hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by kboish »

flyingember wrote:
taxi wrote:I just wish they were exactly the same and had smaller windows.
large windows are a huge selling point for a home. they're selling to the market

it's also a sign that a home is well insulated these days
I think everybody gets your point Ember, but let me ask you- Where do you see large windows on these houses? Those windows suck

I think you need to assume that taxi is being sarcastic unless otherwise stated...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Where do you see large windows on these houses?"

I would tend to agree, those windows are average size, and I would imagine on the cheap side of cost much like the rest of the house. Would be interesting to see the inside. Guess there is a living area in front, a staircase then an eating area and kitchen with a utility room/storage off the kitchen behind the garage. The second floor would have three bedrooms and a hall bath where the bump out is over the garage.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the last photo of the green house shows a ok set of windows on the side

it's also possible the back has larger windows, but I'm just guessing. I need to make a loop by that area sometime soon
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

the 36th and gillham project moved forward with the council

ord 140117

Declaring an area generally bounded by Warwick Boulevard on the west, E. 37th Street on the south, and Gillham Road on the east to be a blighted and insanitary area in need of redevelopment and rehabilitation pursuant to the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority law and approving the Urban Renewal Plan for the same, said plan to be known as the 36th and Gillham Urban Renewal Plan. (705-S)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:I took photos yesterday of the two houses currently under construction on the east side of the 2700 block of Charlotte.

There was an interesting meeting tonight between the Longfellow neighborhood and the city. These houses are almost ready to go on the market, and John Hoffman had asked the neighborhood to help him with some cleanup in the area. LCA agreed, but never heard back from Hoffman, who instead emailed the city to say that he'd seen numerous codes violations in the area and asked codes to do something. He cited some commercial properties on 27th and some disabled cars. A total of three items, as it turns out. A couple days after that, codes did a sweep of the neighborhood and cited close to 100 properties.

The meeting tonight was to get answers to how a single email from a single developer can call in a codes sweep on an entire neighborhood. The city didn't have a good answer and defended the sweep as totally routine. They were really pushing the idea that how this happened didn't matter, and that residents should instead focus on taking care of their citations. The position the LCA eventually took was that while they have no problem with codes enforcement, the way in which the sweep happened was improper and the citations should be administratively canceled. No one from the city was sure if that could be done.

Hoffman's also intending to put the houses on the market at $250k. So there's that.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Hoffman's also intending to put the houses on the market at $250k"

Are you serious? He must have some very expensive touches on the inside.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yep. That was the figure he cited in his email to the city.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Thanks for the synopsis of the neighborhood meeting Chaglang, good inside info.

While I agree the "developer phone call sweep" is a shitty way to enforce codes, I have to say it's generally a good thing, executed poorly, right?

It would be nice if this kind of responsiveness could be in the hands of the average neighborhood dweller, but this is nonetheless an example of the positive effect that investment in the urban core can have. People start to give a shit about the perceived value of the area. Assuming that removing codes violations en masse in a neighborhood on the comeback is a good thing.

Would love to see this kind of sweep in some of the hoods in the northeast.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

rxlexi wrote: Would love to see this kind of sweep in some of the hoods in the northeast.
Anyone who has ever been to housing court has seen that most of the cases are against poor and elderly folks who are struggling to get by and end up with a hefty fine for "peeling paint", a condition I would wager also applies to the judge's house (sans a citation). Of course, some are valid; but, for the most part, I found on my 2 occasions there the code violations were an undue burden on the citizens.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote:
rxlexi wrote: Would love to see this kind of sweep in some of the hoods in the northeast.
Anyone who has ever been to housing court has seen that most of the cases are against poor and elderly folks who are struggling to get by and end up with a hefty fine for "peeling paint", a condition I would wager also applies to the judge's house (sans a citation). Of course, some are valid; but, for the most part, I found on my 2 occasions there the code violations were an undue burden on the citizens.
your obvious disdain at just fining for peeling paint for residents has merit. should have some sort of remediation program where you can prove your income level and get help from a community org of some kind.

it's like the sign ordinance. don't ticket for garage sale, house for sale, tasteful business advertisements on premis.
ticket for the company spamming signs up and down a corridor.

same thing with major housing violations. if you leave a shipping container out front like one neighbor of mine did, it should be something they city deals with. leaving a bag of trash out for a few days is annoying, but not worth ticketing over

my niceness doesn't extend to absentee landlords or corporations. I think a commercial entity should be fined for any issue.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

rxlexi wrote: While I agree the "developer phone call sweep" is a shitty way to enforce codes, I have to say it's generally a good thing, executed poorly, right?

It would be nice if this kind of responsiveness could be in the hands of the average neighborhood dweller, but this is nonetheless an example of the positive effect that investment in the urban core can have. People start to give a shit about the perceived value of the area. Assuming that removing codes violations en masse in a neighborhood on the comeback is a good thing.
It's beyond shitty (IMO) because, as others have noted, these citations tend to hit people up for relatively minor repairs that they can't afford. Or they hit people up who have just sunk tens of thousands making a house inhabitable after years of neglect/abandonment and were going to wait a year or two before spending more money on addressing the peeling paint. Those circumstances were both mentioned several times last night. Neither are too unusual when you're talking about 100+ year old houses.

I don't think the real problem is people not caring enough about the value of their neighborhood or homes.They're as aware of property values as someone in Armour Hills. Most of the people there last night had more passion than money. But codes enforcement isn't a magic wand. If people could make their houses look brand new, I'm sure they would. A lot of the frustration last night came from the fact that residents have gotten no help from the city with chronic problem properties that they've called into 311, but suddenly had the full force of codes brought to bear on them. And the problem properties fester on.

LCA brought up some good points about how the city handles these inspections:
-The language in the citations is vague, and the city doesn't send out photos of the violations along with the written citations. Some residents were able to have them emailed to them. Some tried that and were told that they would have to come to City Hall and sign a release for photos of their own house. The best approach would be to mail them out with the violation, to reach people who may not have email. But the explanation last night is that that doesn't happen because "it's not part of our standard procedure".
-The individual inspectors give wildly different levels of customer service. Some residents called the inspector listed on their citation and were granted extensions. Others had left numerous messages and heard nothing back.
-There is no accompanying outreach by the city to point low income residents toward programs that would defray the cost of repairs.
-Other neighborhoods, Hyde Park in particular, have been given 30-90 day warnings that a sweep was going to happen.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Btw, the City has apparently taken income guidelines off the free paint program. Max for paint/supplies is $500.00.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

A lot of the frustration last night came from the fact that residents have gotten no help from the city with chronic problem properties that they've called into 311, but suddenly had the full force of codes brought to bear on them. And the problem properties fester on.
protip from downtown council: coordinate the 311 reports so that the most critical ones are reported more often. invite the most frequent flyer departments to your neighborhood for an update (bonus if your council reps/staff are also present). make a list of the problem properties and work your way down the list, cc the city manager on your list.

we don't even have the manpower to do this in the crossroads, but that's how the CBD's issues get addressed quicker -- although, as i type this i'm thinking "why the hell haven't we tried?"
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A lot of the frustration last night came from the fact that residents have gotten no help from the city with chronic problem properties that they've called into 311, but suddenly had the full force of codes brought to bear on them. And the problem properties fester on.
Chaglang, points taken re: the codes sweep. I think the "problem properties" -chronic offenders, as mentioned above, are what frustrate me (and no doubt, the neighbors) in these areas.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there's also a nice quirk with inspectors. they don't actually have the power to do their job right

like I reported a rotting fence that took way too much work to get any movement on (owned by a commercial property)
the inspector couldn't actually *touch* the fence. how exactly can one have a valid assessment of rotting wood if they can't feel the fence, carefully see how the wood moves?

when talking with an inspector find out what they can actually do.
because being able to point to a policy impeding action has way more value than complaining about a person who's just doing their job
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update photos on the progress of the new homes being constructed on Charlotte.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:Update photos on the progress of the new homes being constructed on Charlotte.

Oh my.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Breath-taking.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They could have improved the appearance of the house tremendously just by using a custom garage door design (carriage house, modern glass, etc) instead of the standard white garage door.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this is how we do infill? smh...