OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by KC_Ari »

I like the whole area. Gives a 30s/40s somethings with kids meet up with friends to have some beers vibe.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:20 am I literally couldn't care less about the ferris wheel. London has the Eye, Paris has one, who cares it's just another thing. Why should people be bothered about it? It's good marketing if anything.
I think it's a neat project over all and personally I have always supported the idea of a ferris wheel. I mean why not?, lots of cities have them and they add to the overall entertainment package of any city.

But if you are going to build one, then at least build one that is not comically small especially when already in a lower sunk down location like that. Comparing this to London or any other wheel is silly. I always thought the one in St Louis was smallish but it's 50% bigger than this.

Having said that, it's still fine and I hope the best for this development. I mean it really doesn't matter that much.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:15 pm Here are my pictures from today. First one is from a few weeks back showing the ferris wheel cars. Another 50ft wouldn't have made much of a difference view wise from this perspective. Another 50ft only would've made it more prominent in a few places, more so than it already will be.

View from the top of the wheel. To see panoramas in full size, click on them and you should be able to zoom in on my Flickr and be able to download them to view as well.
Just for reference. I think the wheel is a good height, has a solid view, and is visible from quite a few locations. At night, once it’s lit up, it’ll become more apparent. It’s the icon of the development. If you just said, “let’s go to Pennway Point tonight” no one would no what you mean. With the wheel, people will associate it with Pennway Point.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Those pics make it look at lot better. Should add some pop to the city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:59 pm the pissing contest about the wheel height & overall negativity toward the project is bizarre. The overall area & concept I think is kind of cool and should be nice for the area. Helping to create more areas helping to connect East & West with destinations. But typical reaction as always is "this sucks, how fucking stupid are developers?" Then after it's been opened for a a month or so the reluctant acceptance and even praise for it comes along.

How about we wait and see how it all pans out and see what it can bring to the table.
+1
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:16 am Annoying that this is one of the most insignificant projects in KC but it's getting 100x more press just because of the ferris wheel. The South Loop Cap is 10x less known and is far more impactful but it doesn't have a big wheel so it doesn't matter.
Is the South Loop Cap really less know than this project?

If so (I think more people are aware of that project imo) it certainly won't be the case once construction starts on the cap
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:39 pm Is the South Loop Cap really less know than this project?

If so (I think more people are aware of that project imo) it certainly won't be the case once construction starts on the cap
I think so. I constantly have to explain it people and they can't fathom it. Honestly, even a bunch of people don't even realize the streetcar is going to the Plaza/UMKC.

But yes absolutely once constructions starts on the Cap it'll blow up, and the day they finally start building rail and streetcar terminus on the Plaza that'll really blow up even more as well.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The negativity surrounding this development is baffling. People just see the farris wheel but don't understand what else is taking shape there. I am tired of reading comments like: "stupid location" or "there is nothing nearby" or "watch out for bullets and homeless" or "why is the city doing this and not fixing streets." The people who comment on news stories are just dumb.

It's a unique development that makes use of the industrial bones that existed there. It's going to incorporate 'neon alley' which will be really cool and more unique than a farris wheel. I think the wheel is plenty big enough. Remember, the bigger it gets, the longer it takes to load and unload. The view will be great. It will help connect Union Station and Boulevard Beer HQ. The bars being developed are going to have a great design with industrial vibes. I think it will be a great alternative to Westport or P&L. Just another place to go and have fun in the city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:44 pm The negativity surrounding this development is baffling. People just see the farris wheel but don't understand what else is taking shape there. I am tired of reading comments like: "stupid location" or "there is nothing nearby" or "watch out for bullets and homeless" or "why is the city doing this and not fixing streets." The people who comment on news stories are just dumb.

It's a unique development that makes use of the industrial bones that existed there. It's going to incorporate 'neon alley' which will be really cool and more unique than a farris wheel. I think the wheel is plenty big enough. Remember, the bigger it gets, the longer it takes to load and unload. The view will be great. It will help connect Union Station and Boulevard Beer HQ. The bars being developed are going to have a great design with industrial vibes. I think it will be a great alternative to Westport or P&L. Just another place to go and have fun in the city.
I think after it opens, it will be a wild success. The Ferris Wheel is mostly their "beacon", but it will add some entertainment value as well.

And trust me. Reading social media comments about any development in KC is exhausting and really hard to ignore.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Midtownkid wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:44 pm The people who comment on news stories are just dumb.
And the people who read them?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:16 pm
Midtownkid wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:44 pm The people who comment on news stories are just dumb.
We have too much time on our hands obviously
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:16 pm
I avoid most, but it's about all I see living 1000 miles away.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Why is the Ferris wheel oriented parallel to the downtown skyline axis? The riders are going to have to crane their necks to the right to see downtown during the entire ride. Seems like it should be oriented strongly N-ne and orthogonal to the axis of the skyline so when the rider comes over the top of the wheel, they have a full on frontal view of downtown. That would provide the best and most dramatic views.

I don't see this being a huge attraction until the rest of the development catches up with the Ferris Wheel portion.
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Are the cars really different colors/models? Are the schlitterbahn people behind this?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:55 pm Are the cars really different colors/models? Are the schlitterbahn people behind this?
They’re all white except for one, which is black. That one is meant to be the VIP car (that’s how Union Station in St. Louis does it). I believe the VIP one has a glass floor and better seating.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ahhh
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

That's a great view of downtown. Even better than from the Memorial, I think, because of the angle relative to the NS streets. The buildings show better. The new apartments on the Faultless site are a nice addition to the density of the Crossroads area. KC is such a beautiful city.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don't understand the cold shoulder to this development, honestly. I LOVE IT! It takes up a dead space that had very little chance of development between two elevated 'highways' and train tracks to the north. I don't know how control of the area underneath the elevated roads works, but would love to see that cleaned up as well with connections to the east and west, perhaps small parks with green space that allow people to have a picnic or hang out.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Of all the recent threads on KCRag, this has to be the most engaged with. The past 8 pages have posts from the past 3.5 weeks. This thread had doubled in size since mid-July. Lots of attention, lots of good discussions, lots of opinions.

If I were the developer quietly snooping around on this forum, and elsewhere, I'd be extremely happy with the attention this continues to get. It's free advertising!

But in all seriousness, as I said a while ago, I'm looking forward to this and will come down here often to hang around with friends. It's an interesting development developed by local guys with some unique aspects. A visit to my preferred taco shop (Tacos El Gallo) on Southwest, then a stop by Boulevard Brewery, and ending the evening at Pennway Point sounds like a nice plan.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Chris, I forgot to say thanks for the photos. These and all the others you have taken and posted on KCRag.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

My biggest fear is this project ends up being a ferris wheel and that's it. This developer seems to have several projects that never complete or stay in limbo for years. The former Kansas City Star Building was purchased 5 years ago and as far as I know, it's still empty.

I'm guessing ICON doesn't sell these ferris wheels but do some kind of revenue share or simply lease the space and operate it independently. So it's possible this Ferris Wheel is the only reason to go here for months and months.