OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Post by Long »

shinatoo wrote: The sun is the big gold square, the moons are the skylights to the garage.

This one will have water on any days that have rain.
My point was, people are wondering where the water is just because the title has water in it.  The "sun and moons" at the Nelson are abstractions, not literal suns and moons.  Water at Bartle may be some sort of artistic interpretation of water, not actual water.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Long wrote: My point was, people are wondering where the water is just because the title has water in it.  The "sun and moons" at the Nelson are abstractions, not literal suns and moons.  Water at Bartle may be some sort of artistic interpretation of water, not actual water.
exactly...theres not even any metaphoric water here...now maybe "happy green leaves" could be the name...referring to the pots of course...if were going to play the name game...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

im2kull wrote: exactly...theres not even any metaphoric water here...now maybe "happy green leaves" could be the name...referring to the pots of course...if were going to play the name game...

Good point.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Maybe it's something along the lines of "You wanted a water plaza?..... Ok, we'll call it 'Water Plaza', even though its a bunch of giant pots and heads."

Oooh, why not call it 'Pot Heads'?
A fool and your money are soon united.
BigSam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigSam »

KCPowercat wrote: Looking at the print edition and the location of this, I don't think a water element would work well....looks like this space could be used for outdoor events, so don't need water fountains eating up valuable space.....although a narrow border of fountains (like those across from the downtown marriott) could have been a nice tie in with the water theme of the interior of the building.
However, I don't believe that the pots and heads ("potheads" as noted by Gladstoner - I like the sound of that one, I hope it sticks) will allow enough room for any outdoor events either.  Unless you are setting up some sort of maze.

I guess I can say I like this better than the art at the Sprint Center (the flying f-tards), so at least it has that going for it.

Later,
Sam S.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I like the giant heads on top of the apartment building on the Plaza better.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The driveway and the fountains have been scratched, due to cost.  :(  The driveway is not a big loss, there are still entrances on three sides.  The fountains, I'm a bit more disappointed in, but don't think its a huge loss.  The grassy area could be used, as the paper says, for outdoor events, especially since the tennis courts went into Barney Allis. 

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15671922.htm

It could be a good thing, in that perhaps that space could be open for temporary (or maybe permanent) outdoor sculpture exhibits.  It could be a venue for temporary sculptures on loan from the Kemper or the Nelson, or perhaps shows by the Art Institute.  Or use the space as the signature anchor space for the Avenue of the Arts annual show. The loss of the fountian could present a great opporunity for the arts community to do something pretty unique and exicting in that space.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

This was the first shock when I arived downtown. I was not expecting this big building over 670.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

anniewarbucks wrote: This was the first shock when I arived downtown. I was not expecting this big building over 670.
annie, how often do you go downtown? between this and the arena, you act as though you have not been in dtkc in years.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Exactly. I live in Topeka and up until last monday I was employed and could not come over to KC. now I will probably be over there every week.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

KC’s convention renaissance
What a difference a year makes. The convention business in Kansas City is exploding this fall, filling hotel rooms and building momentum with record future bookings.
So far this year Kansas City has pitched 75 bids for events scheduled between 2008 and 2012. "... 30 of them have or are expected soon to sign on."

If they were playing baseball the sales team at that pace would be batting .400. That’s Hall of Fame territory. Last year’s “closureâ€
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Pork Chop wrote: I am just wondering why the city would be giving Cordish a tough time on a boutique hotel in the P&L District if it is known and planning is in the works to bring another 1000 hotel room to KC?
I've heard that the more botique hotels the city chips in on the further you get from that 1000 room hotel, which would really be a carrot for large conventions who want to book 800 rooms at once.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just a hunch, but i'm guessing the expansion gets named after Kay.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

Kard wrote: I've heard that the more botique hotels the city chips in on the further you get from that 1000 room hotel, which would really be a carrot for large conventions who want to book 800 rooms at once.
That does make logical sense. Thank you.
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

photo update:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

got any close-ups of central street?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: got any close-ups of central street?
Are they ever going to reopen that thing or is it going to stay closed until the whole damn convention center is built out?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You can walk across Wyandotte now.

[edit]  You can't drive across it, though.  There's still a barrier up.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: You can walk across Wyandotte now.
Good to know - I tried to go over central not too long ago with no luck, so I assumed that Wyandotte would be even further from being open.