hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by chrizow »

beautyfromashes wrote: My point is that they lost all connection to the past with this house.  It lost it's soul.  And while I greatly appreciate this new creation, it still stings a little to see something lost.
i agree, though i would fault the generations of owners (or neglecters) who let such a cool house degrade that far to begin with.  given its vintage, it was very likely a farmhouse that predated by about 20 years what became the "suburban" area we now call south hyde park.  i think the current owners paid something like $50K for the house and the double-lot the house sits on - even in a down market, a 3,000-sq ft POS in a decent area should bring close to $100K.  i am guessing the thing was a total wreck.  

some friends of ours just bought a brick victorian home in north hyde park that also received a to-the-studs renovation/rebuild, though the house retained a lot more original features than the 3918 Holmes house.  the victorian was a wreck that the rehabbers bought for like $30K, dumped probably $75K and a lot of elbow grease into, then sold for a nice profit.  it is this sort of thing that we need much more of in midtown.  just about every block of midtown has a handful (or more) junky houses that need some serious TLC.  one can hope for period-appropriate restoration, but where that is not realistic, i am fine with a total re-build - particularly in an attractive modernist style (i.e. not an olathe mcmansion style.).  

plus, there are a lot of buyers who might like to live in the city, but may be attracted to a more suburban-style home interior.  if we can attract or retain more young buyers like this, all the better - even at the expense of some nice woodwork.
Last edited by chrizow on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Every other block in Midtown?  Ha, just about every other house on the East Side needs to be rehabbed
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^^
yes, I totally agree and perhaps came on a little strong against someone who put in a lot of work to rebuild a house in the city.  Good for them.  The house looks beautiful.  I hope they do another one but with the twist of honoring the original house and it's history in some small, but endearing way.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

We should be more than willing to sacrifice the interior of an old stone house to add to the stability of our inter city neighborhoods.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
teleology
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teleology »

chrizow wrote: i agree, though i would fault the generations of owners (or neglecters) who let such a cool house degrade that far to begin with.  given its vintage, it was very likely a farmhouse that predated by about 20 years what became the "suburban" area we now call south hyde park.  i think the current owners paid something like $50K for the house and the double-lot the house sits on - even in a down market, a 3,000-sq ft POS in a decent area should bring close to $100K.  i am guessing the thing was a total wreck.  
For a sense of the market in the area, my husband bought our house (at 40th & Locust), with a similar square footage - but recently renovated back into a single family home from apartments, with freshly refinished original hardwood floors, five bedrooms/offices, and four bathrooms, for $134k... after it had sat on the market for over a year and come down in price more than $100k.

For what it's worth, I've been reading that homeowner's blog about their renovation for a few months and coveting many of its facets hungrily.  Our 100+ year old house has a kitchen smaller than any apartment I've ever had, and that (combined with several other factors) is going to lead us to a major renovation of the back half of our house within the next year or two.  Our house is already a compromise (successful, I think) between our taste for modern furnishings and our 1910ish home, and it's going to take an adept touch to handle a renovation that is both clean and modern, and in touch with our home.  I think they did a good job of doing precisely that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Hyde Park Garage sale this weekend, this link has a map of homes doing the sale and what kind of items being offered. 
http://www.hydeparkkc.org/documents/Hyd ... e-2011.pdf
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

vintage playboy magazines!  nice! :P
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

grovester wrote: vintage playboy playgirl magazines!  nice! :P
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think there is still a final-final vote forthcoming this week, but i understand it is a done-deal that acadamie lafayette has acquired the longan building at 34th and Cherry in north hyde park.  we went to a public/AL "open house" saturday morning and toured the building.  needs some elbow grease, but it should be a good fit for the K-2 program and a huge asset to hyde park. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote: i think there is still a final-final vote forthcoming this week, but i understand it is a done-deal that acadamie lafayette has acquired the longan building at 34th and Cherry in north hyde park.  we went to a public/AL "open house" saturday morning and toured the building.  needs some elbow grease, but it should be a good fit for the K-2 program and a huge asset to hyde park.  
I've heard they are going to move classes for the second half of the year, spending the next several months fixing the building up.  A few of the classrooms didn't have air conditioning and there is just a general sense of disrepair.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Looking at the old school board agenda, it sounds like Academie Lafayette has been granted a one-year lease with an option to buy for $1million. I presume this is so the school can get financing and a capital campaign together.

As a parent and neighbor, I'm hoping for an earlier move than the new year.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

http://midtownkcpost.com/2013/06/11/wha ... -hyde-park

Looks like the stable at 39th and Gillham won't be renovated by Paul Mesner Puppets after all.

This should be a bar/restaurant. I need a place to drink within walking distance of my new house.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Volker Dad wrote:http://midtownkcpost.com/2013/06/11/wha ... -hyde-park

Looks like the stable at 39th and Gillham won't be renovated by Paul Mesner Puppets after all.

This should be a bar/restaurant. I need a place to drink within walking distance of my new house.
It would make a great "ice house" style bar like they have in Texas.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chingon wrote:

How about a beer garden like this one in milwaukee, http://www.oldgermanbeerhall.com/estabrook-beer-garden/
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

chingon wrote:

I'm not familiar with that, but I'm sure it's awesome.

But really, this place is right at the heart of Hyde Park. It would be a perfect place to drink with neighbors while the kids play at the park.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I'm not too surprised Paul Mesner Puppets couldn't afford the renovation. I'm sure they would have to pull a lot of strings to get that money.

I would love to see a bar/restaurant, but I highly doubt that would happen.

1. The HPNA and it's board are full of NIMBYs who would most likely shut down any attempt to get a liquor license.

2. The cost of the renovation will likely be too high for a commercial business without considerable subsidies, and I don't see that happening for a bar.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Volker Dad wrote:
I'm not familiar with that, but I'm sure it's awesome.

But really, this place is right at the heart of Hyde Park. It would be a perfect place to drink with neighbors while the kids play at the park.
Basically a big outdoor bar, often with a fenced in playground for children.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
1. The HPNA and it's board are full of NIMBYs who would most likely shut down any attempt to get a liquor license.
I guess it's time I join the HPNA...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I'm not too surprised Paul Mesner Puppets couldn't afford the renovation. I'm sure they would have to pull a lot of strings to get that money.

I would love to see a bar/restaurant, but I highly doubt that would happen.

As a board member, I can say Hpna isn't opposed to bars or liquor licenses generally. Not sure how the board would react to a bar in Gillham park, though its kind of moot b/c I very seriously doubt the parks dept would allow that to happen anyway. There has only been one by-the-drink liquor license applied for in HP since 2008 - for Gigi's, a short lived jazz bar on troost. The Hpna negotiated a provisional license for the bar that prohibited it from being sold/transferred based on some very bad situations in years past where well meaning bars closed and switched over to places that wrought havoc on the neighborhood.