OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:20 pm Pretty comprehensive video of new terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXe4-r409rI
Disappointed didn't get the newer security process of having your own stall to get your bin ready for security then move on. Those looked like the old version of just waiting for the person in front of you.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:43 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:38 pm BWI has 60% more passengers than MCI. I understand you know those two the best Grid but they aren't really same league to compare operationally.
So? The logistics are the same if on a smaller scale. And BWI has shuttles to an 8000 space garage off site plus shuttles to the MARC/Amtrak Station and Light Rail that directly serves the airport. So the amount of people using economy parking might be closer to KCI than you think.
You are still dealing with a much different scale of operations that while it may make sense to run a separate bus for drop offs and pick ups there, that seems overkill and a waste of time here. It's going to be much faster to be dropped of for departures downstairs at this new terminal.

I was questioning it at first but as I read more and more airports and look at the scale, I think it was the better decision for here.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Open house tomorrow for terminal, I assume many of you are going
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

I'm in the 9AM timeslot. I am looking much forward to getting my daily allotment of steps in at the terminal. I hope we get to have access to both levels and see all the cool features, and we are not stuck to having to be guided around by someone if we just want to explore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think there is anyway it's guided. Now all the stores won't be open I'm sure but I bet it's pretty free run of the house.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:11 pm I don't think there is anyway it's guided. Now all the stores won't be open I'm sure but I bet it's pretty free run of the house.
The email said that the stores won’t be open (or maybe serving anything?) because they’re busy doing finishing.

I had to cancel because they still don’t have a public address and I was planning on taking an Uber.

I think that’s a mistake to not test out.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I kind of agree with grid about the taxis. I was hoping they’d change that with the new airport.

Some people don’t use Uber and you can get very harsh prices these days. I use it a lot and with surge pricing I pay an amount I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable with.

I think regulated taxis should have been included, but I’m also ignorant of the politics there and I know we don’t have the most vibrant taxi industry.

The person earlier that says taxis are coming back at some airports is correct too. At many airports it’s cheaper now to take a regulated taxi instead of ride share. Many now have apps and consistently accept credit cards.

I think it was a mistake.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:37 pm I kind of agree with grid about the taxis. I was hoping they’d change that with the new airport.

Some people don’t use Uber and you can get very harsh prices these days. I use it a lot and with surge pricing I pay an amount I think a lot of people would be uncomfortable with.

I think regulated taxis should have been included, but I’m also ignorant of the politics there and I know we don’t have the most vibrant taxi industry.

The person earlier that says taxis are coming back at some airports is correct too. At many airports it’s cheaper now to take a regulated taxi instead of ride share. Many now have apps and consistently accept credit cards.

Ride KC is working on a better rollout of a system wide micro transit operation to fill this role, so it could likely take the place of taxis going forward. We’ll definitely see though
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:20 pm Pretty comprehensive video of new terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXe4-r409rI
If I can be super nitpicky, the graphic designer in me winced to see how they stretched some of the airline logos on the screen for the multi-carrier check-in kiosk. Hopefully someone goes back and fixes it once the terminal opens and the rush to get it ready calms down. I also noticed that one of the signs in the garage on the arrivals level was half-hidden behind a concrete pillar as she approached the commercial vehicle pickup lanes. Maybe it wasn't permanently installed yet, I couldn't tell.

Really looking forward to seeing it in person tomorrow!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's be clear cabs are available at the new terminal. The question is how to hail one.

1 Kansas city Blvd is the address
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:21 am Let's be clear cabs are available at the new terminal. The question is how to hail one.

1 Kansas city Blvd is the address
Sure, they’re available at the old terminal too. I am referring to having a dedicated area to be clear.

And I know the address. It’s not currently populated into Google or Uber or the likes so knowing it doesn’t help 😂
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Didn't want that lost that it's not like cabs are gone and the situation is better as they have their own curb space even away from uber pickup space. Maybe the directions I posted in the pre-production site aren't what the real life situation is going to be.

I'll be checking out uber pick up on the 28th see how it goes.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I can understand why they don’t accidentally want people ubering to a not open terminal, so it makes sense not to populate it.

I’m sure they’ll switch it over with no issues.

And sure, we need to see how it all works out! Grid was just getting some abuse so I wanted to say I think he has a point. 😂
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:21 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:37 pm I kind of agree with grid about the taxis. I was hoping they’d change that with the new airport.

Ride KC is working on a better rollout of a system wide micro transit operation to fill this role, so it could likely take the place of taxis going forward. We’ll definitely see though
My concern is more people landing at the airport. I live here, I know how to get home.

I haven’t seen it yet, so I’ll reserve judgement. But if we want to keep hosting national and international events, these are things to care about.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Loved it, can't wait to use it in real life.

Do wish their were more amenities outside of security like a brewpub in all that extra space by baggage.

Can't really hang out and wait for an incoming flight or meet someone during a layover.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is there a full service restaurant in departures level pre-security?
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:57 pm Is there a full service restaurant in departures level pre-security?
Dunkin is it. Nothing else pre security
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Check in hall is the only impressive/monumental part of terminal. The low ceilings and narrowness of the terminals with the clerestory concourse ceiling reminds me of Ward Parkway mall circa 1970's. Seating areas are tight with seat rows ending right at concourse pavement. The gates at the ends of the wings are tightly bunched may be sort of chaotic, especially at Southwest. Unsure of how all the food offerings will make it, as it seems to me that most food at airports is partaken by those with layovers changing flights, which KCI at present has not so much of. In past month had two four hour layovers in Salt Lake which has similar size terminal now undergoing addition. Has much higher ceilings and width. The pillars supporting the concourse are massive oval columns not 12 by 12 posts. They have a claustrophobic long tunnel connecting the concourses, KCI above ground connector much more pleasant. Baggage hall and carousels are massive and light years better than old horseshoes. This is a terminal that out of towners can arrive at and can discern familiar function. Like how parking garage has red/green lights that indicate stall availability so drivers do not need to drive needlessly up and down the aisles.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

SLC serves over 25+ million people. If you're comparing our airport to theirs, I'm okay with that.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:33 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:21 pm

My concern is more people landing at the airport. I live here, I know how to get home.

I haven’t seen it yet, so I’ll reserve judgement. But if we want to keep hosting national and international events, these are things to care about.
The stats pretty clearly show they haven't come back from pr-covid. taxis are ded and have been dead