requires destroying too much organic growth. Had we done this 20 years ago, maybe east crossroads would work but not now. The northeasternmost part of East Crossroads has 4 square blocks that would be workable but I doubt if that is enough space. Too bad US71 is there.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:08 am Image
Maybe the Royals know that the Chiefs are going to do something there, so they don't want to be critical of the TSC.

KCDowntown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:06 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:58 am
No way that garage or that apartment survive.. the stadium itself will need two blocks each direction.

Would be amazing if this can change up the east loop.
Good. Both are pretty hideous even though they are both new. It would be great if they also removed the garage next to JE Dunn. Relocate all that parking underground or at least under new development in the area.

I feel like East loop changes are a pipedream. Again, I keep looking at the Broadway Bridge project as to why. What a cluster F design that is and was designed by people that don't now how to do urban infrastructure in 2022 No money to do it right no real vision to design it right.

The downtown loop should already have 50% design plans to rebuild it and re-connect downtown to the surrounding areas. It's been so harmful to downtown KC that it would likely get a massive federal grant to help fix it. But it's never gotten that far in the local planning stages because KCMO just does not have that type of vision. Maybe a stadium down there will get the ball rolling.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m fully bought in on the East Village location now. I rescind my previous position of supporting Crossroads site.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:31 pm I’m fully bought in on the East Village location now. I rescind my previous position of supporting Crossroads site.
I'm feeling the same way. There is just so much vacant and underused land there to work with. If they truly build an entire district from the ground up and figure out ways to bridge the freeways to connect the east loop to crossroads, paseo west and river market, it would be pretty amazing.

And nothing of value would have to be torn down.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I really like the East Village location. 12th Street seems to be quick shot to and from P&L and there are large parcels available for development in that stretch that would be great for high rise residential.

12th and Grand
https://goo.gl/maps/DSSV7kzjzzuFLLrb8

and
12th and McGee
https://goo.gl/maps/f1qkqNsEM3wyURq3A
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I wanted to attend the meeting but had something come up, thanks all, for the updates on here. EV seems to still be the default and I’m glad because I think it it presents the best blank slate for the large scale development that I’ve predicted would come with the ballpark. I’ve heard going back sometime through an intermediary with direct ties to Sherman that a significant interest/part of the plan was developing residential units. This project is going to be transformational as it will bring hundreds if not over a thousand residents into the DT loop directly and probably many more indirectly.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

5 blocks from P&L to EV new stadium site.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:48 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:31 pm I’m fully bought in on the East Village location now. I rescind my previous position of supporting Crossroads site.
I'm feeling the same way. There is just so much vacant and underused land there to work with. If they truly build an entire district from the ground up and figure out ways to bridge the freeways to connect the east loop to crossroads, paseo west and river market, it would be pretty amazing.

And nothing of value would have to be torn down.
The before/after pictures are going to be incredible
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Feel compelled to share this link again to the Hines Competition for East Village in 2021. Here are the finalists:

https://uli.secure-platform.com/a/gallery?roundId=81

Ultimately the Ryerson proposal ("Team 3" in the link) won...interestingly without a baseball stadium. Anyway, it makes for interesting viewing to see what folks were thinking.