Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by chrizow »

kucer wrote: Wife and I just had lunch at GR. That burger was amazing...I savored every single bite.  First time I've eaten a burger and wanted to actually lick the plate.
the genessee royale burger might be my favorite burger ever.  the simplicity of it puts all fussy gourmet burger joints to shame.  a killer, thick and juicy, hand-formed patty of quality meat, dressed simply with citrusy arugula, on a buttered english muffin.  it is the first burger i've ever had that gets the bread/meat ratio perfect - which is to say, more meat than bread. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: the genessee royale burger might be my favorite burger ever.  the simplicity of it puts all fussy gourmet burger joints to shame.  a killer, thick and juicy, hand-formed patty of quality meat, dressed simply with citrusy arugula, on a buttered english muffin.  it is the first burger i've ever had that gets the bread/meat ratio perfect - which is to say, more meat than bread. 
Off the subject but I didn't see a thread for this place.  Reviews are really positive and I like their website (breakfast looks great in addition to the burgers).  I am off to KC this weekend and hope to fit it in....thanks for the prompt. 
brotherdarrell
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brotherdarrell »

genessee royale only open til 4 is a deal breaker
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brotherdarrell wrote: genessee royale only open til 4 is a deal breaker
i believe dinner service is forthcoming. 
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=17140.0

They have had evening drinks and small plates on select evenings like first fridays.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

grovester wrote: http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=17140.0

They have had evening drinks and small plates on select evenings like first fridays.
The gf and I had a "hookey" breakfast at GR two weeks ago on a week day.  Went into work late following a bloody mary and a mimosa.  We refer to it as the "twilight zone" breakfast. The waitress added greatly to the etherial experience.  We think the meal was good too, but we're not really sure.

Life is good.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

trailerkid wrote: You might find better burgers in KC if you stop going to Blanc every time you visit. #justsaying
I've only been to Blanc twice, most recently like a year ago (and the second time I was meeting people who were already at Blanc).  When I come to KC I look forward more to getting pizza at Waldo or drinks at the Rieger than anything else (food/drink-wise).  I don't really "go out" for burgers in KC very often, usually just order one when it's on the menu of a place I'm already at independently of their burger-serving status.  The places I go out of my way to get burgers are Booches in Columbia, Kuma's in Chicago, etc.  KC doesn't really have a burger place on that level, at least not that I've been to.

Never been to GR but based on what people are saying in this thread I might go out of my way to try a burger there next time I'm in KC, though.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: the genessee royale burger might be my favorite burger ever.  the simplicity of it puts all fussy gourmet burger joints to shame.  a killer, thick and juicy, hand-formed patty of quality meat, dressed simply with citrusy arugula, on a buttered english muffin.  it is the first burger i've ever had that gets the bread/meat ratio perfect - which is to say, more meat than bread. 
Thanks for pointing this place out.  Stopped there while in town over the weekend.  On a Friday, it was plenty busy at lunch and the hamburgers were just as you described them.  Do they open the garage doors in the summer?  That would be nice for outside seating (which they seem prepared to handle in terms of space/tables).

Good to see a spark or two of activity in the west bottoms.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Okay...so I went to Blanc's late night happy hour. I'm actually a fan of it and (sort of) regret some of my harsher comments.

The main reason I feel a bit guilty is because I'm starting to feel sorry for the place. I went there a couple times even after my scathing review because it's quiet, cheap food that tastes good, great beer and they have free wifi. There aren't many options like that post 10:00 pm on the southern end of RCP at all.

Otherwise, there's just a very weird vibe in there. It's so very clear their core, local, Midtown or Brookside foodie-type crowd abandoned them. There's just an unpleasant aura in there. It honestly kind of makes me sad. What was wrong with keeping Westport and doing a new burger concept (like b:2) on the Plaza? At this point, I'd just convert the Plaza store into something more like Chefburger or Smashburger. There's really no need to worry about a pear beer and locally sourced cheese curds when you're eating in a parking garage next to Noodles.

I feel like Westport losing this place and the Plaza location being a dud is overall bad for the entire Westport/Plaza dining scene. I'd recommend Blanc move back off the Plaza and into the former Westport Chili's. Put a sweet patio on the sidewalk on Westport Rd.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

You're right, Blanc's atmosphere is terrible. It's worse inside than McDonalds. I know they tried to be super modern but it's cold and boring.  I find myself skipping over it as it's completely uninviting...about as fun as a school cafeteria.  BRGR in Prairie Village got it right and it's packed nightly.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Downtowner wrote: You're right, Blanc's atmosphere is terrible. It's worse inside than McDonalds. I know they tried to be super modern but it's cold and boring.  I find myself skipping over it as it's completely uninviting...about as fun as a school cafeteria.  BRGR in Prairie Village got it right and it's packed nightly.
I think if Blanc went to the current Coal Vines spot they would've been okay. Or maybe even the Baja spot. They really have the worst location on the Plaza. That space would probably only work for a dark, dingy bar or some sort of nightclub. It would also be a *great* location for Trader Vic's to return to the market.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

BIEBER FEVER AT BLANC!

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCMax wrote:BIEBER FEVER AT BLANC!

His outfit looks like a cross between something Latoya Jackson and Grace Jones would wear.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Finally made a stop at BBB last night. Please, can someone tell me why this place is suppose to be that good. About the only thing positive I can say about the place is that the portion size is what it probably should be as opposed to what one may get at other restaurants. Not much taste with the food, high priced and greasy. Granted, we were at the Leawood location but it was busy for a Monday night - quite a few families with tweens and teens.
Guess my wife and I are not into "gourmet" burgers.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I haven't been to the Leawood location, but the couple times I've visited the plaza location, it hasn't been that great. It was vastly superior in Westport. Not sure what changed. Maybe the lower volume in that small space helped ensure higher quality.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Finally made a stop at BBB last night. Please, can someone tell me why this place is suppose to be that good. About the only thing positive I can say about the place is that the portion size is what it probably should be as opposed to what one may get at other restaurants. Not much taste with the food, high priced and greasy. Granted, we were at the Leawood location but it was busy for a Monday night - quite a few families with tweens and teens.
Guess my wife and I are not into "gourmet" burgers.
I think their burgers are good. Given the location/quality, it's priced how I would expect. I just don't think they're any better than Twin City, Flea Market, Greenroom, McCoys, Peanut, etc. Blanc truffle fries are awesome. And there's something to be said for a milkshake with booze in it.

I like it a lot more than Hamburger Mary's.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

WSPanic wrote:I just don't think they're any better than Twin City,
:shock:

i love TCT to death, but their burgers taste like elementary school cafeteria burgers to me. i wouldn't put them in the top 100 burgers in KC.

i think blanc is pretty darn tasty, but it's just weird to pay $20+ for a burger, fries, and beer.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:
WSPanic wrote:I just don't think they're any better than Twin City,
:shock:

i love TCT to death, but their burgers taste like elementary school cafeteria burgers to me. i wouldn't put them in the top 100 burgers in KC.

i think blanc is pretty darn tasty, but it's just weird to pay $20+ for a burger, fries, and beer.
Sir, with all due respect, you're underestimating the shittiness of school cafeteria burgers. I agree that TCT involves a bit of "grey meat" and I appreciate that they know this and thus cook the hell out of their burgers.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Also, gotta say, there is a lot of nostalgia about FleaMarket burgers, but they simply aren't as good as Blanc. Far too greasy to be taken seriously.

Hell, IMO, Winsteads burgers are far better than FM.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

BRGR>Blanc

The Jacobson's marrow butter burger may be the best I've had in town, but I like BRGR and Westside Local for the overall burger offerings.