Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Chiefs

Post by im2kull »

So Cassel, a 30 some-thing lifetime backup, is still on our team...getting paid one of the highest salaries in the league, and we're in rebuilding mode.  Right...

Time for Pioli to adress the real issue and decide if this is a now, or later, team.  (Rebuilding, or not).  His moves to this point are inexplicable if you're looking for an answer to that question.

...Apparently the Damon Huard memo skipped New Englands front office.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

im2kull wrote: So Cassel, a 30 some-thing lifetime backup, is still on our team...getting paid one of the highest salaries in the league, and we're in rebuilding mode.  Right...
He's 26.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cassel
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Chiefs just drafted DT/DE Alex Magee with our 3rd round pick. Looks like Dorsey will not be playing for us. Hopefully a trade can be done soon.

Most people are saying he is a rotational guy. I am not so sure the Chiefs think that about him though.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Chiefs just drafted DT/DE Alex Magee with our 3rd round pick. Looks like Dorsey will not be playing for us. Hopefully a trade can be done soon.

Most people are saying he is a rotational guy. I am not so sure the Chiefs think that about him though.
Dorsey will likely be moving to end in a 3-4 scheme - where he would actually work very well.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

I see Dorsey getting beat out by Magee for the other end spot. Dorsey is just too short.

And what a let down by the Chiefs for Mr.Irrelevant :(
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

im2kull wrote: I think this is crazy.  I'm not a huge curry fan, but given the choices...I'd say that he was easily the best option available (Curry).  I can't believe that Pioli of all people jumped on the draft workout bandwagon of Jackson.  LSU's run & pass defense was terrible this year!  Sure they showed a few highlights of this kid doing some great things, but how many poor plays are they going to show on a draft day film?  Get real Pioli...how high was he on the board in January???  He was a blip, and for a good reason.  I smell another Ryan Sims, Junior Saivii, & Dorsey in the making.
Wait a second. I thought you said earlier that we can't judge a DL by their rookie year. So surely we can't write off Dorsey based on Year 1.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

NDTeve wrote: Wait a second. I thought you said earlier that we can't judge a DL by their rookie year. So surely we can't write off Dorsey based on Year 1.
Exactly.  I'm not writing him off, but the Chiefs sure seem to be....along with the majority of fans.  I threw in the Sims, Saivii, & Dorsey comment based on what seems to be the growing consensus among fans that he's a bust....after just one year.  A joke if you ask me, Mario Williams hardly did anything his first year, and now look at what he's doing.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Pretty underwhelming draft, but Scott Pioli has won more Super Bowls than I have. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: Pretty underwhelming draft, but Scott Pioli has won more Super Bowls than I have. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
I'd rather give Tyler Thigpen or Brody Croyle the benefit of the doubt, and save our team 14+ Million Dollars.

Just my  .02
THINK (ONE) KC.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

im2kull wrote: I'd rather give Tyler Thigpen or Brody Croyle the benefit of the doubt, and save our team 14+ Million Dollars.

Just my  .02
They showed a lot last year.
:lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
blujdude87
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by blujdude87 »

NDTeve wrote: They showed a lot last year.
I would say that Thigpen was the brightest spot on the entire team, after Tony Gonzales.  Not too bad for a kid from nowhere, who was the benchwarmer's benchwarmer (Third String).  Looks like I'm the only one who remembers how Anemic the offense was the first 3 games, without Thigpen in there.  With him we finally broke through the 3 point per game average, and ended up out of last place in the league offense category.

Now this is funny, coming from an ND fan.  The Epitany of "Next Year".  Afterall, look what good old Charlie Weiss showed the last three years at ND.  How many wins does he have over top 25 (scratch that) >.500 teams?  3 or so wins, Right?  Over 3 years.  Yeah, That's impressive.  You say "Let's resign Weiss for another 10 years!" I say "Forget about top 25 wins, lets see him beat a winning team first, like the amazing Orange of Syracuse!"

Last edited by blujdude87 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

blujdude87 wrote: I would say that Thigpen was the brightest spot on the entire team, after Tony Gonzales.  Not too bad for a kid from nowhere, who was the benchwarmer's benchwarmer (Third String).  Looks like I'm the only one who remembers how Anemic the offense was the first 3 games, without Thigpen in there.  With him we finally broke through the 3 point per game average, and ended up out of last place in the league offense category.

Now this is funny, coming from an ND fan.  The Epitany of "Next Year".  Afterall, look what good old Charlie Weiss showed the last three years at ND.  How many wins does he have over top 25 (scratch that) >.500 teams?  3 or so wins, Right?  Over 3 years.  Yeah, That's impressive.  You say "Let's resign Weiss for another 10 years!" I say "Forget about top 25 wins, lets see him beat a winning team first, like the amazing Orange of Syracuse!"

Real relevant. And glad the goals of the Chiefs are to "not finish in last place offense category"..whatever the hell that is.
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: I'd rather give Tyler Thigpen or Brody Croyle the benefit of the doubt, and save our team 14+ Million Dollars.

Just my  .02
Why do we need to save $14 million? We're like $50 million under the salary cap. Spend the money and get a better quarterback. Cassel is much better, there is little doubt.

phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I still maintain that Thigpen showed as much as Cassel did last year.  His learning curve seemed a bit steeper than Cassel's, but once he really came on, his numbers were not much worse than Cassel's on a much, much worse team.  I still think it was a good trade, good value for a quarterback and veteran linebacker (value seems especially good when you see what the Bears coughed up for Cutler), but I'm not expecting a Cassel-led offense to be dramatically better than what Thigpen could give us.  Cassel got pretty much a dream setup, stepping into an offense that set all kinds of records the year before on a team that went 16-0 in the regular season, and he missed the playoffs.  Granted, they still won eleven games, but let's not oversell Cassel here.  Swapping him in for Tom Brady immediately made the Patriots a very beatable team, as even the Chiefs themselves nearly showed in week 1.  He may be better (even if he is, it may not show with Tony Gonzalez gone now), but to say there's "little doubt" that he's "much better" is pushing it.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: Why do we need to save $14 million? We're like $50 million under the salary cap. Spend the money and get a better quarterback. Cassel is much better, there is little doubt.
Right.

And where are we now, after eating his 14 mil, and that LB's 7, and with our slotted-pay #3 draft pick?  I rest my case.

The salary cap is only like 96 Mil this year, if you seriously think we're like 50 Mil under then you need to get back ON your medication.  Cassel lost some close games, with a superior team (In EVERY aspect).  Thigpen lost some close games, playing under 10x the pressure, and getting eaten alive by defenses thanks to our poor line, and lack of running game.  He was constantly under fire, and playing from behind.  Cassel could be better, who knows.  Its hard to say untill it happens, but at least now I'll have something to quote if Cassel turns into the next Grbac, or Huard.
THINK (ONE) KC.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

phuqueue wrote: I still maintain that Thigpen showed as much as Cassel did last year.  His learning curve seemed a bit steeper than Cassel's, but once he really came on, his numbers were not much worse than Cassel's on a much, much worse team.  I still think it was a good trade, good value for a quarterback and veteran linebacker (value seems especially good when you see what the Bears coughed up for Cutler), but I'm not expecting a Cassel-led offense to be dramatically better than what Thigpen could give us.  Cassel got pretty much a dream setup, stepping into an offense that set all kinds of records the year before on a team that went 16-0 in the regular season, and he missed the playoffs.  Granted, they still won eleven games, but let's not oversell Cassel here.  Swapping him in for Tom Brady immediately made the Patriots a very beatable team, as even the Chiefs themselves nearly showed in week 1.  He may be better (even if he is, it may not show with Tony Gonzalez gone now), but to say there's "little doubt" that he's "much better" is pushing it.
Great post.  Completely agree.
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Right.

And where are we now, after eating his 14 mil, and that LB's 7, and with our slotted-pay #3 draft pick?  I rest my case.
Still quite a bit under the cap since we didn't pursue any big time free agents this winter and traded Tony Gonzalez.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

im2kull wrote: The salary cap is only like 96 Mil this year, if you seriously think we're like 50 Mil under then you need to get back ON your medication. 
Its $124 Million.  Prior to dumping Tony we were committed to ~$86 million.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

So, Tony had a press conference today at a hotel dt to say goodbye and that when he retires he will be a Chief. It was to talk to the press mainly. Apparently know one from the Chiefs showed up. But King Carl did.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KansasCityCraka wrote: So, Tony had a press conference today at a hotel dt to say goodbye and that when he retires he will be a Chief. It was to talk to the press mainly. Apparently know one from the Chiefs showed up. But King Carl did.
Hope the new Chiefs players, gm and coaches are filling up the Plaza condos that old Chiefs employees are vacating and not buying out in JoCo ;).