Falls at Crackernack Creek update

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: The Falls at Crackerneck (Bass Pro development)

Post by StL_Dan »

maec55 wrote: I'v seen the construction on 40 hwy. But the Bass Pro is also planning - I thought - a second entrance on Lee's Summit Road. Are they expanidng Lee's Summity too? I'd be afriad for drivers without turn lanes there.

Essentially making the I-70 Lee's Summit on/off ramp the second major connection from the highway to the Bass Pro. Lee's Summit has always been crazy for as long as I can remember growing up. Not to mention a great place for the cops to sit and catch speeders flying down the hill from 40 highway.
A few days ago, I jumped onto I-70 from LS Road, but failed to notice if any entrance construction was taking place.  I'll have to drive by another time or two in the coming days during lunch to see if something like that is happening.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

why would an entrance be constructed on Lees Summit Road?  it's about half a mile to the west with residential between the road and the site.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Kard wrote: why would an entrance be constructed on Lees Summit Road?  it's about half a mile to the west with residential between the road and the site.
I drove to that intersection today from 40 Hwy.  You're right Kard, there doesn't appear to be any indication (or room) to build an entrance from LS Road into The Falls.  Too much residential between LS Road and the site.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I think traffic there will just be screwed, which I'm kind of surprised about given the problems they've had for decades at 39th and 291.  This is just dumb--they should know by now.

Unless they tunnel under 470 between 70 and 40, I don't see any new access roads going in there.  40 is the only way in.

Here's to no arterials!
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

There is a road that will be part of the park that will cut through from Lee's Summit Road to the development, you may not be able to see it from LS Road yet, but it's there and it's supposed to go over the creek twice to avoid getting too close to the homes.  It was a big deal when it was being planned.

But yea, traffic will still fail miserably in that area.  All the roads out there are over capacity or don't have all the proper turn bays etc.  Add in the sports arena and all the other shopping centers still going up and it's going to be a mess.

They could alleviate the bass pro problem by building a half diamond at Crackneck allowing access to bass pro and the shopping centers NW of 70 & 291.  That would help a ton.  Similar to what they did at 29 & Barry with Congress on one side and Ambassador on the other and what they will do at 350 and 470 with Blue Parkway and Prior both having half diamond interchanges.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

GRID wrote:They could alleviate the bass pro problem by building a half diamond at Crackneck allowing access to bass pro and the shopping centers NW of 70 & 291.  That would help a ton.  Similar to what they did at 29 & Barry with Congress on one side and Ambassador on the other and what they will do at 350 and 470 with Blue Parkway and Prior both having half diamond interchanges.
Agreed.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I did notice one area at the bottom of the hill on LS Rd before heading back up to the 40 Hwy intersection that appeared to be a few acres of cleared trees and thicket.  I thought it was just another burned out part of Independence or an access for utilities.

Maybe that will be the "entrance" point from LS Rd????? 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

StL_Dan wrote: I did notice one area at the bottom of the hill on LS Rd before heading back up to the 40 Hwy intersection that appeared to be a few acres of cleared trees and thicket.  I thought it was just another burned out part of Independence or an access for utilities.

That's the old recycling center.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

StL_Dan wrote: I did notice one area at the bottom of the hill on LS Rd before heading back up to the 40 Hwy intersection that appeared to be a few acres of cleared trees and thicket.   I thought it was just another burned out part of Independence or an access for utilities.

I wish I could find a map, but here is a description of the road:

"Howard Penrod, director of Public Works in Independence, said the main areas of concern are U.S. 40, Missouri 291 and Lee's Summit Road. An access road called Bass Pro Shops Drive will be constructed from the site of the new store to the west, just south of the Whispering Meadows subdivision, until it connects to Lee's Summit Road. The right-of-way already exists through the Whispering Meadows portion, and the city owns the rest of the property."
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Kard wrote: That's the old recycling center.
Yes, this is where the access road will be constructed.  Over the last several months they have installed sewer drains and other basic underground infrastructure.  They have not commenced serious work on the intersection at Lee's Summit Road since they are still constructing the two new bridges back to the east.  It is a bit difficult to see this construction because they elected to not completely bulldoze the entire area unlike most places around our fine metro area.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yet another delay.  Bass Pro will miss the holiday shopping season and open at the end of January.  Supposedly the adjoining strip mall will open before then, even though it has no tenants yet.  Is the developer in over his head?  Did the City of Independence sign a bad deal??

Bass Pro again delays its Independence opening
By BRIAN BURNES
The Kansas City Star
The new Bass Pro Shops in Independence will not be open for the holidays.

The store, previously expected to open in November, now has scheduled a late January opening, with a special conservation-themed event scheduled Jan. 23, said Larry Whiteley, a company spokesman.

The delay will not hinder preparation of The Falls, the unique retail showcase for which Bass Pro Shops will serve as anchor. Much of the 175-acre site now being developed just southwest of Interstate 70 and Missouri 291 should be complete before Bass Pro opens, said Byron Constance, a Falls developer. Among its planned features are a 70-foot waterfall and an 18-acre lake.

Space will exist for about 65 other retail tenants by the time construction is complete. Negotiations are continuing with possible retail tenants, Constance said, adding that no announcements are ready to be made.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Why the delay?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Same thing happened in Olathe - it was supposed to be open for November, wound up being after the first of the year. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: The Falls (Bass Pro development)

Post by GRID »

Update:

http://www.kansascity.com/business/stor ... ecent_comm

Anybody know what this might be?  Seems too small for an IKEA unless 180k is just for the showroom, not the warehouse.
A retail tenant not currently in the Kansas City market is expected to announce that it is building a 180,000-square-foot store in The Falls around the beginning of the year, Navarro said.

Last edited by GRID on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting.  i would bet it's not an IKEA b/c that is too small and there is already supposed to be a 40,000 sq foot furniture store in the development.  plus, aren't IKEA stores usually standalone and not really part of a development?

how big is 180,000 square feet anyway?  is that the size of a super wal-mart or larger?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

a quick googling shows IKEAs can be 300,000 square feet or larger.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

With 180k I'd guess a Super Target or Super Wal-Mart.  Non-super varieties of both stores are already on the northwest corner of this intersection, and both in TIF-enabled strip malls that would seem to make a move across the highway unlikely.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

crackernecks don't shop at IKEA!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dangerboy wrote: With 180k I'd guess a Super Target or Super Wal-Mart.  Non-super varieties of both stores are already on the northwest corner of this intersection, and both in TIF-enabled strip malls that would seem to make a move across the highway unlikely.
the 180K sq ft store is supposed to be a retailer that is new to the metro, so i don't think it would be a wal-mart or target. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Menards?