New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

^I agree. If they’re just gonna stay at TSC, then just keep the current stadium. Doesn’t even matter at that point.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:21 am This years salary cap is $209.8 million. So just based on that, they pay over $2 million in e-tax. But that doesn't include front office staff and game day type employees
I thought they only paid that on games they played in town. So about half that amount.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:58 pm The chances of the Chiefs building a new stadium anywhere are so small. Smart of them to start the "we would consider moving to Kansas" trick as they're going to at some point need more tax payer buy in for stadium renovations.

Arrowhead Stadium is one of only a few older iconic football stadiums in the league. It has history worth talking about unlike Kauffman. It's kept up with the times but will never be the fancy modern SoFi style stadium even with a billion worth of improvements.
The SoFi experience is against everything the Chiefs are and claim to be.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've been super busy, so I haven't had a chance to read much about this, but I just wanted to hold my hat up in the air and say I got this one wrong.

Grid and I had a discussion on some thread awhile ago that the chiefs would let you know what they want when they started a coordinated media leak. And boy did they do that.

I don't have time to read through the threads or news, but just wanted to post a mea culpa since I was pretty dismissive of this happening and the people saying it would. I knew they'd come full press for their ask, but I thought they would wait until the wc and royals made their decision and not go straight to Kansas for pressure.

Look forward to reading what everyone has said when I get a chance.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Goonies wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:52 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:28 pm I have also floated the "Streetcar to Arrowhead" as a potential sweetner/incentive on this forum plus something that geniunely benefits the East Side. It's going to be a competition, all of this anti-enriching billionares, f the Hunts, etc. etc., sure that may be a fair position, but overall I like KC with Major League Sports teams more than without. I like going to the games, I don't like paying $15 for a Boulevard but whatever, and I also agree that spending frviously (as shown by surveys) on stadiums is not a good pure ROI for a city. If we can come to a reasonable agreement with reasonable ownership who want to be in KC, AND the voters can back it, I think a deal can and will happen. If KS wants to throw a billion at the Chiefs, (1) see above, that's dumb af for KS to go into debt for after just managing to get out of the massive deficit from Brownback I would be extremely surprised if they would be inclined to go for such a proposal, and if so, (2) ah well, let Royals have downtown or all of TSC.
No thanks a street car to that dump of an area would be a total waste of resources. The city would be much better off having the street car go to the airport.
I've said this before, but once more, for those in back. . .

1. RideKC, Streetcar Authority, KU Med, are already studying east-west connection. They know it's a priority, and it scored the next highest in the NextRail alignment survey.
2.TSC is the terminus, but don't let that distract you from the rest of the route. TSC wouldn't be able to be primary conduit for 80k fans anyways, plus people like to tailgate. Additionally, if the Chiefs build an entertainment, hotel, apartment, type hub, having transit direct to downtown would be a MAJOR bonus.
3. "That dump" of an area is not a dump just by magic. Things happen for a reason. It's has no connection to the city, limited bus service, opportunities, and bounded by highways and the stadium. Even without TSC, it just becomes yet another empty parking lot in KC, generating no revenue but taking up revenue.
4. There is a LOT of neighborhoods of low income people, minorities, etc. and affordable housing between KCMO and TSC. In addition there are a LOT of vacant lots along with dillapidated buildings ready for redevelopment, such as 911 Linwood and Troost corners.
5. The VA. It's a job hub as well as important to get Vets to heathcare, especially disabled persons without reliable transit. Connect KU on one end, VA/TSC on the other.
6. Rock Island Railway corridor connection allows further rail into Jackson County.

It really is about as straightforward as it gets. After NKC, KU to TSC should be the next expansion. Do it in phases, as it won't be cheap.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 pm
kboish wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:21 am This years salary cap is $209.8 million. So just based on that, they pay over $2 million in e-tax. But that doesn't include front office staff and game day type employees
I thought they only paid that on games they played in town. So about half that amount.
I think you’re right about that. They only pay etax on home games.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TSC is a dump. Don't invest resources in a disconnected dump.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

An NFL stadium isn't importuning anybody's neighborhood
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm Missouri is going to try to outbid KS obviously. The question is how they're going to do that right after they just dumped a boatload into the Royals.
Don't assume the same financing sources.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I don’t see the point in ever having the streetcar service TSC. Insane expense to shuttle what, a few thousand people per game tops a few times a year considering the royals won’t be there?

And won’t it take a long time to get from downtown to the airport via streetcar?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah the end goal wouldn't be the stadiums. It would be moving workers from the east side and beyond the stadium.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 am I don’t see the point in ever having the streetcar service TSC. Insane expense to shuttle what, a few thousand people per game tops a few times a year considering the royals won’t be there?

And won’t it take a long time to get from downtown to the airport via streetcar?
You.
Are.
Missing.
The.
Point.

Read my response again. TSC just happens to be the endpoint or midway point really in Downtown to RockIsland RR.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:12 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 am I don’t see the point in ever having the streetcar service TSC. Insane expense to shuttle what, a few thousand people per game tops a few times a year considering the royals won’t be there?

You.
Are.
Missing.
The.
Point.

Read my response again. TSC just happens to be the endpoint or midway point really in Downtown to RockIsland RR.
On reddit last night I was trying to hammer the same point. TSC isn't the point, it just happens to be a bonus stop on the way to Raytown and Lee's Summit. Lee's Summit is going to grow faster than almost all if not all of the JoCo suburbs this decade. My prediction at least. There's going to be a 200,000 plus people living that way soon and the planning for it should start now.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am

You.
Are.
Missing.
The.
Point.

On reddit last night I was trying to hammer the same point. TSC isn't the point, it just happens to be a bonus stop on the way to Raytown and Lee's Summit. Lee's Summit is going to grow faster than almost all if not all of the JoCo suburbs this decade. My prediction at least. There's going to be a 200,000 plus people living that way soon and the planning for it should start now.
Right, and even if in the unlikely event the Chiefs AND Royals both leave, we have a giant sandbox to help develop a new connected neighborhood.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

idk Lee's Summit has shown signs of slowing down in growth, which is still high growth considering how it was a booming suburb for 60 years. here's to the northside of the city capturing those same growth rates it had from 1960-2010 cuz if not the crowd that prefers suburban living will probably just choose Lenexa or Overland Park.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:29 am idk Lee's Summit has shown signs of slowing down in growth, which is still high growth considering how it was a booming suburb for 60 years. here's to the northside of the city capturing those same growth rates it had from 1960-2010 cuz if not the crowd that prefers suburban living will probably just choose Lenexa or Overland Park.
Yeah Lenexa posting some crazy growth. They'll be tough to beat.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Blue Springs has 60k, Grain Valley has close to 20k. Lee's Summit is over 100k. Independence is over 115k. Raytown has 30k.

And you still have far east KCMO (Blue Ridge etc) and South (Ruskin, Hickman Mills, Grandview etc.)

Meanwhile, the ENTIRE county of Wyandotte has 150k and everybody wants to run rail to Village West. And all of Platte has 100k and everybody wants to run rail to KCI.

I really don't think most people (even in KC) understand how many people live east of the stadiums. Jackson County could easily support a LRT system and yet it's rarely discussed. It's not even a pipe dream it's so far removed from planning. Terrible leadership.

The stadiums simply enhance the justification for transit to eastern Jackson County. It would be stupid to end any line at the stadium(s) which is why streetcars are a silly tech to use for such a route.

Anything to the stadiums and beyond should be a more robust transit system than mixed traffic trams which will be nearly worthless for events at an NFL stadium.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I kno this is a controversial take, but I feel confident that JoCo would have higher ridership than any of the eastern suburbs. ofc with the Rock Island ROW the most do able currently is Jackson County, I just have my doubts that ridership from Lee's Summit or Raytown would ever be enough to justify the cost. JoCo is better connected to the city because it doesn't have miles of dangerous neighborhoods, a river, a highway, and undeveloped land separating it from the core. Independence and Raytown are at least close enough to have half decent bus service, but Blue Springs and Lee's Summit hardly seem worth it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am

You.
Are.
Missing.
The.
Point.

And IF the Chiefs wind up building an entertainment complex it will be a very important part of the non-gameday experience.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

For Chiefs games, the streetcar is basically irrelevant, in my opinion. For 80k people, it just won’t have an impact

However, I do think a streetcar could actually have an impact for the downtown Royals games. For most games when only 15-20k people are there, probably a decent chunk of the attendees are from the urban core and would use the streetcar to get home. And of course, this would only work with downtown Royals.