Making downtown more pedestrian friendly

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Making downtown more pedestrian friendly

Post by scooterj »

Well if they were out today it wasn't at 10th & Main.    People stepping right in front of traffic and meandering slowly and diagonally across the street was the theme today as usual.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

they should issue tickets to drivers who stop in the middle of the crosswalk too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They say they are looking at both but I just don't see a plain clothes officer realistically pulling over a car who doesn't yield at a crossly and just keeps going. It's not possible many times.
Some downtown walkers do need tickets but pulling people over that walk against a light in an obvious situation they can make it is just pedestrian hostile.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Saw at couple officers out this morning at 12/main wearing tan shorts and baby blue Royals jerseys :).
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

YES!!!   They just nabbed one of the obnoxiously slow people who step out into traffic mid-block from the 10th & Main bus stop.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: They say they are looking at both but I just don't see a plain clothes officer realistically pulling over a car who doesn't yield at a crossly and just keeps going. It's not possible many times.
Some downtown walkers do need tickets but pulling people over that walk against a light in an obvious situation they can make it is just pedestrian hostile.
The plain clothes officer just does the crossing. There are motorcycle cops that actually nab the offenders. I've seen it in action.

I love everything about these stings. I'm so tired of being ignored in Crosswalks. 3rd and Main is the worst. I actually walk out and dare cars to hit me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ahhh, that makes sense. I've not seen the motorcycle cops. 

Give me a badge, I can cite 3 drivers a day on average.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this guy basically yelled at me and wanted to engage in fisticuffs because i began to turn right on broadway from 39th as he was still in the crosswalk (about 6 inches from the sidewalk).  i saw him, and had every intention of waiting for him to complete his crossing.  i dont think my vehicle was in the crosswalk at all; i had just barely began to turn my wheel to the right.  his belligerent attitude made me want to run him over, though.  i was respecting his status as a pedestrian, but i refuse to respect his status as an asshole.

was this a kcragger?  
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: this guy basically yelled at me and wanted to engage in fisticuffs because i began to turn right on broadway from 39th as he was still in the crosswalk (about 6 inches from the sidewalk).  i saw him, and had every intention of waiting for him to complete his crossing.  i dont think my vehicle was in the crosswalk at all; i had just barely began to turn my wheel to the right.  his belligerent attitude made me want to run him over, though.  i was respecting his status as a pedestrian, but i refuse to respect his status as an asshole.

was this a kcragger?  
Hey, uh, sorry about that.  I hadn't had my coffee yet.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

voltopt wrote: Hey, uh, sorry about that.  I hadn't had my coffee yet.
SHOULDA HIT U
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote: I love everything about these stings. I'm so tired of being ignored in Crosswalks. 3rd and Main is the worst. I actually walk out and dare cars to hit me.
3rd & Delaware is equally worst.  A constant stream of traffic during rush hours and the crosswalks might as well be nonexistent because no one ever honors them and lets you get across.    I nearly always have to just start walking and hope that the drivers realize that, like a deer, I will cause quite a bit of damage to their cars if they don't stop.

The traffic engineers would never go for it because 3rd street is probably a vital corridor for truck traffic (wank wank) but I want every intersection along 3rd to be a 4-way stop to slow the traffic down.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Speaking of 39th and broadway - nice to see they are getting some updated traffic lights that appear to be set up for dedicated turn cycles.  That intersection has always been a bit of a clusterfuck at busy times with everyone held up waiting on a turn.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Staubio i'm so with you on 3rd and Main. I constantly think i'm going to get hit there, and people always park like such assholes that you can't see if cars are coming until you're out in the street.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: this guy basically yelled at me and wanted to engage in fisticuffs because i began to turn right on broadway from 39th as he was still in the crosswalk (about 6 inches from the sidewalk).  i saw him, and had every intention of waiting for him to complete his crossing.  i dont think my vehicle was in the crosswalk at all; i had just barely began to turn my wheel to the right.  his belligerent attitude made me want to run him over, though.  i was respecting his status as a pedestrian, but i refuse to respect his status as an asshole.
ah, modal bias. the mode you are using at the time always demands more respect than the "other". of course, pedestrians aren't cocooned in two tons of steel and a half dozen airbags.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: of course, pedestrians aren't cocooned in two tons of steel and a half dozen airbags.
dude was about to be cocooned in two tons of steel...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Chrizow conveniently left out the details about how he was reving his engine at the poor guy and how perfect his aim was when he hurled a near full Big Gulp at the pokey bastard to speed him on his way.  
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Chrizow conveniently left out the details about how he was reving his engine at the poor guy and how perfect his aim was when he hurled a near full Big Gulp at the pokey bastard to speed him on his way.  
You left out the subwoofers blasting post-misogynistic, post-racist, post-apocolyptic aural anarchy.

Not to mention the hydraulic accessories...
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i witnessed a sting in river market this morning.  guy steps into crosswalk as car approaches.  car doesn't stop.  within seconds motorcycle cop nabs the driver and issues a warning.  i don't think the ped ever did actually cross the street.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

there are some truly annoying folks around that 10th/Main intersection.  A week or two ago with the northbound Main lanes reduced to a single lane, I was stopped for a good half a minute behind someone who had stopped while some idiot strolled down the middle of the lane, diagonally.  He didn't seem mentally ill, just socially retarded.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The Jaywalking enforcement has been called off because African American leadership pitched a fit that it is being done ahead of the NAACP meeting.  Apparently it is racist now - but not when they did it ahead of the Catholic youth kumbaya fest.